Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed) | Page 59 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
1/7 to 1/5 to now 1/3

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I mentioned earlier - my one concern with Ryan Lowe is - was last season at Bury a one off where the difficult situation at the club galvanised the players ("us against the world", "all mates together") meaning they had nothing to lose and therefore played carefree attacking football, whereby at Argyle it’s a different set of circumstances with large crowds and an expectant fanbase with the added pressure to get promoted?

I suppose there’s only one way to find out.

Mar 14, 2009
X Isle":sezqd8q0 said:
JannerinCardiff":sezqd8q0 said:
macleanie":sezqd8q0 said:
demportdave":sezqd8q0 said:
Nicky Adams (Bury midfielder) writing in today's Bury Times says that he is in daily contact with Lowe and that he definitely wants to stay at Bury.

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/17659 ... rers-fans/

"Lowey's done absolutely brilliant this season, he's one of the lads and deserves all the success he gets in management, one thing I can say for certain is that he does want to stay at the club and take this group of players forward, but like I say, if you're hands forced then there's nothing he can do."

Well, I'd say don't come if you don't want too. I don't want a half hearted attempt of being Argyle manager. That said, I think it's more in the tone of he's Bury through and through and it would be a tough decision. He goes on to say...

"We all hope he stays we really do, but if he doesn't then it won't be a decision taken lightly."
and
"One thing’s for sure though, whatever he does end up doing, he'll be very successful doing it because he's a top lad and a great manager with plenty to give."

Nicky Adams’s quotes make me want Ryan Lowe as our manager even less. Lowe only wants Bury job, not the Argyle job it’s plainly obvious to me.

Yup, it's certainly a concern.

I know it is only a turn of phrase but I also don't like the sound of "he's one of the lads" and "top lad". Erm, that's your manager you're talking about, not one of your drinking buddies.

The professional gap between coaching staff and players is a very good and necessary thing. You can still have a laugh without being 'one of the lads'. It does go some way to explain how he led his 'lads' to promotion in a short space of time... a close knit band of towel flicking jolly japesters against the world. And If it worked for them fo one solitary season then good for them.

But it isn't any kind of long term philosophy and it really won't export or replicate well. If he came here he wouldn't be 'one of the lads' as our existing players wouldn't be 'his lads'. To replicate it he'd either have to become 'one of the lads', (something that could undermine his authority) or import 'his lads' in (something that could lead to a clique forming). Neither is at all desirable.

Derek Adams was perhaps too distant from the playing group, too dour. But he did have a degree of professional detachment that meant there was no doubt who was in charge. That's important.

We don't need to lurch to the opposite extreme where the manager tries to be everyone's bezzie mate. Something in between please, relaxed but authoritative and professional.

Isn’t the reason Klopp and Guardiola are so popular with the players is because of the close bonds they form?

The hugging by Klopp & Guardiola after every game to their players. The way those players respond to them because they want to do well for them.

Football has changed. The days of lambasting the players don’t work on some of them.

Personally, l really can’t anything wrong with it.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Tugboat":ybp2wmhn said:
1/7 to 1/5 to now 1/3

So the bookies think it is becoming less likely? I suppose it could be that more money has been placed on other candidates causing their odds to shorten as the bookies look to protect themselves and having the knock-on effect of lengthening the odds on Rowe to compensate. Or am I misunderstanding things?

Jul 29, 2010
cheshiregreen":2vjkzi4y said:
Difference here Xisle is that Lowe was promoted from player to player/manager at Bury before taking on just managerial role. Admittedly he brought in new faces but retained a good few from the squad he was part of.

Here he will face a different test, although sure he will go back and bring a few of his preferred players with him.
And this is where one of JiC's 'six concerns' kick in... inexperience.

Any new post he has away from the club he moved up from player/manager at is a whole new ball game. He's used to working with players who know him inside out, an old pals network if you will.

At Argyle he'd have none of that. Additionally separated from familiar geographical surrounds it is a potential recipe for disaster.

If it's happening then he and Argyle certainly have some massive conkers. This would be a big brave move so buckle up for the ride.

You get nothing without gambling so good luck to all involved.

Jun 24, 2008
PL2 3DQ":12wlaez2 said:
I mentioned earlier - my one concern with Ryan Lowe is - was last season at Bury a one off where the difficult situation at the club galvanised the players ("us against the world", "all mates together") meaning they had nothing to lose and therefore played carefree attacking football, whereby at Argyle it’s a different set of circumstances with large crowds and an expectant fanbase with the added pressure to get promoted?

Very good point. Especially with the money troubles. That said that man management/one of you management style has many a success story and as you've said..theres only one way to find out. He'd get my backing.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
macleanie":2ev4xhja said:
PL2 3DQ":2ev4xhja said:

Very good point. Especially with the money troubles. That said that man management/one of you management style has many a success story and as you've said..theres only one way to find out. He'd get my backing.

Maybe by next May he will have 2 promotions on his CV with 2 different clubs which would make him a very sought after manager.

Aug 16, 2008
I don't see that he's necessarily seeing us as second best. He's young and ambitious. He will have looked at the Argyle job, taken the advice he wants, spoken with his family and hopefully seen it as an opportunity to develop as a manager.

He also has a strong attachment to Bury and, it they weren't in the financial position they're in, he'd be looking forward to a new season with his promoted team. He will know better than most whether that is likely to be realistic. He will also know that he is seen as a figurehead by players, staff and fans and that his departure will send a strong signal to them - I can't see Bury attracting a new manager in their current position. His departure will likely set off a chain of events. It may be that he is delaying his departure time with this in mind.

If it's true that he's spoken to the board and is thinking about moving here then that, for me, shows his commitment.

By the way, I think the board seem to be handling this well. The only leak it seems to me has come from the north west.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The Doctor":1j8kyykd said:
Tugboat":1j8kyykd said:
1/7 to 1/5 to now 1/3

So the bookies think it is becoming less likely? I suppose it could be that more money has been placed on other candidates causing their odds to shorten as the bookies look to protect themselves and having the knock-on effect of lengthening the odds on Rowe to compensate. Or am I misunderstanding things?
But the sack race best odds have it shortest yet at 1/9

Jan 27, 2006
For those obsessing about the relocation element for Lowe..I recall seeing an interview with Sean Dyche,l. When interviewed at Burnley they'd asked if he was willing to relocate and he refused. His argument being he'd uprooted his family to move to Watford and then was sacked inside a year.

He thought that ended his chances but didn't work out too badly in the end.

It woud be great if Lowe, or whoever, relocated to the area. But given the volatile world of football completely understandable if they don't..and as Dyche and Burnley shows, not a prerequisite for success.

Sep 2, 2008
If he's down here to discuss terms then I'll wager one of those terms is around location. I've a feeling that he doesn't want to move down and he's trying to negotiate around that. If Halletts stands firm then I can only see one outcome and understand why Lowe hasn't been announced. We are probably in the process of contacting No.2 on the list.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Exiled_Green":3smn0ywf said:
For those obsessing about the relocation element for Lowe..I recall seeing an interview with Sean Dyche,l. When interviewed at Burnley they'd asked if he was willing to relocate and he refused. His argument being he'd uprooted his family to move to Watford and then was sacked inside a year.

It woud be great if Lowe, or whoever, relocated to the area. But given the volatile world of football completely understandable if they don't..and as Dyche and Burnley shows, not a prerequisite for success.

But how would Lowe fulfill his duties with training/matches etc without being at least close enough to do a days work then go home in the evenings? Would he stay in a hotel and his family stay up north.

If so that’s not likely to work long term imo. It’ll be another Sheridan.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
JannerinCardiff":1qux9ts9 said:
Exiled_Green":1qux9ts9 said:

But how would Lowe fulfill his duties with training/matches etc without being at least close enough to do a days work then go home in the evenings? Would he stay in a hotel and his family stay up north.

My recollection is that the Sheridan thing didn't work out too bad... He certainly improved the team from when he took over and left a decent foundation for Adams to build on. If lowe comes in and does the same for a couple seasons then we would be happy with that, wouldn't we?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
ping_g5":2vlwlx35 said:
JannerinCardiff":2vlwlx35 said:
Exiled_Green":2vlwlx35 said:

My recollection is that the Sheridan thing didn't work out too bad... He certainly improved the team from when he took over and left a decent foundation for Adams to build on. If lowe comes in and does the same for a couple seasons then we would be happy with that, wouldn't we?

I was more thinking that Argyle fans used the fact he didn’t live in the vicinity as a stick to beat him with suggesting that he wasn’t committed fully to Argyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.