New Superstore and Ticket Office (opens Tue 5 Feb) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New Superstore and Ticket Office (opens Tue 5 Feb)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
This is all complete rubbish to the point of comedy.

Firstly, to say that City’s new development is better than Argyle’s is wrong. They’re spending 3.5m on a 1,600 stand fairly similar to what Torquay did a few years ago and also nicking a stand from Barnet.

Ours is at least £6m on the 5,000 capacity grandstand alone, while keeping the Leitch style, facade and not looking like a non-league Meccano set. Plus all the extras like the GTs bar not included in that price.

If we’re talking Plymouth as a city, are you aware of the £45m Bretonside development? Same sort of cash again for a massive new museum that will blow the socks off Exeter’s? The tallest building in the south west has just been built, the plans for complete redevelopment of the Civic Centre have just been revealed, hundreds of millions have gone into Devonport, Millbay and Royal William Yard.... I could go on and on.

The city is one big building site currently, because there’s so much going on. But some people will never, ever be happy.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
samjones":390pzffs said:
Kentishgreen":390pzffs said:
And this is why Plymouth is just getting by instead of thriving
Exactly scrapping by with small town thinking and philosophy.
Whereas Exeter is thriving and attracting major companies and investment. House building is at an all time high and unemployment negligible.
Look at the chiefs progress versus their football counterparts.
Have we learnt nothing from asking them how they have achieved all their success on and off the field at little old Exeter???
Chiefs proves what can be achieved with ambition and decent management

You do realise that Exeter Chief's redevelopment of Sandy Park (doubling the attendance from just over 10k to 20,600) will cost them £24million? And the only reason the initial build of Sandy Park was achieved was by selling their old County Ground and starting fresh on (what was then) the outskirts of the city, with conferencing and hospitality suites a major design focus. You want that kind of ambition and decent management? Sell Home Park and build a new stadium elsewhere?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
samjones":234x5cyc said:
I'm sure it would not have been much more expensive to do the thing properly from the outset rather than save a fiver and peacemill some abomination together which is compromised.

This is exactly how these things start, and most conspiracy theories as well.

People who have absolutely no idea what they’re talking about, and zero knowledge of the subject they’re discussing, saying things like ‘surely’... ‘I would have thought’.... ‘that can’t be right’.

Sam, to achieve a brand new 5,000+ capacity stand including corners and all the hospitality and banqueting facilities that are currently proposed, would cost the best part of £15 million. I asked you this on another thread and you failed to respond... where would that money be coming from?

If you can’t answer that beyond ‘surely it wouldn’t be that much’ and ‘I would have thought James Brent could afford it’, your criticisms of lack of ambition are completely invalid.

May 16, 2016
Biggs":2ly33f90 said:
This is all complete rubbish to the point of comedy.

Firstly, to say that City’s new development is better than Argyle’s is wrong. They’re spending 3.5m on a 1,600 stand fairly similar to what Torquay did a few years ago and also nicking a stand from Barnet.

Ours is at least £6m on the 5,000 capacity grandstand alone, while keeping the Leitch style, facade and not looking like a non-league Meccano set. Plus all the extras like the GTs bar not included in that price.

If we’re talking Plymouth as a city, are you aware of the £45m Bretonside development? Same sort of cash again for a massive new museum that will blow the socks off Exeter’s? The tallest building in the south west has just been built, the plans for complete redevelopment of the Civic Centre have just been revealed, hundreds of millions have gone into Devonport, Millbay and Royal William Yard.... I could go on and on.

The city is one big building site currently, because there’s so much going on. But some people will never, ever be happy.

I think you're supposed to airbrush those bits out when knocking Argyle, Brent and the City in general

D

Darren Stoneman

What is annoying is that for years we have been promised the world in terms of a tradium, stadium, World Cup venue and nobody had delivered, we now have a team of directors who are putting their money where their mouths are and investing in our team, our stadium. I don’t care if it is not a Wembley replica, I don’t care if it is built by IKEA, what matters is that finally someone is keeping their promise, we will get a decent stadium to generate additional income to further better our club whilst not bankrupting us for the second time. Our club is a fine example of lots of different people pulling together to further a dream, and for me that is what makes PAFC and PASOTI different from any other club in the world, remember when you sit and moan, these people the James Brent’s, Simon H are not obligated to make any improvement or invest anything in our club, they do so because they want to, they do so because they care as much about the green army as you all do and are doing their best to realise your dream and for that we should all be grateful

robbieB

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 6, 2011
Darren Stoneman":f04evkfy said:
What is annoying is that for years we have been promised the world in terms of a tradium, stadium, World Cup venue and nobody had delivered, we now have a team of directors who are putting their money where their mouths are and investing in our team, our stadium. I don’t care if it is not a Wembley replica, I don’t care if it is built by IKEA, what matters is that finally someone is keeping their promise, we will get a decent stadium to generate additional income to further better our club whilst not bankrupting us for the second time. Our club is a fine example of lots of different people pulling together to further a dream, and for me that is what makes PAFC and PASOTI different from any other club in the world, remember when you sit and moan, these people the James Brent’s, Simon H are not obligated to make any improvement or invest anything in our club, they do so because they want to, they do so because they care as much about the green army as you all do and are doing their best to realise your dream and for that we should all be grateful

Spot on. Well said Darren.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
dani_B":28nvmc82 said:
Before we criticise factory built modular buildings, remember airplanes are factory built in lightweight materials and we still trust them to fly us to all corners of the globe

I agree.

I can see modular buildings really "taking off"

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Forgive me for any naiievity but if and when the corners are filled in, won't the new shop/ticket office be in the way of any construction work and have to come down anyway, hence their current perceived temporary nature? Just asking. :think:

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Emeraldinho":2m3ou0aj said:
Forgive me for any naiievity but if and when the corners are filled in, won't the new shop/ticket office be in the way of any construction work and have to come down anyway, hence their current perceived temporary nature? Just asking. :think:

That's the sort of forward thinking I'm talking about. All these bitty developments ultimately cost more for less.
I'm of the opinion that you either do it right and properly or not at all.
Half measured efforts don't cut it.
Love to see the higher home park development use 2nd hand prefab units ?
A city the size of plymouth should have a decent sporting stadium
Aren't we the biggest city in the country NEVER to have had a first flight team ?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Make an assumption > take it as fact > criticise it repeatedly.

I see you’re ignoring my question about where the £15m for a new 5,000+ stand, corners and facilities is coming from.

Answer that or stop spouting ill-informed rubbish :)

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
samjones":180lf4i9 said:
Emeraldinho":180lf4i9 said:

That's the sort of forward thinking I'm talking about. All these bitty developments ultimately cost more for less.
Aren't we the biggest city in the country NEVER to have had a first flight team ?

Sam can you do everyone a favour and publish this inside knowledge you seem to have on the build, how buildings are made, the construction industry, the costs of such constructions, where the funds are being scrimped, the timescales for the development showing why it's behind schedule and how things will look once phase 2 is completed including where the "forward thinking" is failing please? You seem to understand more than anyone else on here, or are you just complaining for the sake of being miserable?

O and the source of the additional millions that Brent et al are hiding from us argyle fans which they want to spend on the construction but aren't just to annoy us fans.

Aug 5, 2015
Yes and that’s all down to the current regime actually trying to do something about it. Perhaps you should ask MaCauley why the stadium wasn’t finished? And the regime after that and the regime after that. It’s a simple game if you have the money. We don’t and never have.

Mar 21, 2013
Willis88":3h79lxgs said:
samjones":3h79lxgs said:
Emeraldinho":3h79lxgs said:

Sam can you do everyone a favour and publish this inside knowledge you seem to have on the build, how buildings are made, the construction industry, the costs of such constructions, where the funds are being scrimped, the timescales for the development showing why it's behind schedule and how things will look once phase 2 is completed including where the "forward thinking" is failing please? You seem to understand more than anyone else on here, or are you just complaining for the sake of being miserable

Of course he won’t be able to, he knows nothing, just on one long pathetic windup as he clearly has nothing else going on in his sad little life, & I’m not even sorry to say that. The internet world is too full of wasters like this.