Mayor and Broom | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mayor and Broom

Aug 15, 2015
Sorry if you have a problem with reconciling what you wrote with what you read, but I said "13 assists by Mayor in all competitions in the last 3 seasons" and you said "in about 3 years of football", not specifying the league. And as for "not being 100% serious", no, I get it - precious little of what you say should be taken seriously.

And a couple of other things: 'overexaggerated' is a tautology and, as I have explained previously if you can hold more than one idea in your head at a time, I rate Broom too and would in current circumstances pick him first if only one could play. Still, subtlety and complexity are not your strong suits.

Why do I need to specify the league? If you want to use mickey mouse cup games to support an argument in favour of Danny Mayor, that's pretty weak. The real measure of his success in an Argyle shirt is what he produces in the league.

By the way, you need a comma after the word 'sorry', in your opening paragraph. Good effort though.

Reactions: Antipodean
Mar 11, 2018
Why do I need to specify the league? If you want to use mickey mouse cup games to support an argument in favour of Danny Mayor, that's pretty weak. The real measure of his success in an Argyle shirt is what he produces in the league.

By the way, you need a comma after the word 'sorry', in your opening paragraph. Good effort though.
Because you talked about seasons, not me. If you meant league performance you should have said so. But then, you weren't being 100% serious, which is just as well.

No, the comma in that case is optional and depends on the syntax - as here. I'm amused that, given the standard of your posts, you should offer me lessons in writing. I don't take that seriously either.

Reactions: finegreen
Mar 11, 2018
Accurate information coming back to bite you on the bum. Looking a tad silly now. 3 assists in 53. Let that sink in. Good effort again though.
The stats are accurate, you're just cherry picking the ones you like. And since when was the FA Cup, the world's oldest football competition at national level, Mickey Mouse? I wouldn't mind Argyle doing well in the League Cup either. You, on the other hand, would prefer to pursue a vendetta against an Argyle player than see the team succeed in two major cup competitions.

Aug 15, 2015
The stats are accurate, you're just cherry picking the ones you like. And since when was the FA Cup, the world's oldest football competition at national level, Mickey Mouse? I wouldn't mind Argyle doing well in the League Cup either. You, on the other hand, would prefer to pursue a vendetta against an Argyle player than see the team succeed in two major cup competitions.

Not cherry picking at all. Reading between the lines, my general underlying point is that Mayor isn't up to the standard for one reason or another. That standard this season has been a 17 game unbeaten league run which saw us lead the pack. When I referred to years, my general point was about the league. I didn't specify but I don't really think I need to.

The cup is a random bunch of games, often against much weaker opposition. Nobody cares if Mayor or anyone else gives 10/10 performances in those games, if he cannot compete in the league. The league is the bread and butter. I couldn't give two hoots about how someone performs in a cup game against Rochdale to be honest.

Where it counts is only in the league. And at L1 level, Mayor has 3 assists in 53 games and 3 goals. I just don't think that's good enough, especially for the kind of player he is, the positions he takes up and how high up the pitch he often gets. Also the undroppable and main attacking man status he had last season, and with that, the fact that we would always look to play through him and therefore how he would want it.

So there's no vendetta against Mayor. He just doesn't perform to the standards of a table topping L1 side (in my view), and the team since his return suddenly are losing form. The numbers don't read well for him either. Vendetta? That's a really strange choice of word. If he had 15 goals, maybe. But 3. Vendetta?

I think Mayor is tailor made for L2. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be where he has had the most success. A cracking dribbler and skillful player at that level. I think when he comes up against pee poor sides like Rochdale (god I forgot how bad L2 was), he looks like he's really in the comfort zone. He knows that he's coasting ability wise. Still a lot of kick and rush at L2 level. Someone like Mayor is just too silky for that standard. That's not the case in L1. I think he's an ok player at L1 level, but the standard of teams here are not mickey mouse like your Rochdales in L2. Up against much better players and teams and it shows in his performances and numbers. He can look reasonable and every now and then put in a good performance, but he doesn't do enough to affect the game. He doesn't look like a world beater which led to many compliments from League 2 managers. No Championship side has taken a punt on him either.

Mar 11, 2018
Not cherry picking at all. Reading between the lines, my general underlying point is that Mayor isn't up to the standard for one reason or another. That standard this season has been a 17 game unbeaten league run which saw us lead the pack. When I referred to years, my general point was about the league. I didn't specify but I don't really think I need to.

The cup is a random bunch of games, often against much weaker opposition. Nobody cares if Mayor or anyone else gives 10/10 performances in those games, if he cannot compete in the league. The league is the bread and butter. I couldn't give two hoots about how someone performs in a cup game against Rochdale to be honest.

Where it counts is only in the league. And at L1 level, Mayor has 3 assists in 53 games and 3 goals. I just don't think that's good enough, especially for the kind of player he is, the positions he takes up and how high up the pitch he often gets. Also the undroppable and main attacking man status he had last season, and with that, the fact that we would always look to play through him and therefore how he would want it.

So there's no vendetta against Mayor. He just doesn't perform to the standards of a table topping L1 side (in my view), and the team since his return suddenly are losing form. The numbers don't read well for him either. Vendetta? That's a really strange choice of word. If he had 15 goals, maybe. But 3. Vendetta?

I think Mayor is tailor made for L2. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be where he has had the most success. A cracking dribbler and skillful player at that level. I think when he comes up against Pee poor sides like Rochdale (god I forgot how bad L2 was), he looks like he's really in the comfort zone. He knows that he's coasting ability wise. Still a lot of kick and rush at L2 level. Someone like Mayor is just too silky for that standard. That's not the case in L1. I think he's an ok player at L1 level, but the standard of teams here are not mickey mouse like your Rochdales in L2. Up against much better players and teams and it shows in his performances and numbers. He can look reasonable and every now and then put in a good performance, but he doesn't do enough to affect the game. He doesn't look like a world beater which led to many compliments from League 2 managers. No Championship side has taken a punt on him either.
15k views on the Rochdale match thread, so plenty of Argyle fans are interested in games beyond the league. Your retained hoots didn't stop you contributing three times to that thread and commenting on player performance, including liking one - big surprise - critical of Mayor.

I agree that the league is the bread and butter, although I'm not sure that I wouldn't trade a relegation to see Argyle win the FA or League Cups once in my lifetime. There are valid questions about Mayor's place in this year's team as well as his fitness, and Lowe bigging him up before he had kicked a ball for Argyle did him and us no favours. But, as I have pointed out elsewhere, correlation is not cause and there are many contributing factors, including the quality and structure of the opposing teams, and the fact that Galloway missed most of the three games we lost in a row. Plus the usual contingencies of luck and chance.

There are always going to be disagreements about player quality, suitability and selection. That is part of being a fan, but too many posters on PASOTI and elsewhere are given to intemperate, ignorant rants and savage attacks on players, managers, referees, etc. Credit should be given where due and nobody is above criticism, but that doesn't mean open season on other human beings just because people have access to a digital megaphone.

Mar 23, 2013
15k views on the Rochdale match thread, so plenty of Argyle fans are interested in games beyond the league. Your retained hoots didn't stop you contributing three times to that thread and commenting on player performance, including liking one - big surprise - critical of Mayor.

I agree that the league is the bread and butter, although I'm not sure that I wouldn't trade a relegation to see Argyle win the FA or League Cups once in my lifetime. There are valid questions about Mayor's place in this year's team as well as his fitness, and Lowe bigging him up before he had kicked a ball for Argyle did him and us no favours. But, as I have pointed out elsewhere, correlation is not cause and there are many contributing factors, including the quality and structure of the opposing teams, and the fact that Galloway missed most of the three games we lost in a row. Plus the usual contingencies of luck and chance.

There are always going to be disagreements about player quality, suitability and selection. That is part of being a fan, but too many posters on PASOTI and elsewhere are given to intemperate, ignorant rants and savage attacks on players, managers, referees, etc. Credit should be given where due and nobody is above criticism, but that doesn't mean open season on other human beings just because people have access to a digital megaphone.
" If you love Carey...wait till you see Danny mayor " I think that's roughly what he said.....im guessing he never saw Carey play.

Mar 23, 2013

I think Mayor is tailor made for L2. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be where he has had the most success. A cracking dribbler and skillful player at that level. I think when he comes up against Pee poor sides like Rochdale (god I forgot how bad L2 was), he looks like he's really in the comfort zone. He knows that he's coasting ability wise. Still a lot of kick and rush at L2 level. Someone like Mayor is just too silky for that standard. That's not the case in L1. I think he's an ok player at L1 level, but the standard of teams here are not mickey mouse like your Rochdales in L2. Up against much better players and teams and it shows in his performances and numbers. He can look reasonable and every now and then put in a good performance, but he doesn't do enough to affect the game. He doesn't look like a world beater which led to many compliments from League 2 managers. No Championship side has taken a punt on him either.
Nailed it I'm afraid.

Reactions: xmastree

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
The problem isn’t Mayor or Broom.

The issue is why, under Lowe, we’re they so important to Argyle style of play.

Where is the width coming from. Edwards isn’t the type to run to the byline and get crosses in. He is more of a wing back who links up with other players and gets into the box. Conor Grant has a loverly left foot. The problem is he isn’t quick. So he needs other players to help him move up the field and be in a position to put in a cross from a dangerous position.

Camara will never be that player to open up teams from out wide. So that leaves Broom / Mayor. If Argyle had quick wing backs that were good at beating players and getting crosses in from byline the reliance on Mayor / Broom wouldn’t be so important.

Without these two players our level of creativity is an issue.

Reactions: philevs
Apr 1, 2009
Tonight was the perfect example of why we need both Broom and Mayor. If it's not happening for one of them, then it might for the other.

I totally get that many prefer Broom starting on the basis of the season so far. What I just don't get is why a few of the more rabid protagonists on the Broom side of the debate (or bitchfest), not only want Mayor out of the team, but out of the club as well. We need them both.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS

You’re wrong! You asked to be corrected so there you go

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Mayor loves to dribble with the ball. Broom likes to make runs off the ball.

Two different players. Mayor quality is in a wide position. Look how easy he beats a player and gets a cross in that results in our goal. Broom has different, but equally as good qualities.

Mar 11, 2018
Mayor loves to dribble with the ball. Broom likes to make runs off the ball.

Two different players. Mayor quality is in a wide position. Look how easy he beats a player and gets a cross in that results in our goal. Broom has different, but equally as good qualities.
Indeed, these players have contrasting qualities, and we should be pleased to have both available. But a small, noisy group gets its jollies by constantly criticising Mayor and calling anyone who speaks well of him a 'fanboy'.

They have gone quiet for now after tonight's performance by Mayor as a substitute for Broom. But it won't be long before they're back blaming Mayor for all manner of personal and team deficiencies because they are beyond reason.

Aug 15, 2015
You’re wrong! You asked to be corrected so there you go
You've got a funny way of justifying your comments. By that I mean, every post of yours has 0 justification. You just say 'mate ur talkin nonsense'. Borderline amusing. Well actually not. Please at least give it a go will you.