Our rivals | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our rivals

Who do you think are our biggest rivals?

• Bristol City

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Bristol Rovers

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Burnley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardiff

• Exeter

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • Luton

• Portsmouth

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Southampton

• Swansea

• Torquay

• Watford

• Other

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I'm currently planning for a 2000+ essay I have to write on about 'The history of football rivalries in the UK' and I'm determined to write a section about Argyle. Being younger, I've always considered Exeter as our bitterest rivals however reading comments on other related threads I've found that the older generations consider different teams as our biggest rivalries e.g - Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers, Bristol City.

As part of the criteria, I receive extra marks for including primary data in my essay and I thought PASOTI could help me out.

Could you comment who you think is our biggest rival along with who you think our second and third biggest rival is.

I think the mods are going to kindly insert a poll.

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
Exeter are too small to be our proper rivals, as we only meet when we are really going through a bad spell. It's taken them 125 years to be better than us, and that's going to change again next season.

For a season or two, Luton were big rivals. Bristol City, always satisfying to beat them..

Burnley for me, are the team I'd love to see us stitch up. They need to pay.

May 3, 2009
perlymuff
1 Exeter scum scum scum
2 Bristol City
3 Pompey

and special mention goes to Burnley we really do owe them at some point

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Greenpafcpete":n21uhyho said:
Ahh Luton the memories.

The words of a certain Mr Joe Kinnear still ring in the ears!

What's he doing now? Retired or on the dole? :scarf:

Nov 8, 2010
There're several different types of rivalry. There's rivalries that arise from specific matches or seasons, like Luton, Burnley, Southampton. Then the more traditional geographical rivalries, Bristol teams, Exeter, Torquay. The Pompey rivalry is quite unique as it's a city rivalry as opposed to a geographical one - the two naval ports having a historical rivalry that pre-dated football. Other examples of City rivalries arising for non-footballing historical reasons would be the Yorkshire clubs' collective hatred of the "scab" Nottingham teams. My mate at the age of 11 had a car driven at him almost knocking him down by Sheff UTD fans whilst following Forest, it's an intense rivalry fuelled by long-standing political hatred that's often overlooked.

If you look at Colchester, they'd consider Wycombe their biggest rivals and yet there's no geographical proximity between the two - their rivalry with Wycombe is like a far nastier version of ours with Luton (which has all but vanished now), all arising from events on the pitch during both teams' title challenge in the Conference during the early 90s.

Then you have Geographical rivalries which die over time due to lack of exposure between the teams - e.g. Wycombe and Staines, Stevenage and Enfield. This also applies to us to a lesser extent with Torquay and Exeter. But the team that falls behind the more successful team (e.g. Staines, Enfield, Torquay, Exeter) often builds up a level of disdain (or envy!) for the more successful club. There is no doubt that Exeter's hatred for Argyle peaked when they were a few divisions below us, at a time when our regard for them as "rivals" was probably at its lowest ever ebb.

It's also interesting to note rivalries that only exist because of individual personalities at the club. So Argyle have next to no disdain for Saints now that Rupert Lowe has nothing to do with them, and I imagine now that JFK has long left Luton few fans bare them any malice (beyond the obvious fact that Luton is an EDL-infested hell hole).

So yeah, lots of different dimensions to rivalry!

Another interesting one is politcal rivalries. Rangers/Celtic aside, English football clubs seem to have steered clear of aligning themselves with politics. Foreign leagues are different - you have Livorno, renowned for their communist following, Lazio, renowned for their fascist following, which creates rivalry that has nothing to do with geographical proximity or past events on the pitch.

Also worth mentioning rivalries that cross national boundaries - Chelsea and Barcelona is one that sticks out for me, but I'm sure there'll be better examples. Celtic and Rangers is an obvious example of a religious rivalry, but there're also racial rivalries - in the Israeli league, I think I remember reading that there're clubs with predominantly Arab followings that have fierce rivalries with clubs with predominantly Hebrew followings.

Happy essay writing!

Nov 8, 2010
Mike Greening":2ngqrp5p said:
Greenpafcpete":2ngqrp5p said:
Ahh Luton the memories.

The words of a certain Mr Joe Kinnear still ring in the ears!

What's he doing now? Retired or on the dole? :scarf:

Got a lot of time for JFK. He was on course to keep Newcastle up before he had another heart-attack. He was told not to take on that job as it'd give him a heart attack, and it happened within a couple of months. Big shame, because he was a very good manager who but for his health problems might have carved out a far more impressive managerial career.

Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
To add to Manchester Greens post.

I am sure there will be a strong rivalry between MK Dons and AFK Wimbledon (classed as political?) a rivalry that wont be borne out until they meet in a cup or more strongly in the league.