Paying off his contract | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paying off his contract

Aug 5, 2016
Biggs":227bfiuo said:
oddball":227bfiuo said:
In out first season in the CCC as it was .....the club spent very little on players yet reaped a fantastic income on Season Tickets which were around 12K,and attendances which averaged around 16 K and provided a nice little income for the directors and their share holdings.If only the board had re invested that income into the playing side....now fast forward to this season..top 6 attendances yet bottom half budget.....you explain....

Spent very little on players... apart from Akos Buzsaky, Nick Chadwick, Stevie Crawford, Bjarni Gudjonsson, Mathias Kouo-Doumbe, Keith Lasley, Lee Makel, Steven Milne and Scott Taylor (thanks GoS)

Taylor was £250k, Chadwick was £100k, can’t find the fees for the others but wages and signing on fees alone would be substantial.

And back to the present day, it’s been explained several times that there are clubs with lower attendances than us but bigger budgets due to wealthy benefactors and non-football income that we don’t have (yet).

Why do you think matchday attendances = budget?

Do you really consider £350,000 worth of signings "substantial"? Hourihane had six months left on his contract, had told everyone at Barnsley he was 110% leaving and they still got £2,000,000 for him.

The signings you mentioned, apart from Buzsaky, were poor players at Championship level, you seem to be reeling them off like they were all club legends and went on to stardom like Paul Mariner.

AN easy way to gauge what fees in the Championship were like at the time, think of what the club for received for Norris, Ebanks-Blake, Gosling, Halmosi etc. I think it was over £8,000,000 worth of player sales.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I don’t really understand the replies.

Oddball said we spent very little on players, I was simply listing the players we had spent money on.

As we haven’t spend a substantial transfer fee in a decade, yes I do think think £350k+ (they were only the reported fees on Taylor and Chadwick alone) on transfer fees alone is substantial, if you’re making a comparison to today.

And Crawford was a Scottish international, Doumbe was Hibs first choice CB, Buszaky was signed on loan from Porto.

These players cost decent money, and I can’t imagine there was much left over given our money making facilities then were much the same as now. This is the period the club were still living within its means, before the boom years of Mpenzas and Macleans a couple of seasons later.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":7qg46b7g said:

Oddball said we spent very little on players, I was simply listing the players we had spent money on.

As we haven’t spend a substantial transfer fee in a decade, yes I do think think £350k+ (they were only the reported fees on Taylor and Chadwick alone) on transfer fees alone is substantial.

And Crawford was a Scottish international, Doumbe was Hibs first choice CB, Buszaky was signed on loan from Porto. These players cost decent money.

Do you expect to survive in the z Championship without spending money?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
No. Which is why the club are putting extra revenue streams in place, that we didn’t have when we were last there.

Though I think clubs that spend £3-4m wisely can get more success than ones who spend £20m unwisely.

Oct 24, 2010
oddball":1i105vj5 said:
In out first season in the CCC as it was .....the club spent very little on players yet reaped a fantastic income on Season Tickets which were around 12K,and attendances which averaged around 16 K and provided a nice little income for the directors and their share holdings.If only the board had re invested that income into the playing side....now fast forward to this season..top 6 attendances yet bottom half budget.....you explain....
I know I'm sounding like Balham Green for which I apologies but that is a ridiculous post. It was primarily spending on players (mainly wages) which put us into administration and almost destroyed the club.

Aug 5, 2016
Biggs":1s9n49yn said:

As we haven’t spend a substantial transfer fee in a decade, yes I do think think £350k+ (they were only the reported fees on Taylor and Chadwick alone) on transfer fees alone is substantial, if you’re making a comparison to today.

And Crawford was a Scottish international, Doumbe was Hibs first choice CB, Buszaky was signed on loan from Porto.

These players cost decent money, and I can’t imagine there was much left over given our money making facilities then were much the same as now. This is the period the club were still living within its means, before the boom years of Mpenzas and Macleans a couple of seasons later.

Jordon Forster was a first team defender for Hibs and was the worst CB we had in League Two.

I'm not criticising our recruitment policy because it kept us up, but we really didn't spend much in those initial seasons, it's revisionism to suggest we did.

Oct 24, 2010
Knibbsworth":3mnl45cv said:
Biggs":3mnl45cv said:

Jordon Forster was a first team defender for Hibs and was the worst CB we had in League Two.

I'm not criticising our recruitment policy because it kept us up, but we really didn't spend much in those initial seasons, it's revisionism to suggest we did.
By Championship standards we probably didn't spend a huge amount but it was enough to put us into administration, which highlights the problem we will have if we get there again without major investment.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1ych4fn9 said:
Biggs":1ych4fn9 said:

Doesn't make sense again. If he was a first team defender why was he loaned to us?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
esmer":222461ho said:
Knibbsworth":222461ho said:
Biggs":222461ho said:

By Championship standards we probably didn't spend a huge amount but it was enough to put us into administration, which highlights the problem we will have if we get there again without major investment.

You took the words almost completely out my mouth (or fingers).

Knibs, I wasn’t saying we spent a lot by Championship standards. We spent a fair bit by OUR standards.

We got extra TV money and obviously higher attendances, which covered the transfer fees and higher wages the higher standard of player would receive. But we had no wealthy benefactor or any non-match day income to speak of.

That first Championship season, as now, we were living within our means. And then, as now, there wasn’t this big surplus of cash that we could spend on players that Oddball is alluding to.

Oct 24, 2010
Biggs":2c9ey3z6 said:
esmer":2c9ey3z6 said:
Knibbsworth":2c9ey3z6 said:
Biggs":2c9ey3z6 said:

You took the words almost completely out my mouth (or fingers).

Knibs, I wasn’t saying we spent a lot by Championship standards. We spent a fair bit by OUR standards.

We got extra TV money and obviously higher attendances, which covered the transfer fees and higher wages the higher standard of player would receive. But we had no wealthy benefactor or any non-match day income to speak of.

That first Championship season, as now, we were living within our means. And then, as now, there wasn’t this big surplus of cash that we could spend on players that Oddball is alluding to.
Not sure that we ever lived within our means in the Championship (maybe the first season or two) but in our time there we built up an £11 million debt due mainly to giving players inflated contracts we couldn't afford. The problem was, as it is now, the contracts were not excessive by Championship standards.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
At another other club in the football league, after 1 win in 15, a big decision would have to be considered.

With us though, I get the feeling it'll be another few months at least before it's even discussed.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I don’t think most other football clubs are very well run, so that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cobi Budge":3g78cu62 said:
At another other club in the football league, after 1 win in 15, a big decision would have to be considered.

With us though, I get the feeling it'll be another few months at least before it's even discussed.

I mentioned earlier that I think a decision won't be made until late December. Much will depend on our league position at that point and if we are still struggling Adams' three new bosses (chairman, owner and CEO) will have to decide if any transfer funding for January will be given to Adams or a new manager.

Adams deserves to be Argyle manager until December during which time he has a chance to pull away from the relegation zone.

Let's also not forget we were bottom of the league in December last season and avoided relegation with ease. This season lower midtable - 14th to 17th - is still within reach.