One Team in Devon articles thread | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

One Team in Devon articles thread

Aug 17, 2023
We've produced another big stats deep dive into Ian Foster and compared his numbers to Steven Schumacher.

You can read the piece here – and there are links to the accompanying podcast we've done with Green & White. On that we do a bit more analysis of the tactical implications.

https://oneteamindevon.substack.com/p/ian-fosters-stats-analysed-the-real

There's also a fascinating analysis about the chances of staying up with Fozball over Schueyball.

Hope you enjoy, think it's worth your time – and all feedback is appreciated. And please subscribe if you like it!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Some fairly massive changes in how we play, that's for sure. I don't like the sound of 'launches' :ROFLMAO::oops:

Shots are down 41% and shot accuracy is also down 31% from Schumacher’s tenure in the Championship.

Big chances created are also down 36%, which is perhaps a better measure of how things have fallen.

xG (expected goals) is down 26% and those shots are also 14% less dangerous than under Schumacher.

We also have the fewest headed shots in the league as well. But there are signs of Foster’s ideas – even if they are leading to reduced creation. We are the No.1 team for fast breaks and shots from fast breaks – that’s up 70% from Schumacher.

xGOT (expected goals on target) is a measure how how dangerous a shot is. e.g. is it in the middle of the goal or top corner. xGOT is down 56% under Foster rank 21st in the league for the threat from their shots.

The style of play has changed under Foster – and rapidly.

Passing has been scaled back under Foster, and we play -15% fewer passes under him that Schumacher. Accuracy is also a tad down, as is possession – both around 4%.

Argyle rank 22nd for passes attempted and possession in the Championship under Foster.

We’re also the 20th worst team for passing accuracy and the WORST for passing accuracy in the opponent’s half.

Argyle’s xA (expected assists) has also fallen 31%, in line with shots taken.

Fozball sees 42% more crosses than under Schumacher, but have the fewest pulled back crosses in the league, which are typically more dangerous. That’s 66% down from Schumacher. We are also 23rd for penalty area entries, 22nd for possession and 22nd for touches into opponent box.

And here’s a really telling stat:

Argyle are 2nd for ‘launches’ in the league (hoofing it long) but have the 23rd worst launch accuracy. That’s up 61% over Schumacher. So big questions have to be asked about Foster’s instructions, when we are so unsuited to the style of play he’s trying to implement.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Argyleloyal
Jan 17, 2005
Surrey
Some fairly massive changes in how we play, that's for sure. I don't like the sound of 'launches' :ROFLMAO::oops:
But on the flip side:

Foster has improved on a very weak defence under Schumacher – which presumably was his brief.

Argyle have increased tackles 20% as well as duals, although tackle success has dropped 12%overall. Fouls are up 23% as well. We’re 1st in the league for clearances, 2nd for blocks and we have the 5th lowest shots on target %.

Argyle concede 11% fewer goals under Fosterand have an xGA (expected goals against) 22% lower than under Schumacher. We also concede fewer headed shots (down 35%).

Entries into our own box are down 15% from Schumacher as well.

But we still have the 5th worst xGA (expected goals against) in the division under Foster.

We are conceding more from outside the area – and there’s a disparity between goals conceded and threat, which means there can be some focus on goalkeeping – with more shots flying in from distance.

This is a big turnaround, nearly as large as the drop in attacking output.

Mar 1, 2024
Wigan
Overall it did give me hope that we can turn this around under Foster. There has been a drop off but likely not all entirely due to the change in personnel since December. Still hope we do stop launching it like we still have Fallon up front.

May 22, 2006
I once wrote a very stern letter to Dan Macauley.

I left it on my desk and my boss saw it. Got a bollocking for wasting company time.

Nowadays I just resort to gallows humour. No point getting angry about something you cannot control.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Mark Lovell shares how he vented before the advent of social media:

"I don't blame fans for venting on social media – I once wrote Dan McCauley & Mick Jones an angry letter. Here's how they replied:"

https://oneteamindevon.substack.com/p/i-dont-blame-fans-for-venting-i-once

Does anyone have similar stories?
No, but I found the comparison between Mark's polite criticisms, whilst still making his point, and today's sometimes rabid vehemence very poignant.