Mayor and Broom | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mayor and Broom

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
When to tweak , when not to tweak that is the million dollar question for RL

If it is not broke why fix it?

I guess sometimes RL has to roll the dice- if it works great but if it doesn't at least he tried it :unsure:

Reactions: arrythewurzel
In yesterday's FA Cup match, both played.

Result - nothing wonderful from either player - apart from Broom's excellent cross !

So what does this mean ?

Both cannot play at the same time ?

One player defaults the other ?

Ryan Lowe rolls the dice ?

Sad but I can see no other way around it !!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Interesting game yesterday. I thought Mayor was involved throughout and played a significant defensive role with one particularly crucial tackle to blunt a goal bound shot in the second half. He also created as usual, linked up well down the left and the effort that hit the post was class.

Broom was very good first half, seeking out the ball and our most creative player for a 20 minute period. Obviously an excellent assist as well. But where did he go in the second half? 25 minutes before being subbed and I didn’t see him involved at all and it was no surprise he was subbed (at which point I realised he was still on the pitch).

Broom‘s style is busier, whereas Mayor is more ‘artful’, so Broom will always get the nod with most fans. I haven’t seen enough games this season to decide between them (if that’s needed), but they’re both clearly great assets to have at this level.

Mar 11, 2018
I'll tell you what I saw Broom do that I haven't seen Mayor do yet in about 3 years of football, and that's to provide an assist to a goal.
Well that's curious, and I'm sorry that you and your two-person cheer squad (hello again, patronised prole Tonka!) are suffering from amnesia or some other cognitive or perceptual challenge. Because, according to this measure, there have been 13 assists by Mayor in all competitions in the last 3 seasons: https://footystats.org/players/england/danny-mayor

Still, what's a cheap joke compared to the accurate information valued by Argyle fans who are trying to think seriously about matters of selection and tactics?

Aug 15, 2015
Well that's curious, and I'm sorry that you and your two-person cheer squad (hello again, patronised prole Tonka!) are suffering from amnesia or some other cognitive or perceptual challenge. Because, according to this measure, there have been 13 assists by Mayor in all competitions in the last 3 seasons: https://footystats.org/players/england/danny-mayor

Still, what's a cheap joke compared to the accurate information valued by Argyle fans who are trying to think seriously about matters of selection and tactics?

You obviously were unable to realise that I was not being 100% serious. I was just responding to a laughable, desperate, straw clutching claim that Broom has never made a tackle on the edge of the box. Untrue and embarrassing as Broom's defensive qualities are better than that of Mayor. In fact, I'm still trying to work out this goal saving tackle as I do not recall such a tackle. I would love to see a video of this as I suspect this is overexaggerated as usual. I'm willing to bet it was nowhere near as important as made out.

With regards to assists, I question whether Mayor has 13 however. I am not sure it is that high, and even if it is, that's a really poor return from him especially considering a promotion winning season in L2.

Edit: I have just clicked on that link and it's 9 assists in the league in the last 2 seasons + this. So I was right. Of course though, you had to inflate his numbers with League and FA Cup information. Classic Mayor fan boy tactic.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2015
I love a bit of 'accurate information' me.

3 assists in 53 games at L1 level.

I would love to know if Antipodean thinks this is a decent benchmark for a team that have been topping the L1 table and chasing promotion.

Really looking forward to the justification on this one. How's the twists and turns count looking though?

Mar 23, 2013

wow... that many...i'm shocked, hardly setting things on fire is he.

Aug 11, 2013

He was mischievously teasing the very sensitive Mayor worshippers I’d imagine …

Feb 13, 2021
I think if you could look at how many goals DM has been involved in there are plenty! For a fact most of Grants assists come from Mayor playing him in behind the defender!
But I do agree he should score more goal! But for me he’s gotta start!

Mar 11, 2018
You obviously were unable to realise that I was not being 100% serious. I was just responding to a laughable, desperate, straw clutching claim that Broom has never made a tackle on the edge of the box. Untrue and embarrassing as Broom's defensive qualities are better than that of Mayor. In fact, I'm still trying to work out this goal saving tackle as I do not recall such a tackle. I would love to see a video of this as I suspect this is overexaggerated as usual. I'm willing to bet it was nowhere near as important as made out.

With regards to assists, I question whether Mayor has 13 however. I am not sure it is that high, and even if it is, that's a really poor return from him especially considering a promotion winning season in L2.

Edit: I have just clicked on that link and it's 9 assists in the league in the last 2 seasons + this. So I was right. Of course though, you had to inflate his numbers with League and FA Cup information. Classic Mayor fan boy tactic.
Sorry if you have a problem with reconciling what you wrote with what you read, but I said "13 assists by Mayor in all competitions in the last 3 seasons" and you said "in about 3 years of football", not specifying the league. And as for "not being 100% serious", no, I get it - precious little of what you say should be taken seriously.

And a couple of other things: 'overexaggerated' is a tautology and, as I have explained previously if you can hold more than one idea in your head at a time, I rate Broom too and would in current circumstances pick him first if only one could play. Still, subtlety and complexity are not your strong suits.

Mar 11, 2018
I love a bit of 'accurate information' me.

3 assists in 53 games at L1 level.

I would love to know if Antipodean thinks this is a decent benchmark for a team that have been topping the L1 table and chasing promotion.

Really looking forward to the justification on this one. How's the twists and turns count looking though?
Sorry, I reply when and on whatever subject I choose, not to order from you or anyone else.