Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed) | Page 49 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobi Budge":3jr0uiry said:
I think some people are being extremely unfair in calling Lowe a time waster, or dismissing him because he hasn't jumped at the opportunity without any rational consideration/thought. There are lots of things to consider and this is a big move. He loves Bury, he's always lived in the North, there's the prospect of L1 football next season if Bury make it, and as far as I'm aware, Adams didn't have a young family to consider when he moved whereas Ryan Lowe does. Taking time to consider all of these things doesn't mean he's stringing us along, it means he's taking time to ensure it's right for him.

Also, if he does come, there's absolutely no reason to assume he wouldn't be fully committed. He's quite obviously interested in the job.

I for one still hope we get him as he ticks a lot of boxes.
I agree.

Lowe was a rarity in his playing days in that he barely moved outside of the North West. Barring MK Dons, who he left because he was homesick, the furthest he's moved from his hometown of Liverpool was the jaunt across the Pennines to Sheffield.

If he does get the job, it's ridiculous to say that someone who has moved across the country to take the job isn't committed enough. Especially with all the factors that you mention, Cobi.

The homesickness he experienced at Milton Keynes is a concern, but every manager has pros and cons. I think his success in the division we'll be in next season, his contacts in the game and his desire to play good, attacking football outweigh that. It would be a very good appointment if it transpires.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Cobi Budge":1ibj3utt said:
I think some people are being extremely unfair in calling Lowe a time waster, or dismissing him because he hasn't jumped at the opportunity without any rational consideration/thought. There are lots of things to consider and this is a big move. He loves Bury, he's always lived in the North, there's the prospect of L1 football next season if Bury make it, and as far as I'm aware, Adams didn't have a young family to consider when he moved whereas Ryan Lowe does. Taking time to consider all of these things doesn't mean he's stringing us along, it means he's taking time to ensure it's right for him.

Also, if he does come, there's absolutely no reason to assume he wouldn't be fully committed. He's quite obviously interested in the job.

I for one still hope we get him as he ticks a lot of boxes.

I don’t agree Cobi. He’s more interested in Bury than us.

I also think he’s very inexperienced. I for one won’t be pleased ifhe does come to us. It feels a bit like we’re being used so Lowe can get a better job back closer to the north.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Who cares if Lowe is more interested in Bury NOW? As long as he was focused on the Argyle job once he gets it (IF has even been offered the job, which we really don't know).

I would hazard a guess that Neil Warnock cares more about Argyle as a club than he does about Cardiff, and Pep Guardiola definitely has more of an emotional attachment to Barcelona than City.

Doesn't stop them focusing on their clubs and having success, and can't see why it would with Lowe either.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Biggs":2pzwrd0h said:
Who cares if Lowe is more interested in Bury NOW? As long as he was focused on the Argyle job once he gets it (IF has even been offered the job, which we really don't know).

I would hazard a guess that Neil Warnock cares more about Argyle as a club than he does about Cardiff, and Pep Guardiola definitely has more of an emotional attachment to Barcelona than City.

Doesn't stop them focusing on their clubs and having success, and can't see why it would with Lowe either.

Exactly. And, at the moment, he's still Bury's manager. :doh:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
vibratingspider":10a0ix7h said:
Still hoping for Holloway...

Me too. :thumbup:

None of the other main names in the frame (Lowe, Coughlan, Flynn) have much experience and they would all require us to pay compensation.

Holloway is the only one in my mind that would bring the crowds back, and has past experience of bringing in real quality players.

Holloway all day for me.

Oct 31, 2015
JannerinCardiff":76e6zevc said:
vibratingspider":76e6zevc said:

None of the other main names in the frame (Lowe, Coughlan, Flynn) have much experience and they would all require us to pay compensation.

Holloway is the only one in my mind that would bring the crowds back, and has past experience of bringing in real quality players.

Holloway all day for me.

Have to say me too. :coat:

Unfinished business, knows the club and area, experienced and has contacts

A little worried about being able to cope with no budget and 4th division football though ( blood and snotters :thumbup: )

Mar 23, 2008
rsp4":25ueje8g said:
JannerinCardiff":25ueje8g said:
vibratingspider":25ueje8g said:

Holloway all day for me.

A little worried about being able to cope with no budget and 4th division football though ( blood and snotters :thumbup: )
Ditto.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
JannerinCardiff":pv5qqtuv said:

But you don't know who the other names in the frame are.

I highly doubt it's going to be Holloway, I'm not sure why we're still talking about him.

Sep 25, 2010
Deacster":1tsu365r said:
rsp4":1tsu365r said:
JannerinCardiff":1tsu365r said:
vibratingspider":1tsu365r said:

Holloway all day for me.

Ditto.

Hollowords,

A million times no, no way, never.

The bloke is totally unreliable, a dinasour manager now. No way.

Don’t know why people still consider him.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Martyn":17gk5mnf said:
Deacster":17gk5mnf said:
rsp4":17gk5mnf said:
JannerinCardiff":17gk5mnf said:
vibratingspider":17gk5mnf said:

Holloway all day for me.

Ditto.

Hollowords,

A million times no, no way, never.

The bloke is totally unreliable, a dinasour manager now. No way.

Don’t know why people still consider him.

When you say dinosaur, what job traits do you consider is he behind the times in? (to add, I am not sticking up for Holloway, just curious...)

Jan 3, 2017
I find the whole 'Hollowords' thing to be totally cringe-worthy. It was 12 years ago - he's shown considerable regret over how he left us and has been loyal to all of his clubs since.

I don't think he's right for us now, mind, but crikey some people need to let it go.

Dec 2, 2010
Plymouth
I also don't understand this Hollowords business. I think very few players or managers make decisions based on loyalty. They go where they can be most successful, or make most money. They have a family to support, in most cases, I would welcome Holloway back. He produced the best football, seen at Argyle, for a long time.

Jul 29, 2010
Good luck asking Martyn to justify and evidence his statements Emu. I've previously asked him to justify his support for breaking the boycott as he is a B Team apologist.

All you'll get is "I feel..., I think...".

He struggles with the differential between facts and opinions. 'In his opinion' Ollie is a dinosaur but he won't respect the FACT that other opinions are available or for that matter the FACT that the poll on this thread (and all bar one to date) suggest very many disagree with his opinion.

When names have come up through this process there are some stinkers straight away (Cotterill, Evans, Johnson). Then you get the possible. A bit of initial 'stroking' of excitement occurs but over time each one develops an issue (Lowe 》 inexperienced and heart may be elsewhere, Flynn 》 inexperienced and hasn't managed outside Wales etc).

Ian Holloway is not a name that ever HAD to come up. Whether you still held the silly grudge or not when the vacancy came up he was the first person all of our thoughts went to. No 'on reflection' issues have come up either, you either salivate at the prospect or you retch at the thought. But you do know what you'll get, you do know his CV screams experience and at much higher level too, you do know the football will be good, you do know there will be a smile put back on the majority of the Green Army.

Throwing in unjustified and unfounded comments that he is a dinosaur is just a shameless attempt to deflect attention away from what is patently clear. Ian Holloway is demonstrably the most preferred candidate we know of and the most qualified one too.

And that is a fact.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Ian Holloway is demonstrably the most preferred candidate we know of and the most qualified one too.

And that is a fact.

Come on Smiffy, that's not a fact.

And you don't know what you'll get with him, in the same way that Jose Mourinho is a completely different manager in 2019 to the Special One one in 2004, Ian Holloway in 2019 is a completely different manager to the one with us in 2007. His last couple of jobs haven't been successful, and the excellent article posted on here a few pages back (can't remember who by) shows his style of football has possibly regressed too.

I'm not vehemently against him really, but in my view he's not the right man for this job, and more importantly I don't see the Argyle board even considering him.

Status
Not open for further replies.