One Team in Devon articles thread | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

One Team in Devon articles thread

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Great read - I'm also gutted we didn't get Azeez. Could have been the outlet we've been missing lately, especially if played a bit more centrally. He seems to have that creative spark we've lacked a bit of late. I wonder why the move didn't happen, especially since he'll be free to leave in the summer. Maybe he didn't fancy Argyle?

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul green14
Dec 18, 2023
Morning everyone

Wrote five thoughts on the Foster era and Argyle generally. I started it after the Coventry game and finished writing after Leeds – as I was at both games. Have held back on making any opinions until then.

https://oneteamindevon.substack.com/p/five-thoughts-about-the-foster-era

Would love to know who agrees/disagrees.

As ever, it's free – if you like it please subscribe to get it to your inbox and support advert-free (!) independent Argyle writing.

COYG
As always a cracking read and agree with many of your points. COYGs

Reactions: Paul green14
Dec 18, 2023
Yes, I agree with almost everything.

Thanks James for having put together an article which you've really thought about ,
so balanced , showing empathy ,
not stepping on anyone's toes and with enough material there for two or three features ! Great use of videos too !

Yes, Argyle seem to be working much better off the ball, closing gaps, blocking etc..
Yes, Devine and Gyabi (and others) obviously need time to settle in but hopefully not too much time !!

As you said, a pity we didn't get Azeez or another attacker in January as most of the teams around us (QPR, Sheffield Wednesday,
Stoke, Swansea, Huddersfield etc.) brought in strikers and midfielders and they are now (or soon will be) reaping the benefits.

Yes, filling the void left by Azaz
(and Cundle)i Is massive and so not only Devine but also C.Wright, Mumba, Randell,
Miller, Bundu, Waine, Issaka etc. must
step up now with more assists and goals
so as to take the great load and pressure
off the shoulders of Whittaker and Hardie , who we forget are still both young !
Azaz is a massive loss, I don’t think we have missed Cundle. Suspect Stoke fans would ‘hand him back’ if they could.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Great read - I'm also gutted we didn't get Azeez. Could have been the outlet we've been missing lately, especially if played a bit more centrally. He seems to have that creative spark we've lacked a bit of late. I wonder why the move didn't happen, especially since he be free to leave in the summer. Maybe he didn't fancy Argyle?
Reading sold six players in the window including Harris (to Luton) and Vickers (to Brighton) for big money in the last few hours of 1st February. They did not need the money in the end. Shame as Azeez's showreel and form is as good as anyone in League One. I fear our chance gone.

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Reading sold six players in the window including Harris (to Luton) and Vickers (to Brighton) for big money in the last few hours of 1st February. They did not need the money in the end. Shame as Azeez's showreel and form is as good as anyone in League One. I fear our chance gone.
Even if he turned out to be useless, his name would allow the revival of my all time favourite joke, which hasn't been viable since the end of the second Gulf war. "What time does (insert Argyle player instead of Saddam Hussein) eat dinner? When Femi (in place of Tariq) Azeez!"

Oct 9, 2023
Azaz is a massive loss, I don’t think we have missed Cundle. Suspect Stoke fans would ‘hand him back’ if they could.
Yes, obviously we're really missing
Azaz's goals, assists and special telepathy on the pitch with Hardie and Whittaker .
In addition, his wonderful charity work at
St. Luke's Hospice in Plymouth will be greatly missed. (Please see link below).

As regards Cundle , frankly I didn't appreciate him so much at the time but we
mustn't forget that he gave us as many as
5 goals and 6 assists in 27 games
in all competitions.
Since his last game with us on 6th January,
with both a goal and an assist that day,
we've definitely missed some of his potential assists and goals
over the past 6 weeks !!

Aug 17, 2023
Looking back on a crazy week – I was really disturbed by some of the reaction after West Brom...even if the performance was dire. It's just one game after all.

But likewise...Boro is just one game too against a team in dire form. There's still a lot to come and a lot to learn about Foster and this team.

I tried to pick the bones out of it in this week's newsletter: https://oneteamindevon.substack.com/p/its-just-one-game

Would love to know who agrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
I'll just pick up on one point, and that's fitness.

I'm pretty sure we've been at our worst when it's a three game week this season. I don't have the stats to back that up, just something I've noticed at the time.

When I first looked at the February fixture list, and then the Leeds replay happened, I knew we were in for an awful month of sheer exhaustion with battling results. WBA was us on our last of the legs for Foster's preferred XI, and I believe it forced him to expand deeper into the squad, which played a large part in that win. Fresh legs, a return for some forgotten players, and a break for the loanees.

Fitness would also explain our form in the first half, and hamper Foster in making effective tactical changes in the second half. I'm not sure why, it just seems we've not prepared the players fitness levels to match the switch up from L1 to the Championship.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I'll just pick up on one point, and that's fitness.

I'm pretty sure we've been at our worst when it's a three game week this season. I don't have the stats to back that up, just something I've noticed at the time.

When I first looked at the February fixture list, and then the Leeds replay happened, I knew we were in for an awful month of sheer exhaustion with battling results. WBA was us on our last of the legs for Foster's preferred XI, and I believe it forced him to expand deeper into the squad, which played a large part in that win. Fresh legs, a return for some forgotten players, and a break for the loanees.

Fitness would also explain our form in the first half, and hamper Foster in making effective tactical changes in the second half. I'm not sure why, it just seems we've not prepared the players fitness levels to match the switch up from L1 to the Championship.
Nah

• Haha
Reactions: CarolinaGreen
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
And I‘d take him! Scored some goals and helped our attacking options.
IMO both missed.

Jumped at the first chance to leave and left us in the lurch in the most important part of the season, the same thing you criticise Schuey for.

Jul 12, 2016
Jumped at the first chance to leave and left us in the lurch in the most important part of the season, the same thing you criticise Schuey for.
He was on loan to us and therefore not our player. SS had a contract with Argyle. Totally different.