Leaving early | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Leaving early

Sep 25, 2010
MarkMatthews":2oj680vu said:
Martyn":2oj680vu said:
But I can't understand why they leave early

First opportunity in a couple of hours to smoke as your not allowed out at HT. (Look at the percentage of people who actually LEAVE the ground early, as opposed to hang around the concourses, most are sparking up from my observation.)

Try giving up smoking, bad for your health, you know.

Sep 25, 2010
Stuart House":bq8fhfqu said:
The first train after the game is about 1720 ish. If you sit at the back of the lyndhurst and it takes 10 minutes to get out it can be a quick sprint to the train station, which some might not be up to.

The next train isn't until gone 6pm heading north. This might have something to do with it.

And like others have said, its not a prison.

If the game say finishes at 5.55, time you get out of the ground, it is 5.15-5.20' you will have plenty of time to get the 6.00 train., no need for a quick sprint

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
plymouthboyuk":2o4cxxvj said:
You will notice the fans leaving early, are mostly sat at the back of the stand in the Lyndhurst. They watch the end of the match from the concourse or bottom seats. If you wait until the final whistle, it can take 10 to 15 minutes to just get down the steps. If ever there was an emergency, God knows what would happen.

The club have to ensure that the maximum egress time from any seat is 8 minutes. If you are saying it takes longer, and you have evidence (I suspect that it just seems to take that long), the club would have to restrict capacity. So you could get out quicker but you may not be able to get a seat in view of the rows which would have to be closed. Every match is attended by personnel from the Safety Advisory Group and/or the Sports Grounds Safety Authority who look at this and other matters as they happen. If there are delays, they would be caused by people congregating in certain areas, waiting for mates, etc.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Martyn":3n76dp8w said:
Stuart House":3n76dp8w said:
The first train after the game is about 1720 ish. If you sit at the back of the lyndhurst and it takes 10 minutes to get out it can be a quick sprint to the train station, which some might not be up to.

The next train isn't until gone 6pm heading north. This might have something to do with it.

If the game say finishes at 5.55, time you get out of the ground, it is 5.15-5.20' you will have plenty of time to get the 6.00 train., no need for a quick sprint

If you don't get out of the ground until gone 5pm for the less fit/mobile its tight. The extra ten minutes by walking to the bottom makes a huge difference.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
I entirely respect others' right to leave early. I just wish they'd respect my right to watch the game I've come to see. A lot of the early leavers in the Lyndhurst block 10 will stop walking down the steps and stand right in the way when there is a bit of action.

Either leave and get on with it, or stay in your seats.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Barrie Davis":33zzvtwa said:
plymouthboyuk":33zzvtwa said:
You will notice the fans leaving early, are mostly sat at the back of the stand in the Lyndhurst. They watch the end of the match from the concourse or bottom seats. If you wait until the final whistle, it can take 10 to 15 minutes to just get down the steps. If ever there was an emergency, God knows what would happen.

The club have to ensure that the maximum egress time from any seat is 8 minutes. If you are saying it takes longer, and you have evidence (I suspect that it just seems to take that long), the club would have to restrict capacity. So you could get out quicker but you may not be able to get a seat in view of the rows which would have to be closed. Every match is attended by personnel from the Safety Advisory Group and/or the Sports Grounds Safety Authority who look at this and other matters as they happen. If there are delays, they would be caused by people congregating in certain areas, waiting for mates, etc.

That 8 minutes is only on an emergency. There is no stipulation on the time it takes anyone to leave the stadium at the end of the game.

I myself am someone who prefers to wait 5-10 mins after the final whistle. If you have to go early then fine but as others have said, don’t hang around, just go and go quickly.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Lundan Cabbie":1pzoyawo said:
Barrie Davis":1pzoyawo said:
plymouthboyuk":1pzoyawo said:

That 8 minutes is only on an emergency. There is no stipulation on the time it takes anyone to leave the stadium at the end of the game.

I myself am someone who prefers to wait 5-10 mins after the final whistle. If you have to go early then fine but as others have said, don’t hang around, just go and go quickly.

No, I was quoting from section 10.7 of the Green Guide (Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds - 5th edition) which deals with normal egress times and states:

It is emphasised that there is a difference between egress times and emergency evacuation times. The egress time is the total time in which all spectators can, in normal conditions, leave an area of viewing accommodation and enter into a free flowing exit system. It does not include the time taken to negotiate the entire exit route. The normal maximum egress time for sports grounds is eight minutes. If for any reason – for example, there are not enough exits – spectators cannot exit within eight minutes, a reduction of the final capacity may be required

Emergency exit times are set out in section 10.9 which states:

There is a difference between egress times and emergency evacuation times. The emergency evacuation time is a calculation which, together with the rate of passage, is used to determine the capacity of the emergency exit system from the viewing accommodation to a place of safety or reasonable safety, in the event of an emergency. The maximum emergency evacuation time for sports grounds varies between two and half minutes and eight minutes.".

I was responding to the comment about what would happen in an emergency if the perceived exit time is between 10 and 15 minutes.

Feb 28, 2016
Ponty":2ytcrbzm said:
MarkMatthews":2ytcrbzm said:
Martyn":2ytcrbzm said:
But I can't understand why they leave early

First opportunity in a couple of hours to smoke as your not allowed out at HT. (Look at the percentage of people who actually LEAVE the ground early, as opposed to hang around the concourses, most are sparking up from my observation.)
Seriously?? Can't wait ten more minutes for a fag??

Only it’s not 10 minutes, it’s at least the best part of two hours.

The OP asked why people leave early, that is a reason why some leave early.

Sep 25, 2010
If you stopped smoking, it would probably add 10 mins plus, to your life, every year

Jan 27, 2012
Some of the games can get pretty boring- especfially when the match is clearly lost or won.

I have ocassionally left slightly early , especially when i have things to do. But I tend to pick a seat on the end of the row and just stay put if I am likely to annoy people.

People leaving early do sometimes annoy me, even though I do it myself. The worst situation is when people are queuing on the stairways, which then blocks views for people sitting down. If there is a queue there then I stay put.

Its not as bad as people suddenly standing up during the match- for example everytime Argyle are on the attack. Those idiots have no courtesy for those behind them. I've got into some confrontations with people who have done that to me. And as for those pricks who constantly stand up in their seat and turn and face the crowd waving their arms around in the air.....

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Barrie Davis":kh37sl28 said:
Lundan Cabbie":kh37sl28 said:
Barrie Davis":kh37sl28 said:
plymouthboyuk":kh37sl28 said:

No, I was quoting from section 10.7 of the Green Guide (Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds - 5th edition) which deals with normal egress times and states:

It is emphasised that there is a difference between egress times and emergency evacuation times. The egress time is the total time in which all spectators can, in normal conditions, leave an area of viewing accommodation and enter into a free flowing exit system. It does not include the time taken to negotiate the entire exit route. The normal maximum egress time for sports grounds is eight minutes. If for any reason – for example, there are not enough exits – spectators cannot exit within eight minutes, a reduction of the final capacity may be required

Emergency exit times are set out in section 10.9 which states:

There is a difference between egress times and emergency evacuation times. The emergency evacuation time is a calculation which, together with the rate of passage, is used to determine the capacity of the emergency exit system from the viewing accommodation to a place of safety or reasonable safety, in the event of an emergency. The maximum emergency evacuation time for sports grounds varies between two and half minutes and eight minutes.".

I was responding to the comment about what would happen in an emergency if the perceived exit time is between 10 and 15 minutes.

I remember back to my Fire Brigade days when they were calculating figures and times for White Hart Lane and they could never agree on what “under normal conditions” meant because at the end of the game not all spectators were heading immediately to the exits.

Jan 3, 2013
gaspargomez":3pt761h7 said:
Some of the games can get pretty boring- especfially when the match is clearly lost or won.

I have ocassionally left slightly early , especially when i have things to do. But I tend to pick a seat on the end of the row and just stay put if I am likely to annoy people.

People leaving early do sometimes annoy me, even though I do it myself. The worst situation is when people are queuing on the stairways, which then blocks views for people sitting down. If there is a queue there then I stay put.

Its not as bad as people suddenly standing up during the match- for example everytime Argyle are on the attack. Those idiots have no courtesy for those behind them. I've got into some confrontations with people who have done that to me. And as for those pricks who constantly stand up in their seat and turn and face the crowd waving their arms around in the air.....
totally agree .........whereare the stewards? Part of the problem is idiots walking all the way from one end to the other whilst the stewards look on.
The manchildren standing up and waving arms doesn't help either.
Other clubs are the same.....at Shrewsbury six man children were stood up behind the goal and half a dozen stewards ignored them until five minutes from the end, when they threw one of the manchildren out.
Don't even get me started on allocated seating! What was the point of numbering seats at Shrewsbury?
I have an allocated seat at Oxford.....DONT EVEN TRY TO SIT IN IT

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
Martyn":3f3l02kh said:
Stuart House":3f3l02kh said:

Do you mean 4.55?

May 4, 2015
In answer to the ludicrously boring opening post - yes I have left the cinema early. And if the film was terribly boring and dull with a predictable outcome I would do so again.

As for leaving Argyle early - only when we have no hope of winning (ie 3 or more down when the 4th official board goes up) do I leave early

Sep 25, 2010
pedro91":1gb4yvke said:
Martyn":1gb4yvke said:
Stuart House":1gb4yvke said:

Do you mean 4.55?
Yes, sorry