Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed) | Page 57 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Action Jackson":1sv1jl92 said:
Right. This is getting ridiculous. Where the hell are you Ryan???????

What?! Why is it getting ridiculous?

Jul 29, 2010
Action Jackson":3ucxfxl0 said:
Is it getting ridiculous?

Or has a ridiculous amount of weight been put on words from a ridiculous social media platform which has whipped up ridiculous levels of impatience?

:think:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
monkeywrench":3rlolwwl said:
Action Jackson":3rlolwwl said:

I’ll be gutted if we choose Ryan Lowe.

My reasons;

1. Vastly inexperienced, he’s only been a manager for one full season. He’s just about come straight from being a player, not even been a number 2 to learn the job.

2. If he was to join us he’d have done it already, so clearly he’d prefer to stay at Bury if they could sort out their issues.

3. Our location appears to be a negative for Lowe according to the journalist Nixon. I want someone to want to be at Argyle, not just because it’s a decent stop gap.

4. I’m hearing that Lowe assembled a team at Bury with a lot of players on decent money. What if he didn’t have the same amount of money, would he be as effective with us with a smaller budget??

5. If Lowes heart is in the North how long would he stay with us ? I’d like to see someone give our project a good run, not move back up north when a decent opportunity presents itself.

6. Does Lowe have many contacts in the game to entice a quality player to move to Argyle? No decent evidence of that for me.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":3r3xypsm said:
monkeywrench":3r3xypsm said:
Action Jackson":3r3xypsm said:

My reasons;

1. Vastly inexperienced, he’s only been a manager for one full season. He’s just about come straight from being a player, not even been a number 2 to learn the job.

2. If he was to join us he’d have done it already, so clearly he’d prefer to stay at Bury if they could sort out their issues.

3. Our location appears to be a negative for Lowe according to the journalist Nixon. I want someone to want to be at Argyle, not just because it’s a decent stop gap.

4. I’m hearing that Lowe assembled a team at Bury with a lot of players on decent money. What if he didn’t have the same amount of money, would he be as effective with us with a smaller budget??

5. If Lowes heart is in the North how long would he stay with us ? I’d like to see someone give our project a good run, not move back up north when a decent opportunity presents itself.

6. Does Lowe have many contacts in the game to entice a quality player to move to Argyle? No decent evidence of that for me.
No's 2,3,4,and 5 are just hearsay.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Keepitgreen":157d16bj said:
JannerinCardiff":157d16bj said:
monkeywrench":157d16bj said:
Action Jackson":157d16bj said:

My reasons;

1 and 6 are very genuine concerns. though. (Unless Warnock's coming in as director of football ! :think: )

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Lowe is by far the most exciting name I’ve seen mentioned.

A young, progressive manager who plays exciting, attractive football, is proven at L2 level, who has good connections in the game & has even been complimented on his management style by the likes of Klopp & Benitez.

Genuinely quite astounded that some people think he’d be a such a terrible appointment.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
JannerinCardiff":1gphow8s said:

My reasons;

He's not "vastly" inexperienced - he had a full season in very difficult circumstances and did spectacularly well to get a team promoted from the league we'll be in next season.

I don’t get this. Are we so high and mighty as to take offence at anyone at a smaller club who doesn’t wet themselves with excitement if we wink at them? He has family & friends in Bury and clearly formed a bond with the club. There was me thinking commitment and loyalty a good thing rather than jumping ship at the first hint of trouble and looking out for number one.

Well of course it’s a negative if you have to relocate your family ….. but if he does take the plunge I imagine he’ll want to make a go of it rather than have to relocate again as it clearly seems a big deal for him. I’m sure other stop-gaps closer to home will arise if that’s all he was looking for.

This I would concede a valid point if you could point to a decent source to say what budget he had rather than “I’m hearing”. From what I “hear” is he had some familiar names in the team but they are all well into their 30s now – is that where the assumption of a big budget came from?

As I said above – I’m sure he’d get a job up north if he wanted one. If he does come here then he clearly couldn’t resist what he considers too good an opportunity to turn down.
Well y he is known to Klopp, Benitez and Guardiola who have all praised him and apparently “a long time friend of Steven Gerrard” according to Wiki. Not enough?

Jul 29, 2010
I wouldn't go as far as gutted JiC but I share reservations on each of your points.

The only thing that would stop me from being gutted is my faith in the quiet professionalism of the selection process. If he's the best option, accounting for all the risks you outline, that gets spat out the other end of the process then so be it.

Other names interest me more but I'm not the one looking them in the eye in interview or reading the reports having sounded them out through the network of contacts we have.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
On the contacts point alone, he demonstrably has at least one very good name in Steven Gerrard, as he managed to loan the highly-rated Jordan Rossiter from Rangers.

He's also been friendly with Jurgen Klopp, and it's not a stretch to see those two relationships develop given Lowe's attachment to Liverpool. Word travels fast in football, and if we're playing the same sort of pressing, attacking football that the top teams play, we're more likely to see them want to send good players here.

Apr 1, 2009
warney":19a8v7qv said:
Keepitgreen":19a8v7qv said:
JannerinCardiff":19a8v7qv said:
monkeywrench":19a8v7qv said:
Action Jackson":19a8v7qv said:

My reasons;

1 and 6 are very genuine concerns. though. (Unless Warnock's coming in as director of football ! :think: )

Re 1 and 6

1. It is still not impossible that we might end up with someone from a higher club with coaching experience but no managerial experience at all.

6 (i) What evidence of contacts do you expect to see?
(ii) In a 20 year playing career, I would expect RL to have got to know a few people currently working in management/coaching.
(iii) At Bury there are at least 20 other league clubs within a 40 mile radius. I would expect RL to know someone on the coaching staff of many of these. Indeed I would anticipate he has more contacts in the English game than DA did 4 yeaars ago.

I have my reservations, but there are plusses too. I'm still not totally convinced that Lowe will be our man anyway.

Jan 2, 2006
If we need to rely heavily on the manager having enough contacts to find players to come here, why did we just employ a vastly experienced scout as our head of recruitment?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Just to challenge some of the points made by JannerInCardiff, my comments in red.

But the experience he has is good experience? He's just been promoted from the League we're about to enter into. Bury were relegated from League 1, Lowe had to overhaul the squad and create his own, then he took them up at the first time of asking. Very similar to what is required here. Also, as I've said earlier in the thread, not all experience is good experience, experience is only valuable if it's used to adapt oneself, develop and improve, appointing someone just on the basis that they've been a manager for a long time makes no sense and often fresh ideas are a lot better than outdated ones.

Perhaps so? He loves Bury, what's wrong with that? If he comes here though, I genuinely believe it'll be because he recognizes an opportunity to build something long term, and somewhere stable to implement his own style/philosophy. If we're only allowed to appoint someone who bleeds green then I think that might just limit the potential candidates don't you?

To uproot yourself and your family and move to the other side of the country is a huge decision and a big undertaking. That doesn't in any way mean he doesn't want to come to Argyle, in fact, if he does, I think that'll prove his commitment to us more than anything. Simon Hallett has made it clear that he wants someone to come to the area and embrace Plymouth, if Simon Hallett thinks Lowe will do that, then I fully trust Simon's judgement. Also just to challenge the 'stop gap' point, I said earlier in the thread I'd much rather a young, ambitious manager use us as a stepping stone, achieving success and moving on, than a dinosaur coming in, staying for years, achieving nothing and bumbling toward an eventual dismissal

Again, no real proof of this. Also, I'd imagine our budget will be one of the bigger ones in L2 next season.

See my reply to point 3. Who really cares provided he leaves us in a better position? The vast majority of managers are always looking for and hoping for a bigger opportunity to present itself.

He got Jordan Rossiter from Rangers, that is a ridiculously good signing for League 2. Didn't we also just appoint an experienced head of recruitment to assist with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.