Pilgrims Podcast Thread | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pilgrims Podcast Thread

Jan 6, 2004
Simon said that if he dropped dead tomorrow the club would just carry on as normal…without wanting to be morbid , if the unthinkable did happen , who becomes are majority shareholder? ..has Simon got children who would take control? ..genuinely curious what the succession plan would be if the worst were to happen
Depends on what his will says. My guess would be Jane.

Reactions: doozer
Oct 10, 2018
Really enjoyed both the pod casts with Simon Hallett, very informative, honest with some real good humour. Makes me feel the club is being run in the best and progressive way, avoiding recklessness whilst adopting a clear unified direction, loved his quote if you don't experience failure it means you haven't taken risks.

Oct 10, 2018
If I were ever a coach looking for an opportunity to be successful and progressive this chairman would make sleeping at night very comfortable.

Reactions: Greenscombe

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I was very surprised to hear Simon say 'we could have tossed a coin at the end'. I would have thought Fozzy could take umbrage at that comment. I thought he was being flippant but he repeated it.

It made me smile when Simon said when we have a board meeting, I tend to give my opinion at the end of it, so I don't sway anyone's opinions yet if I want to get my point across, I speak first. That really is a time honoured way of managing groups. Glad to see the art of senior management is not dead. :)

Oct 10, 2018
I'm feeling more and more like MW10 is still going to be here next season after listening!
From SH comments, what is great to hear is the hierarchy have the players best interests at heart, rather than.just grabbing big sums of money, and that can only better for everyone around the club.

This must also really promote our club environment to other young up and coming players, "Go play for them, there give a s××× about you, and who you are. It's can only bode well, great work SH, ND, AP and rest of the board.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I'm feeling more and more like MW10 is still going to be here next season after listening!

I am a huge fan of Morgan Whittaker, but I hope he isn’t. If we have aspirations to push higher up the table, as our five year plan suggests, we need investment in the squad and we don’t get that without selling MW. His fee realistically buys us 4/5 good championship players. If there’s a way we can do that and keep MW then great I’m all for it, but I don’t think that’s feasible.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
I am a huge fan of Morgan Whittaker, but I hope he isn’t. If we have aspirations to push higher up the table, as our five year plan suggests, we need investment in the squad and we don’t get that without selling MW. His fee realistically buys us 4/5 good championship players. If there’s a way we can do that and keep MW then great I’m all for it, but I don’t think that’s feasible.
I only think he will still be here because he doesn't appear to want to play elsewhere, all the talk of it being inevitable is not reflected in anything he has done/said.

As I've said on another thread, Argyle have to look under more rocks than the other teams to find players who can be sold on, and that will be the case whether Morgan is here or elsewhere. There are also other players already at the club who would have a resale value.

Reactions: Andy B.
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I only think he will still be here because he doesn't appear to want to play elsewhere, all the talk of it being inevitable is not reflected in anything he has done/said. .

True but Hallett said it wouldn’t have felt right to force a sale to Lazio and make MW go there.

I don’t suspect the thinking would be quite the same if a PL club came into the equation.

Aug 9, 2023
linktr.ee
I was very surprised to hear Simon say 'we could have tossed a coin at the end'. I would have thought Fozzy could take umbrage at that comment. I thought he was being flippant but he repeated it.

It made me smile when Simon said when we have a board meeting, I tend to give my opinion at the end of it, so I don't sway anyone's opinions yet if I want to get my point across, I speak first. That really is a time honoured way of managing groups. Glad to see the art of senior management is not dead. :)
Thanks for listening👍

Context is key here, as he followed up that point by saying -

" I think people spend far too much time on very close decisions, and not enough time on the process of getting down to the final three ( candidates )". Point being, he felt the process was that good and thorough, that any three of interviewed candidates could have succeeded.

He also later goes on too give three clear points where Foster stood out in the interview process.

Could do a pod with Simon on decision making alone, fascinating stuff.