Paying off his contract | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paying off his contract

Oct 16, 2016
esmer":1nedfzks said:
Shankster":1nedfzks said:
This is a valid point, who wouldn’t be respectful and remain dignified when asking questions of the manager, any manager

BUT this rhetoric about this team having the ability and showing signs of quality and ability is utter tripe. They’ve shown nothing of the sort this season. Comparisons. To last season are laughable, it’s a very different team in many positions and these replacements are shocking
Can't you see it is only laughable to you and some others. There are definite signs of improvement in the Bristol and Blackpool games and Adams track record over a number of years suggests we will pull out of trouble. That's not blind optimism, it's logic.

As an aside weren't you the one continually slagging off Sonny Bradley last season? Maybe you are wrong about the new defenders as well.
Bradley was/ is very average, Vyner Threlkeld weren’t, valid point that it’s a huge indictment on Bradley that he’s better than the current incumbents

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Biggs":244es8as said:
Tugs, I had a go at you last weekend. Sorry about that, your posts are relatively pretty reasonable.

Asking serious questions and being disillusioned and pi$$ed off at the manager is perfectly understandable, as you say. I’m worried, and I can’t wait for my weekends to stop being ruined.

What really annoys me is the deriding of anyone who thinks things will change (the short memories there baffle me), absolute contention that Derek Adams is clueless, and general complete lack of perspective. And even worse, the revisionism that three top 7 finishes in a row, promotion and the run last season were actually ‘despite’ this donkey we have in charge.

We’re not going to finish 7th again, and we’ve had a horror start that the manager has to take responsibility for. BUT we have players and a manager who will get better and are capable of winning games, and we’re only four points adrift of safety with 38 games to play.

I just don’t get how that’s endlessly positive or ridiculously optimistic.
Currently, my optimism is based on the hope that, like Lameiras and Ness last season, the likes of Smith-Brown, Moore, Wooton and Dyson will ‘buy’ in to DA’s
methods and become valuable members of the squad.

If that does not happen, I hope that he gives at least a couple of our young players an opportunity to show what they can do.

I have to admit to being less optimistic than I was in October last season though.

Oct 24, 2010
Pogleswoody":2be8aul3 said:
esmer":2be8aul3 said:
Shankster":2be8aul3 said:
This is a valid point, who wouldn’t be respectful and remain dignified when asking questions of the manager, any manager

BUT this rhetoric about this team having the ability and showing signs of quality and ability is utter tripe. They’ve shown nothing of the sort this season. Comparisons. To last season are laughable, it’s a very different team in many positions and these replacements are shocking
Can't you see it is only laughable to you and some others. There are definite signs of improvement in the Bristol and Blackpool games and Adams track record over a number of years suggests we will pull out of trouble. That's not blind optimism, it's logic.

As an aside weren't you the one continually slagging off Sonny Bradley last season? Maybe you are wrong about the new defenders as well.

Esmer: When Blackpool scored did you think that we would (or even could) go on from that point and win that game? :think:
We were always in the game and once we sorted out the problem we had down our right side (too late obviously) they hardly caused us any problems and we looked very secure. We struggled to create chances but we were always in with a good chance of saving the game and, if we scored early enough, win it. It didn't happen, that's football.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
esmer":25zyi2ln said:
Pogleswoody":25zyi2ln said:
esmer":25zyi2ln said:
Shankster":25zyi2ln said:

Esmer: When Blackpool scored did you think that we would (or even could) go on from that point and win that game? :think:
We were always in the game and once we sorted out the problem we had down our right side (too late obviously) they hardly caused us any problems and we looked very secure. We struggled to create chances but we were always in with a good chance of saving the game and, if we scored early enough, win it. It didn't happen, that's football.

Fair enough, as you say that's football and that's opinions.
I just hoped that we'd get the first goal on Saturday. Good goal or fluke or OG I'd have taken it ... but, as soon as their goal went in I thought: 'That's it, game is gone'.
Maybe I'm wrong but, as a supporter, those feelings aren't always based on logic or actual performance. Just not feeling positive atm, can they turn it ... and me, around?? :think:

Sep 6, 2006
Guiri Green":3b2bfdep said:
Balham_Green":3b2bfdep said:
PL2 3DQ":3b2bfdep said:
Since Adams signed his five year contract he's had a new CEO, a new owner and a new chairman. In effect, three new bosses.

When he signed his contract Adams knew Martyn Starnes was leaving but he didn't know who would replace him.

Felwick and Dunford would have obviously not been part of the decision to award a five year contract but as a board member Hallett would have been involved in the decision process.

Whether all this means anything I don't know but worth pointing out that by October 31 Adams will have three new bosses in place. Adams has gone on record regarding his excellent working relationship with James Brent and Starnes.

I don't think Adams will be sacked before January because I reckon the board will assess our league position at that point and decide whether Adams can have some funds to bring in new players in January or if we are still in the relegation zone sack him and give the funds to a new manager.

It all depends on our league position just before January - I expect us to be lower midtable.

Balham will be along shortly to call me deluded and talking nonsense, just as he does with everyone else. 

ONLY when the likes of Biggs don't talk sense. My concern with the above would be how would a new manager coming in in z January know where to strengthen.

Good point, because I doubt any potential manager would have done any research or been keeping themselves up to date with the Clubs progress.

And of course they would have exactly the same knowledge as a manager who came in in z November seen them train etc wouldn't they?

May 16, 2016
Balham_Green":24mvxrh7 said:
Guiri Green":24mvxrh7 said:
Balham_Green":24mvxrh7 said:
PL2 3DQ":24mvxrh7 said:
Since Adams signed his five year contract he's had a new CEO, a new owner and a new chairman. In effect, three new bosses.

When he signed his contract Adams knew Martyn Starnes was leaving but he didn't know who would replace him.

Felwick and Dunford would have obviously not been part of the decision to award a five year contract but as a board member Hallett would have been involved in the decision process.

Whether all this means anything I don't know but worth pointing out that by October 31 Adams will have three new bosses in place. Adams has gone on record regarding his excellent working relationship with James Brent and Starnes.

I don't think Adams will be sacked before January because I reckon the board will assess our league position at that point and decide whether Adams can have some funds to bring in new players in January or if we are still in the relegation zone sack him and give the funds to a new manager.

It all depends on our league position just before January - I expect us to be lower midtable.

Balham will be along shortly to call me deluded and talking nonsense, just as he does with everyone else. 

ONLY when the likes of Biggs don't talk sense. My concern with the above would be how would a new manager coming in in z January know where to strengthen.

Good point, because I doubt any potential manager would have done any research or been keeping themselves up to date with the Clubs progress.

And of course they would have exactly the same knowledge as a manager who came in in z November seen the train etc wouldn't they?

They could have seen as many, if not more, games as some of the Posters on this Forum, and there's plenty of advice on the Players strengths and weaknesses from them. (Without seeing them train either).

Shm

Jan 4, 2017
Nine pages of crap over something that ain't going to happen, some people have way too much time to kill!

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
moles40":1lw586vs said:
Restricted budgets won’t get you in the Championship anymore I’m afraid.Unless we get decent backing then expect constant hopping between league 1 and 2 for the foreseeable.
The Championship?? What happened the last time we tried to compete in that??
No thanks.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
In out first season in the CCC as it was .....the club spent very little on players yet reaped a fantastic income on Season Tickets which were around 12K,and attendances which averaged around 16 K and provided a nice little income for the directors and their share holdings.If only the board had re invested that income into the playing side....now fast forward to this season..top 6 attendances yet bottom half budget.....you explain....

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
oddball":2hwqa4a0 said:
In out first season in the CCC as it was .....the club spent very little on players yet reaped a fantastic income on Season Tickets which were around 12K,and attendances which averaged around 16 K and provided a nice little income for the directors and their share holdings.If only the board had re invested that income into the playing side....now fast forward to this season..top 6 attendances yet bottom half budget.....you explain....

Income is split in many ways and not just on the playing side. The Harper's Park training ground has been overhauled at great expense, the backroom staff of coaches and physio's has been increased, maintenance of the stadium etc, the list goes on.

On the playing side money would have been spent on signing on fees for the usual 10 to 13 players that Adams signs each summer plus fees for taking players on loan and initially paying for accommodation for these players. Plus there's pre-season and during season training trips to Spain and Holland to be paid for.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oddball":9qpkrqgd said:

Spent very little on players... apart from Akos Buzsaky, Nick Chadwick, Stevie Crawford, Bjarni Gudjonsson, Mathias Kouo-Doumbe, Keith Lasley, Lee Makel, Steven Milne and Scott Taylor (thanks GoS)

Taylor was £250k, Chadwick was £100k, can’t find the fees for the others but wages and signing on fees alone would be substantial.

And back to the present day, it’s been explained several times that there are clubs with lower attendances than us but bigger budgets due to wealthy benefactors and non-football income that we don’t have (yet).

Why do you think matchday attendances = budget?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Biggs":3i99hyjf said:
oddball":3i99hyjf said:

Spent very little on players... apart from Akos Buzsaky, Nick Chadwick, Stevie Crawford, Bjarni Gudjonsson, Mathias Kouo-Doumbe, Keith Lasley, Lee Makel, Steven Milne and Scott Taylor (thanks GoS)

Taylor was £250k, Chadwick was £100k, can’t find the fees for the others but wages and signing on fees alone would be substantial.

And back to the present day, it’s been explained several times that there are clubs with lower attendances than us but bigger budgets due to wealthy benefactors and non-football income that we don’t have (yet).

Very little spent on transfer fees in that first season,fact 350 K.......substantial fees for Lee Makel,Steven Milne ,Keith Lasley...you are having a laugh......transfers were all done on the cheap...not all clubs have wealthy benefactors in this league in fact very few,,,,as for non football income we probably have a bigger match day hospitality suite at the moment,than many in this league ,I have done corporate at a lot of clubs,and have noticed this,so we should be
quids in on that score as well....

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
oddball":1bisumlc said:
Biggs":1bisumlc said:
oddball":1bisumlc said:

Very little spent on transfer fees in that first season,fact 350 K.......substantial fees for Lee Makel,Steven Milne ,Keith Lasley...you are having a laugh......transfers were all done on the cheap...not all clubs have wealthy benefactors in this league in fact very few,,,,as for non football income we probably have a bigger match day hospitality suite at the moment,than many in this league ,I have done corporate at a lot of clubs,and have noticed this,so we should be
quids in on that score as well....

You only have to watch Greens on Screen away day photo packs and it jumps out a mile where Argyle are missing out on a big income contribution that could go towards the playing staff budget.

Take the opening day at Walsall for example. Gills pics 25-28..... whereas at HP, it's the Devonport, Lyndhurst, Barn Park and Grandstand.