Joe Mason (14 Feb - not coming) | Page 30 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Joe Mason (14 Feb - not coming)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
gaspargomez":14jgmi38 said:
Why is that Argyle can't compete financially with other clubs in the bottom two divisions when Home Park has some of the largest gates outside the Championship ?

Forget this stuff about Mason not fitting into the formation. Adams obviously wanted him but did not have the playing budget. Yet other clubs in League One and Two can afford him it seems.

Do you think MK Dons and Mansfield can ‘afford’ it?

Of course they can’t, that’s the point of Simon Hallett’s strategy (and JB before him).

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Who needs a mason when we have a dozen brickies on site , time to move on.

This business has made me reflect on the transformation in player/club transfers over the past thirty years. It was commonplace in the eighties to to see ex top flight stars seeing out their careers at our level, as we experienced with Bruce Grobbler, John Matthews, and many others.

Nowadays the wage gap between championship clubs and league one is so great that even the loss of one year’s championship wages could not be compensated over 3-4 years at our level, so even an aging championship player would be a mug to move, and is also more likely to have established a big enough pension pot to make such a move unnecessary. These wage levels are the reason all championship clubs made a loss last year, with the average loss being £11million.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Could be on his way back to the States. I believe their transfer window has just opened.

Mar 8, 2016
mervyn":sh06yq3f said:
This business has made me reflect on the transformation in player/club transfers over the past thirty years. It was commonplace in the eighties to to see ex top flight stars seeing out their careers at our level, as we experienced with Bruce Grobbler, John Matthews, and many others.

Nowadays the wage gap between championship clubs and league one is so great that even the loss of one year’s championship wages could not be compensated over 3-4 years at our level, so even an aging championship player would be a mug to move, and is also more likely to have established a big enough pension pot to make such a move unnecessary. These wage levels are the reason all championship clubs made a loss last year, with the average loss being £11million.

How is an average loss of £11million per annum sustainable? Why are we not seeing clubs in financial trouble if they are losing that much? I don’t get it. Surely not all clubs owners are preapared to cover such a loss year in year out?

Aug 5, 2016
Pottypilgrim":1avmix94 said:
Knibbsworth":1avmix94 said:
Sad news, really thought it was going to happen. He would have been beloved if he'd have come back.

That said I did think he must have had some demands to make the Charlton owner turn Bowyer down.

The owner turned Bowyer down because he already had 3 strikers on the books.

What Football League club hasn't already got three strikers?

Argyle have Ladapo, Taylor, Joel Grant and Alex Fletcher and still wanted Joe Mason.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Knibbsworth":2vo8vua5 said:
Pottypilgrim":2vo8vua5 said:
Knibbsworth":2vo8vua5 said:
Sad news, really thought it was going to happen. He would have been beloved if he'd have come back.

That said I did think he must have had some demands to make the Charlton owner turn Bowyer down.

The owner turned Bowyer down because he already had 3 strikers on the books.

What Football League club hasn't already got three strikers?

Argyle have Ladapo, Taylor, Joel Grant and Alex Fletcher and still wanted Joe Mason.

Errrm the ..... 'out till next season' Joel Grant? I think that's the point!!

Army green":ggwjo75k said:
mervyn":ggwjo75k said:

How is an average loss of £11million per annum sustainable? Why are we not seeing clubs in financial trouble if they are losing that much? I don’t get it. Surely not all clubs owners are preapared to cover such a loss year in year out?

You're right. This was my first reaction when I read the Guardian article on this last year. I think one club, Birmingham, nearly broke even, whilst all the rest produced that average loss figure. Even Ipswich, a club which used to be a byword for staying within their means, have debts above the £11 million average. I think the worst (I have a shaky memory) was Bolton at around £50 million.

Aug 5, 2015
Not a major surprise. Not too many Championship players would come to L1 or 2 and not many, if any, of the latter could afford the wages of the former

mervyn":2f51o8hm said:
Army green":2f51o8hm said:
mervyn":2f51o8hm said:

You're right. This was my first reaction when I read the Guardian article on this last year. I think one club, Birmingham, nearly broke even, whilst all the rest produced that average loss figure. Even Ipswich, a club which used to be a byword for staying within their means, have debts above the £11 million average. I think the worst (I have a shaky memory) was Bolton at around £50 million.

Sorry to keep adding bits, but here’s the part of the report I found most staggering. 13 of the Championship clubs for that year spent more on wages than their entire revenue. Whew.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Jephcott as well, remember. Who I assume is now way ahead of Fletcher in the pecking order.