Our rivals | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our rivals

Who do you think are our biggest rivals?

• Bristol City

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Bristol Rovers

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Burnley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardiff

• Exeter

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • Luton

• Portsmouth

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Southampton

• Swansea

• Torquay

• Watford

• Other

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Thanks everyone who has replied so far and especially to Manchester Green who has provided a draft copy for me :lol:

There is now a poll in place so if you could now just vote via that it would be much appreciated.

P

pafcstafford

moving away as a kid means my rivals are a bit different never really played exeter when i was younger so was never really bothered.

Wolves - cant stand them hate with a passion.
Exeter
Wolves - Again such is the hatred for them

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Definitely used to be Pompey ..the 'Dockyard Derby" ...now I feel envy because they are actually making something out of their naval heritage whilst in Plymouth it is fast disappearing when it is one of the most important factors in making our city unique. Their team on the other hand....

To add to MG's list of notable rivalries: Madrid Barca (political) Malaga Sevilla/Betis (Geographical)
Also, the Madrid Bayern CL semi-final is going to be tasty as there is no love lost between the clubs since Juanito stamped on a German's head back in the 80s. The next time they met, Hugo Sanchez raked Sepp Maier's chest in Munich and the entire team spent the second leg chasing the Mexican around the Bernabeu wanting to break his legs. Hugo was too smart for them, they lost focus and the game, which just heightened their sense of injustice.

Flagman

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
Exeter obviously. But Swindon deserve a mention for being a club we dislike...
I would also add Burnley.

Exeter
Swindon
Burnley

That's my three.

Jul 3, 2006
For Portsmouth fans, would there be an edge to playing Argyle comparative to games with Brighton, let alone Southampton? I struggle to believe it. Surely, a rivalry has to be vaguely reciprocal?

With Exeter, it feels a bit manufactured. Again, to be a proper rivalry there has to be some element of competition and they've always been a smaller club. Man United and Man City, I suppose, have a proper rivalry that one team has consistently dominated, but nevertheless the Manchester derby lacks the stature of Milan/Inter, Rangers/Celtic, Barcelona/Madrid etc. probably because it's a bit one-sided.

For your essay, you might want to look at the impact of the internet. We probably wouldn't describe Cardiff or the Bristol clubs as our 'rivals' because there are n't sets of tiresome supporters calling each other "the scum" on facebook and we and they have other official 'rivals'. It's these clubs (and Swansea, to a lesser extent) whom I would vote for in your poll, though, because at the actual games there's always a bigger away following than usual; a heightened police presence; and a more raucous atmosphere that makes victory all the more enjoyable and defeat more infuriating. Plus we've played those teams pretty regularly over the 20 years that I've been supporting Argyle, indicating that as well as relative geographical proximity, they're also quite similar-sized clubs.

C

Cult Of Personality

Its Exeter

Anyone saying Pompey is now is wrong

Pompey and Southampton are rivals

And anyone saying Bristol City really ???

Flagman

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
I believe many of the Australian teams are followed by various ethnic imigrants which result in fearce rivalry.

The weirdest (and probably most friendly) is found in Perth, Australia. Because of a lack of away support, many ex pat fans have aligned themselves to either the East of West side of the shed (hope end). Comedic rivalry and banter is seen amongst Perth Glory fans.

When I was there in 2001 the chants went along the lines of...
"Aint no poo on the East side of the Shed, dum, de dum, de dum de dum de dum".
"We got all the Santa's" (you had to be there).
"We got all the pop stars" (because of a Rod Stewart lookalike).

I am sure there were many more.

A

argylefaninwales

Ok im missing something!!!
torquay are the best team in devon, so why are people voting for exeter????
as an argyle fan, exeter and torquay got stick.
how can you say torquay are nothing? doing better than us.

i will be at st helens (swansea) on the 17th to watch the youth win the league

Nov 8, 2010
Allanon":11hbjuxc said:
To add to Manchester Greens post.

I am sure there will be a strong rivalry between MK Dons and AFK Wimbledon (classed as political?) a rivalry that wont be borne out until they meet in a cup or more strongly in the league.

Can't believe I forgot to mention that one!

This is a rivalry that transcends any simple category. It's an absolute one of a kind, a rivalry that'll never be replicated, and without a doubt the most heated rivalry in the entire football world, despite being between two small-sized clubs. For all Barca might hate Real, Real didn't steal their club from them and move it up the road leaving all their fans club-less having to reform from the very bottom.

When it looked like AFC Wimbledon might have been playing MK Dons in the next round of the FA cup a season or two ago (they had to beat a team in a replay to face them but lost) all of their players, coaches, and staff were on record as saying it was a derby they never wanted to play - most rivals relish playing one another, but this rivalry is unique in that it'll be a match that should never have taken place. No AFC Wimbledon fans will recognise MK Dons as being a legitimate football club, and they only "officially" recognised their existence a few seasons ago when MK returned all of Wimbledon's trophies to the London Borough of Merton. Real Madrid fans, for all they hate Barcelona, accept that Barca are a legitimate football club! Making this the bitterest rivalry in football. But AFC are not without criticism themselves, speak to any Kingstonian fan - who are now tenants in their "own" stadium which is owned by AFC Wimbledon. The Wombles desperately want to return to Merton so it would be unfair to criticise them much for this, but it shows that they are no angels and like all clubs have to make tough and slightly self-interested business decisions.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Can't for the life of me see what the likes of Burnley, Luton, Southampton, Swansea and Watford are doing in that poll. They may have been promotion or relegation adversaries on the odd occasion but rivals? I don't think so. It has to be Exeter for me and in days gone by Pompey and Bristol City though I doubt if they would consider us rivals as they have much nearer rivalries to worry about.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
I would have thought that Celtic/Rangers was a religious rivalry more than political.

So is Everton/Liverpool religious.

Arsenal/Spurs goes back a 100 years or so because of Arsenal being promoted from a lower league position than Spurs.....seen as an injustice.

Traditionally Argyle/Exeter....when in same league.......Torquay ? no one as got used to them being best in Devon as yet.....but it could happen this year !!!

When I was doing my apprenticeship in the yard, the fitters I worked with had Torquay down as our main rivals cos we'd always played them year in-year out during their younger Argyle-watching days.

For me, it was always the team from the Cathedral town cos that was the regular derby fixture, and cos they think that their little village is more important than Plymouth.

My mum was a big speedway fan in her younger years, and she said the Plymouth Devils fans hated Exeter Falcons for much the same reasons as given above.