Our Manager | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our Manager

Apr 5, 2008
Managers dont have any loyalty despite what some posters think,will even go to a club with a much smaller fanbase if the money is better.

Look at Alex Neil for example that has enraged the Sunderland fans.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Managers dont have any loyalty despite what some posters think,will even go to a club with a much smaller fanbase if the money is better.

Look at Alex Neil for example that has enraged the Sunderland fans.
I read someone he accepted the job due to his family still living within the local area- maybe being away from his family made him accepting this job easier.

Football Managers have a variety of reasons for taking up job opportunities - it is the same in real life when you move from job to job

SMG

Oct 22, 2021
Difference to Lowe is that we have given Schuey his first shot in the big seat. He has his mentor as DoF, I'm sure Dewsnip will have had discussions about his future in management but also pointed out a whole pile of managers that have moved too early. Steven is only 38, very young for a manager and doesn't need to rush up the leagues, he's at a settled club where he will get patience if needed and where he can have a real influence on and off field.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
This feel good factor is mainly down to Simon Hallett. He got Dewsnip and Parkinson, he first got Lowe then would have been consulted about Schumacher.

There is a culture, ethos and strategy at Home Park. There is a transparency about Argyle and fan engagement has never been so high. Obviously the transparency only goes so far - but this is a good thing. The Board and Club play their cards close and when we, the fans, are to be told we are duly informed - like the new investors and new land for a complex.

The players buy into the culture and tactics - they are doing themselves proud. And in turn making SS stock rise.

Its a long season and whilst we have started well anything can happen. However I have never, ever felt as good about our direction as I do now. I've seen Championship wins, promotions, FA Cup semi Final etc but I don't know, there's just something in the air right now that makes me feel that every department in Plymouth Argyle is in near perfect Synergy.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I think he will do what Howe did at Bournemouth and become an absolute legend .
As good a young Manager as he undoubtedly was, Howe would not have achieved the success he had without the backing of the Russian Billionaire living at nearby Sandbanks.

There is a lot of good things happening at Argyle, both on and off the pitch.

However, despite the good current stewardship of our club, the one thing missing is serious financial backing and that is likely to stop us reaching our full potential and become a good Championship club.

On gates of less than 7000, Howe was still able to sign the likes of Callum Wilson for £3M and signings such as that were the difference between being also-rans, winning promotion and then pushing on further.

Schumacher will never be able to do anything like that.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
As good a young Manager as he undoubtedly was, Howe would not have achieved the success he had without the backing of the Russian Billionaire living at nearby Sandbanks.

There is a lot of good things happening at Argyle, both on and off the pitch.

However, despite the good current stewardship of our club, the one thing missing is serious financial backing and that is likely to stop us reaching our full potential and become a good Championship club.

On gates of less than 7000, Howe was still able to sign the likes of Callum Wilson for £3M and signings such as that were the difference between being also-rans, winning promotion and then pushing on further.

Schumacher will never be able to do anything like that.
Time will tell. But you're spot on about the Russian owner.

Reactions: Keith Whitfield

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
On the BBC, I read this leaving statement from Graham Potter. It's good to hear that some other clubs are developing the same culture as us, even in the PL...

In an open letter written on Thursday and published on Brighton's website on Sunday, he added: "I feel I am a better person and a better manager for the experiences I have had here.

"Not every team selection or decision has been perfect. But the club has created an environment that gives you the scope to make mistakes, learn from them and then improve.

"I have always tried to act with integrity and be a good person. These are values I hold dear, and I know that the Albion do too."

Reactions: Keith Whitfield
Jul 12, 2016
I know it’s early days but why not secure and reward SS for the good start with a new long term deal.
Cause there is no hurry and too early to gamble on a manager who shows much promise but has nothing to show for it yet

Apr 1, 2009
I know it’s early days but why not secure and reward SS for the good start with a new long term deal.
I think that to be able to do that you have to have some idea what he's on at the moment, and what the current terms of his contract are. I don't imagine anyone here has a clue as to either.

If we reward him now after a good start, what happens if we go another 15 unbeaten. An enhanced even longer deal? And again at the end of the season when we get promoted?

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I always look forward to Schuey’s post match interviews with relish. They are always honest and sprinkled with humility and respect. Yesterdays interview hinted at the pre-game analysis and preparation. what is starting to set Schuey apart is his willingness to tactically adapt mid-game. I am sure Neil Dewsnip has a significant role in the in-game assessment and suggestion of tactical change.

Schuey and his team have successfully overseen the evolution from 3-5-2 to a variant of 3-4-3. Other Premiership teams and indeed England have done the same. However, we have embraced that change and laced it with the opportunity of making it a 15 or 16 man game. Sometimes it is a like for like change but what has really struck me is the willingness to be brave as the in-game change to 4-4-2 in the last two away games has demonstrated resulting in a 4 point and very nearly a 6 point reward.

it is no wonder the wider football world and media are beginning to sit up and take notice. Even our own fan base are no longer questioning the merits of the data based approach. The outcomes in terms of recruitment and in-game tactical adjustment are self evident.

I have said before that I could not imagine a better manager for Argyle at this time. Such a statement actually does a disservice to the rest of his coaching team, the data analysists, the fitness and medical team who should all be included in such a statement. It is a team effort as Schuey would be the first to acknowledge. As each game passes the evidence of a real challenge for promotion this season unfolds. More importantly, for me at least, is the way we are achieving it. I remain in awe of what Argyle have become.