Ideas for new murals. | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ideas for new murals.

Sep 20, 2003
Some people just seem to want to have a moan about everything.

Nikk has generously offered (again) to sponsor the Murals which in turn will place a substantial amount into the coffers.

Surely it is win, win? The drab grey gets spruced up and money into the club. A no brainer.

My vote would go to the Wembley goal.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
It was a bit tongue in cheek rather than a moan Wozzer. Just wistful and frustrated thinking I guess. If I had tens of thousands to throw at Argyle would I help finance a striker who could hit the back of the net or would I finance some murals under the stands? God knows, I will never be in the position to make that choice. It's Nikkk's money and his to do as he sees fit and wherever he chooses to spend it, it is very welcome. Still don't think Purse warranted a mural though.

B

Baby Face Johnson

Wozzer":2pzqxgvh said:
Some people just seem to want to have a moan about everything.

Nikk has generously offered (again) to sponsor the Murals which in turn will place a substantial amount into the coffers.

Surely it is win, win? The drab grey gets spruced up and money into the club. A no brainer.

My vote would go to the Wembley goal.

Look at some posts on the previous page - some of us had slightly misunderstood the arrangements :facepalm:

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Great stuff Nikkk, very much appreciated!!

I understand that the mural will be in the entrance vomitory (yes really!!) and will contain the likes of Chisholm, Johnny Williams, Sullivan, Luggy, Nelson (Garry I assume), Machin, Hodges, Mariner, Nissie etc.

Again, great idea and cheers Nikkk!

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Random mural ideas/Themes:

Argyle 1 Real Madrid 0 (FT 1 -2)

Fans United (as others have suggested) as is Argyle originated - Stake that claim!

Argyll(e) & Sutherland Highlanders, Argyle FC, HP bombed in the war - or something about our origins or past.

If we're going to bulldoze the Mayflower & Turnstiles, maybe a mural featuring those iconic Home Park images.

Goalkeeper collage: Pat Dunne, Bruce Grobbelaar, Peter Shilton,
Strikers collage: Sammy Black, Wilf Carter, Paul Mariner, Tommy Tynan, Michael Evans,

Stats as background to a mural (From Wiki):

RECORD FASTEST FIVE GOALS: Argyle defeated Chesterfield 7–0 at Home Park to record their joint biggest win. In the process they also broke the English record for the fastest five goals scored in a professional game–after just 17 minutes. The goalscorers were: Lee Hodges (4 minutes), Tony Capaldi (11 minutes), Nathan Lowndes (12 & 17 minutes) and David Friio (16 minutes). Friio went on to complete his hat-trick, scoring in the 36th and 89th minutes. Football League Second Division, 3 January 2004.

Most goals in a season: 33 - Jack Cock Third Division South, 1926–27.
Most goals in one match: 5 - Wilf Carter vs Charlton Athletic, Second Division, 27 December 1960.

Apr 27, 2009
pilgrim_pete":2oyi2m3y said:
Absolutely nothing bad can come from this initiative (thanks again Nikkk). The club gets money and the stadium gets sorting out

Great idea and perhaps we could do a poll on Pasoti?

I'd like to see this one personally...

friio_sturrock.jpg

My favourite Argyle picture.

That would be a good shout !

C

cornysteve

If/when the new grandstand is built, I would love there to be a mural of the ground from the sixties/seventies incorporated into it.

Mar 9, 2011
I personally think the introduction of the murals has been a positive thing. They’re unique compared to other stadiums; it’s an improvement from otherwise looking at grey concrete walls; at various times I've heard other supporters (young and old) in the Devonport End talking positively about the murals and they add something extra to look at in the tour packages when people are being shown around Home Park (and would look good if we could end up getting them all around the stadium :whistle: ;) ).

At the end of the day, we’re not all going to like the same thing in life: there’s going to be those who love the idea of this and will add positive feedback for Nikkk and Ian and those who will simply laugh in the face of it and think it’s all a waste of time / money / effort. Whichever camp you sit in, no one's right or wrong for liking or not liking the idea of the murals. Just a shame some people have to publically knock the efforts of something that is bringing revenue into our club.

Our ‘on the pitch’ situation is obviously of paramount concern amongst us, but it shouldn’t prevent other things from taking place too.

As for suggestions ... I can’t go back as far as a lot of you can but I’d like to see Micky Evans and David Norris added to the mix of players included in the murals.

Perhaps even see a mural that will have images that is dedicated to what the staff, players and fans did to help save our club. The dark days might not be something we’ll want to be reminded of but then again, in years to come (when we’re climbing back up the leagues again) we can look back and think ‘Those we’re real tough times / our patience was well and truly tested to the max ... but holding on was worth it come the end to be able to see where we are now as a club).

Great work Nikkk and Ian :clap:

B

Baby Face Johnson

Sue Pollard":37t4dbmn said:
I personally think the introduction of the murals has been a positive thing. They’re unique compared to other stadiums; it’s an improvement from otherwise looking at grey concrete walls; at various times I've heard other supporters (young and old) in the Devonport End talking positively about the murals and they add something extra to look at in the tour packages when people are being shown around Home Park (and would look good if we could end up getting them all around the stadium :whistle: ;) ).

At the end of the day, we’re not all going to like the same thing in life: there’s going to be those who love the idea of this and will add positive feedback for Nikkk and Ian and those who will simply laugh in the face of it and think it’s all a waste of time / money / effort. Whichever camp you sit in, no one's right or wrong for liking or not liking the idea of the murals. Just a shame some people have to publically knock the efforts of something that is bringing revenue into our club.

Our ‘on the pitch’ situation is obviously of paramount concern amongst us, but it shouldn’t prevent other things from taking place too.

As for suggestions ... I can’t go back as far as a lot of you can but I’d like to see Micky Evans and David Norris added to the mix of players included in the murals.

Perhaps even see a mural that will have images that is dedicated to what the staff, players and fans did to help save our club. The dark days might not be something we’ll want to be reminded of but then again, in years to come (when we’re climbing back up the leagues again) we can look back and think ‘Those we’re real tough times / our patience was well and truly tested to the max ... but holding on was worth it come the end to be able to see where we are now as a club).

Are my latest posts invisible :banghead: :lol:

Mar 9, 2011
:lol: Keep calm BHJ ;) ... I read how you misinterpreted the OP and what you have since written. There's been a lot of good suggestions on the thread, but was just saying there are always some who will want to moan.

I just wrote what my personal feelings are, that's all. End of :greensmile:

B

Baby Face Johnson

Nothing wrong with a good old moan :shh: , I was born in Plymuff after all. :lol:

Dec 19, 2008
Sue Pollard":1bx72h85 said:

They aren't unique at all and they aren't a first in football either. Arsenal had an entire end of Highbury as a 'mural' once.

Highbury-e1314024965461.jpg

It's behind Lee Dixon holding his spuds.

And at the Emirates, they have this

article-0-06CD2789000005DC-837_468x350.jpg

What we're getting put up in the Devonport End aren't MURALS either - a mural is painted directly to a wall/ceiling.

Loads of other football clubs have them.

Motherwell?
generation-5-salon-owner-stuart-chalmers-and-staff-at-fir-park-mural-with-motherwell-fc-players-279607296.jpg

Sunderland?
timthumb.php

Port Talbot Town?
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Fans- ... story.html

That took me about two minutes to find on Google. I wish people would stop telling us that things are "a first in football" too because these things aren't "firsts in football" and the things happening off the pitch aren't UNIQUE. What's unique about Argyle is they're the biggest City in this country to never have played in the top flight (they're the biggest European city never to have played in their respective top flight league).

And what's wrong with publicly knocking something? Isn't a forum, amongst many other things, about direct, personal feedback?

nikkk

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 8, 2011
Lee Jameson":2vtk03de said:
Nik has come up trumps again, I would like to see a mural of the past POY since say 1974!

The winning idea get a free bottle of Champagne?
Champagne Lee :funny: :funny: