Humble Pie | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Humble Pie

Jan 24, 2019
TynanWozGr8":3i4bss3h said:
I hope a significant number of the posters on here are now eating a large slice of humble pie after Adams has turned the season around

He’s too good a manager not to have

When he does go let’s hope he doesn’t get the lacking loyalty poo - the abuse he got was a f1king joke

Sorry he has to go. His tacits are stupid and is stubborn in his ways. He baffles me with his post match interviews.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":3aaxbnw1 said:
To be honest there are fans even today who can’t stand any criticism against Adams.

Today when Argyle 3 subs came in and the fans sang “you don’t know what your doing” one guy turned around to people near him and berated the people chanting this.

I must admit l smiled. This guy was furious with people and l just wondered to myself if this is part of the problem. People will find any reason (refs, injuries, the players etc..) but because they whole heartily supported this manager they will not blame him for our current predicament.

Maybe they are trying to save face. Maybe if they admit it to themselves about Adams not being as good as they thought it may mean they somehow can’t deal with the emotions that will bring. It’s embarrassing for them.

Yet we all get things wrong. Like UTL says we all say stuff and probably look back and think l shouldn’t of said that. It’s because we are passionate about this club. We have to remember its just an opinion after all. It’s ridiculous all these run ins with have with each other when lm afraid in a situation like this there we should be united as a fan base more than ever because there is only one person to blame, Derek Adams.
I have no problem whatsoever of the majority of supporters, like yourself, who criticise Derek Adams. Indeed, at the moment it would be amazing if there were not a lot more critics than those who continue to support him.
My problem is with those who cannot resist using unnecessary, vicious language and give the impression that they hate him. I just cannot understand that attitude and admit that I become very frustrated with those posts because, despite recent results, I believe that he has given 100% in his commitment to
his job and doesn’t deserve the bile dished out by a small minority who claim to be supporters.
It has become very difficult to defend the quality of some of his appointments in summer 2018.

Oct 16, 2016
I suppose passion has many faces, I respect those that are vociferous in their support, I believe that those persons think they are as right in their opinions as those on the other side of the divide.
It’s also obviously a generational thing, I’ll wager those persons in the ‘aye’ camp are senior greens. Modern generations don’t have the same patience or experience, they realise that patience is indeed virtuous BUT I think perhaps the modern game has moved on and the shelf-life is hugely shorter

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":1gm2s0c7 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1gm2s0c7 said:
To be honest there are fans even today who can’t stand any criticism against Adams.

Today when Argyle 3 subs came in and the fans sang “you don’t know what your doing” one guy turned around to people near him and berated the people chanting this.

I must admit l smiled. This guy was furious with people and l just wondered to myself if this is part of the problem. People will find any reason (refs, injuries, the players etc..) but because they whole heartily supported this manager they will not blame him for our current predicament.

Maybe they are trying to save face. Maybe if they admit it to themselves about Adams not being as good as they thought it may mean they somehow can’t deal with the emotions that will bring. It’s embarrassing for them.

Yet we all get things wrong. Like UTL says we all say stuff and probably look back and think l shouldn’t of said that. It’s because we are passionate about this club. We have to remember its just an opinion after all. It’s ridiculous all these run ins with have with each other when lm afraid in a situation like this there we should be united as a fan base more than ever because there is only one person to blame, Derek Adams.
I have no problem whatsoever of the majority of supporters, like yourself, who criticise Derek Adams. Indeed, at the moment it would be amazing if there were not a lot more critics than those who continue to support him.
My problem is with those who cannot resist using unnecessary, vicious language and give the impression that they hate him. I just cannot understand that attitude and admit that I become very frustrated with those posts because, despite recent results, I believe that he has given 100% in his commitment to
his job and doesn’t deserve the bile dished out by a small minority who claim to be supporters.
It has become very difficult to defend the quality of some of his appointments in summer 2018.

Totally agree. You don’t have to be nasty in order to get your point across.

I’m afraid though social media has created brave people hidden by the cloak of the internet and until these people are exposed the nasty, vile comments that you find about society in general will continue.

Personally, l think it’s down to a lack of education on how to use social media and the frustration people have with the way things happen in local & national government and the impact it has on them. But that’s another issue, not for a football forum.

Mar 30, 2019
I am intrigued by the comment that it's 'obviously a generational thing'. Nothing seems obvious to me these days....

Mar 30, 2019
I have absolutely no idea, but surely that sample size is far too small to draw any statistically compelling conclusions!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Don’t know what point is trying to be made, but pretty sure I’m a fair bit younger than Shankster.

My position was/is very clear and isn’t stubborn in the least. I could see year on year progress, over achievement relative to budget, promotion and some of my favourite players of the last decade being signed. Therefore I was/am pro-Adams and right behind everything at the football club, which I think is a completely rational position.

Relegation will change that completely and I’m gutted, frustrated, disillusioned and upset with how we’ve completely collapsed.... again. For the first time in a while, I’m going to agree with Mickey and say that I was utterly depressed watching Barnsley and how they play football. We were stuck playing another sport entirely from another decade entirely.

I think Adams deserves another chance if we stay up, but going down unfortunately makes his position borderline untenable.

If either the worst happens, or we make a change regardless, we need to be looking to Europe for the next man and really being progressive in recruitment and playing style.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Biggs":spojs2k6 said:
Don’t know what point is trying to be made, but pretty sure I’m a fair bit younger than Shankster.

My position was/is very clear and isn’t stubborn in the least. I could see year on year progress, over achievement relative to budget, promotion and some of my favourite players of the last decade being signed. Therefore I was/am pro-Adams and right behind everything at the football club, which I think is a completely rational position.

relegation will change that completely and I’m gutted, frustrated, disillusioned and upset with how we’ve completely collapsed.... again. For the first time in a while, I’m going to agree with Mickey and say that I was utterly depressed watching Barnsley and how they play football. We were stuck playing another sport entirely from another decade entirely.

I think Adams deserves another chance if we stay up, but going down unfortunately makes his position borderline untenable.

If either the worst happens, or we make a change regardless, we need to be looking to Europe for the next man and really being progressive in recruitment and playing style.

Can you give us a run-down of the budget for each season that Adams has been here and all of his league competitors please?

I mean I ask because we've clearly had enough disposable this season to employ
C. Grant
P. Grant
Ainsworth
Wylde
Dyson
Wooton
Anderson
all of whom have come in and apparently been immediately surplus to requirements - so I'm not sure that the budget argument holds any water given how profligate Adams seems to be with whatever he has available. But given your unique access to the exact budget available to Adams plus all the budgets of every team we've faced over the past 4 seasons I'm sure you can enlighten us.
Or is it just because Adams says so?

Jul 6, 2005
Unlike Biggs, Knibsworth and one or two others who appear to know the Argyle playing budget as well all that of the other 23 teams in League 1, I have no idea.

What I am pretty sure of is that over the course of the season, on average we have probably been paying something approaching £20,000 a month in wages to the handful of players who have little or no chance of actually playing.

Maybe that’s what Mr Hallett was alluding to when talking about being sustainable.

Out of interest, what is “borderline untenable” if we are relegated? Has he got to go or hasn’t he?

In the event of Adams falling on his sword or being sacked, we have a Board who to their credit freely admit to being football novices. As such, they are not very well equipped to make an appointment from this country. For them to get a “progressive” Manager from Europe to come to a low budget League 2 club would be way beyond their capability.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Humble Pie is the entrails of a deer, cooked into a pasty-like contraption and fed to the poor. U :sad: s!!
Venison is just an historical prawn sandwich. Fed to .. them!! :furious:

May 16, 2016
Useful thing is the old Budget tool.

When Adams wasn't totally public enemy number one and Argyle weren't doing so well but mid table ish was achievabe, then his budget was poor and the Board too frugal and concentrating solely on property.

Fast forward to now and we're a total shambles and likely candidates for relegation, Adams is now universally being blamed for everything and suddenly his budget apparently compares well with the rest and he's basically wasted it.

This without anybody really having a scoobie other than the 10K plus crowd abacus and chalkboard.

Confusing stuff for a simple man.

May 16, 2016
Pogleswoody":3owivvdt said:
Humble Pie is the entrails of a deer, cooked into a pasty-like contraption and fed to the poor. U :sad: s!!
Venison is just an historical prawn sandwich. Fed to .. them!! :furious:

I'd buy Venison but it's dear.