One Team in Devon articles thread | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

One Team in Devon articles thread

Aug 17, 2023
Apr 1, 2009
Agree with most. I'm not sure focusing on one player who we have never had is that relevant. I'm sure there were others we looked at for the forward positions and failed to secure. Would have been good to get Azeez (or another quality forward) however. Being petty, not sure about the word "pry" - think "prise" might be a better word.

Reactions: one team in devon
Aug 17, 2023
Agree with most. I'm not sure focusing on one player who we have never had is that relevant. I'm sure there were others we looked at for the forward positions and failed to secure. Would have been good to get Azeez (or another quality forward) however. Being petty, not sure about the word "pry" - think "prise" might be a better word.
Always admire pedantry. Yep, I was definitely looking for 'prise'! ๐Ÿ˜ซ

Reactions: memory man
Jun 27, 2019
Very much agree about enjoying the season. Having seen Argyle at this position (and lower) in each of the two divisions below us, this is definitely the best alternative.
I watched the League One and Two highlights on Sky yesterday and it really hammered home just how much better the Championship is.

Small, ramshackle stadia with empty seats everywhere and barely any away fans, muddy pitches, agricultural football and players you've never heard of.

There are exceptions, obviously, but on the whole it's a place I never want to go back to.

Koala Green

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
โœ… Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Good piece thanks for sharing

Jan 27, 2006
I watched the League One and Two highlights on Sky yesterday and it really hammered home just how much better the Championship is.

Small, ramshackle stadia with empty seats everywhere and barely any away fans, muddy pitches, agricultural football and players you've never heard of.

There are exceptions, obviously, but on the whole it's a place I never want to go back to.
Thereโ€˜s another thread for stuff about Stoke.

Graham Clark

๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
โœ… Evergreen
๐Ÿš‘ Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
An excellent and balanced assessment of the intial stages of the Ian Foster era. Ian Foster refers to 'structure' alot and since he has arrived he has concentrated on out of possession work and closing the gaps through the midfield. He has managed to improve these areas despite the lack of time on the 'grass' due to the turnover of games, recovery periods and the weather. I was struck by Mark Robin's comments on Ian Foster post match on Wednesday,

"I think you can see what you are going to get from him. He has tightened it up. He doesn't want them to be open. This league is really unforgiving if you turn the ball over and you are trying to be expansive.

"Unless you are really athletic you are going to get cut open, and that's what has been happening. He will address that, has addressed that, has started to do that anyway, but also retaining that attacking threat.

"It's a really good attacking threat, good athleticism, a lot of confidence. Ryan Hardie stretches the defence, he runs his socks off, he's a decent finisher as well. He puts you under pressure.

"They have got some real good footballers in the team and they can set them off on the way. They find space. They play the box - everybody plays it in a different way - but they have got the ability to play through it and then hurt you."

Some might see it as a pragmatic progression, some may mourn the loss of the cavalier approach under Schuey but when Championship survival is the name of the game what Ian Foster has implemented in a very short time is impressive given a turnover of 14 players to accommodate and game time to manipulate and a change of system to implement.

The Championship is unforgiving. Mistakes are punished, often ruthlerssly. The level of quality, pace and fitness required to compete is at a level that few of us could have contemplated pre-season. That we have achieved what we have despite a hugely disruptive mid-season team management deserves more admiration than seems to be acknowledged by some. There will be much relief when the requisite pointage is achieved. It does seem much more of a 'when' than an 'if' and perhaps then there will be greater acknowledgement of Ian Foster's delivery of our Championship status and hiw he has achieved it.

Oct 9, 2023
I agree with pretty much all of that.
Yes, I agree with almost everything.

Thanks James for having put together an article which you've really thought about ,
so balanced , showing empathy ,
not stepping on anyone's toes and with enough material there for two or three features ! Great use of videos too !

Yes, Argyle seem to be working much better off the ball, closing gaps, blocking etc..
Yes, Devine and Gyabi (and others) obviously need time to settle in but hopefully not too much time !!

As you said, a pity we didn't get Azeez or another attacker in January as most of the teams around us (QPR, Sheffield Wednesday,
Stoke, Swansea, Huddersfield etc.) brought in strikers and midfielders and they are now (or soon will be) reaping the benefits.

Yes, filling the void left by Azaz
(and Cundle)i Is massive and so not only Devine but also C.Wright, Mumba, Randell,
Miller, Bundu, Waine, Issaka etc. must
step up now with more assists and goals
so as to take the great load and pressure
off the shoulders of Whittaker and Hardie , who we forget are still both young !