Pilgrims Podcast Thread | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pilgrims Podcast Thread

CarolinaGreen

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
I think Morgan Whittaker may have had more or more severe problems than we realised, interesting that Simon says the club have been able to help him through "serious" issues and that he would have been uncomfortable sending him to Lazio. I too get the impression Morgs may want to stay in his "happy place" next season.
I found that Lazio statement interesting. What it is about Lazio, as a person, he wanted to protect Morgan from? I don't want to make assumptions about them. The fans? The set-up? The chairman? Certainly the area seems nice.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ช Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
โœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
๐ŸŽซ S.T. Donor ๐ŸŽซ
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Apr 25, 2016
I found that Lazio statement interesting. What it is about Lazio, as a person, he wanted to protect Morgan from? I don't want to make assumptions about them. The fans? The set-up? The chairman? Certainly the area seems nice.

Probably down to him and his girlfriend will be their by themselves, their fans behaviour etc

Jul 29, 2010
I've just had a bath and a beer with Simon ๐Ÿบ

Having wasted part one listening to it in the background while staining a bird box (no, literally, that's not a double entendre!!) I had saved part 2 for a more appropriate occasion of total distraction free attention and reverence.

What a bloke, what sense he speaks, what great hands we're in ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

I wasn't going to mention it, I mean I'm probably one of the last to hear it, but then I saw the timing of the last contribution to this thread... two hours before Tuesday's kick-off ๐Ÿค”

Given the belly aching and knee jerking that spaffed on, not even after but DURING that game, I would like to make the case for everyone who went off on one, everyone who doubted the Club, everyone questioning SH's decision in appointing Ian Foster... to take a chill pill, sit down and LISTEN to that podcast.

Even if you listened to it before, listen to it again. Sinners after confession are instructed to quietly recite ten Hail Mary's to themselves. Well this is less boring and more productive and uplifting... for 34 minutes sit quietly and receive one Hail Simon ๐Ÿ˜‡

Jan 16, 2024
I've just had a bath and a beer with Simon ๐Ÿบ

Having wasted part one listening to it in the background while staining a bird box (no, literally, that's not a double entendre!!) I had saved part 2 for a more appropriate occasion of total distraction free attention and reverence.

What a bloke, what sense he speaks, what great hands we're in ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

I wasn't going to mention it, I mean I'm probably one of the last to hear it, but then I saw the timing of the last contribution to this thread... two hours before Tuesday's kick-off ๐Ÿค”

Given the belly aching and knee jerking that spaffed on, not even after but DURING that game, I would like to make the case for everyone who went off on one, everyone who doubted the Club, everyone questioning SH's decision in appointing Ian Foster... to take a chill pill, sit down and LISTEN to that podcast.

Even if you listened to it before, listen to it again. Sinners after confession are instructed to quietly recite ten Hail Mary's to themselves. Well this is less boring and more productive and uplifting... for 34 minutes sit quietly and receive one Hail Simon ๐Ÿ˜‡
We're in great hands and that is the difference. My first real love of Argyle was end of Dave Smith, then Ken Brown. Then later it was progressive under Warnock, but not until Holloway was there passion and ability. Post that tough times with people doing their best Reid, Fletcher and then the Hallett years with improvement and a plan across the whole club. I appreciated Adams, Lowe and then the front foot football with Schuey. I have high hopes for Foster, but my affinity is with Simon Hallett and I've never felt like that about a chairman before.

Jul 29, 2010
We're in great hands and that is the difference. My first real love of Argyle was end of Dave Smith, then Ken Brown. Then later it was progressive under Warnock, but not until Holloway was there passion and ability. Post that tough times with people doing their best Reid, Fletcher and then the Hallett years with improvement and a plan across the whole club. I appreciated Adams, Lowe and then the front foot football with Schuey. I have high hopes for Foster, but my affinity is with Simon Hallett and I've never felt like that about a chairman before.

Spot on.

Dan, bless him, wanted it to be all about him but I've never once put the boardroom above the dug-out or the team sheet in my affections, not even close... until now that is.

And what's most remarkable is that despite being more on the ball, more communicative, more open and honest than any previous incumbent... he's the opposite of some of the ego-maniacs that have been there before him. He takes virtually NONE of the credit and seeks NONE of the limelight.

Timeout

Jade Berrow 23/24
Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
Surely the first chairman in history ( or very few) of any club that the suggestion of a statue for is not entirely OTT. Slightly more fitting tribute suggestion to his legacy would be along the lines of the SH plymouth argyle youth academy.

Enjoy the times while they last. I would be amazed (and delighted) should the next chairman/owner co e close to being as good.

Reactions: ArgyleArchie
Feb 8, 2005
Ever since we all started to follow Plymouth Argyle Football Club we have known that we are a club that has the potential to be in the top division. That word has been used so many times but it has never been taken seriously.

We are miles from nowhere, we have a catchment area bigger than the size of our two counties and a bit of the others to the East, we should have the resources to scoop up all the talent in those areas. Look at the talent that we have missed and lost to other clubs.

Ever since I started to follow the club, there have been moments when I could envisage that we were on our way, but due to one thing or another it just didn't happen. It all fell through. We sold our best players because we had to. I have always looked at Argyle and thought "If only we hadn't sold such and such a player or players we could have been contenders" "We should have built a team around our best players, not sell them on" (it wouldn't have been fair to the player(s) to prevent them from bettering themselves though anyway). But we didn't have the money, we didn't have the infrastructure, we didn't have the Chairman, there was always something preventing Little Plymouth from being able to get to play with the big boys.

I'm not saying that we are now in a position to do that, but we are on a path that might give us the opportunity to get there in the future. There is plenty of work to do first. There will be plenty of moaning about us selling our best players, there will be those that say we still don't have the ambition, there will be pitfalls on the way, there will be those that will say we are taking too long, but I am so excited that we have a Chairman that is so down to earth, that is so open, someone without an agenda, someone who is part owner, part fan, someone who has a plan for the future, someone who has this club at his heart.

I was here at the start of his journey, and I may not live long enough to see his plan come to fruition, in fact he & I may not survive to see his plan come to fruition, but I am more than happy to be part of the journey that he has started, and sincerely hope that he can lead us to the promised land, or at least be as near as we can get with all these parachute payment inequalities. The club will be so much richer (I don't mean just moneywise) for his efforts and I thank him for at last, someone taking the bull by the horns and giving it a go, by using business acumen, honesty and good old common sense which appears to be missing from the rest of the Chairmen of the clubs in the English football league.

Aug 9, 2023
linktr.ee
Hot off the press, we celebrate the standout away performance of the season with our impressive 2-0 victory at Middlesbrough. The panel showers praise on all involved, giving a special nod to the stellar "old guard" players like Randell and Houghton.

Next, we dive into the abject WBA defeat and the post-match online meltdown. The episode takes a closer look at the aftermath of midweek and impact on both the team and its passionate fanbase.

Looking ahead, we preview the upcoming clash with familiar foes, Ipswich Town. And Mark is back as the host for the quiz!

Listen here : https://linktr.ee/pilgrimspodcast

Reactions: jimsing
Aug 9, 2023
linktr.ee
In this episode, we break down the 2-0 loss at home to Ipswich Town, exploring the positives of the first half and questioning what changed at halftime. We delve into the unfortunate first goal and the team's reaction, unpack post-match press conference comments, fan disconnect, and the current state of Home Park's attacking football brand.

We then assess the team's form, pondering if the defensive approach stifles our attacking threat. Is shock justified, or did we foresee this dip in performance a few weeks ago? Plus, a quick look at players with limited game time. We then shift focus to Shef Wed and round things off with a quiz.

Listen here : https://linktr.ee/pilgrimspodcast

Jannerz

๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Jul 30, 2022
Thanks for your analysis guys. I listened to the whole 1hr 30 but sorry skipped the quiz. ๐Ÿ˜†

With the stats you discussed, there seems to be broad agreement they match observations. The final point you made, it feels like it's the key to the nervousness being felt, that if we were to go down losing and not scoring, as opposed to scoring and creating chances, then it will feel a lot worse.

As a minimum we need to be creating scoring chances, or what's the point. At the moment, over the previous number of games this year, as was pointed out (Boro aside), our defensive stats, chances against, goals against, are virtually no better, but our offensive stats, chances created, goals scored, are indesputably lower.

I agreed with your observation, that the exceptional team spirit, and the spirit within the club as a whole, that was cited by Simon as an intangible factor in our success last season, if that's taken away, your left with a bottom budget team with nowhere to go. That felt scary to hear, but brutally real, to me.

coyg. let's get going!

Last edited: