Humble Pie | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Humble Pie

L G

ā™£ļø PACSA Member
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
davie nine":2am7krdd said:
rsp4":2am7krdd said:
Vampires11":2am7krdd said:
so what would have been success?? Did you seriously expect us to be in the play-offs or promoted up against clubs like Sunderland, Pompey, Barnsley, Luton, Charlton etc with the resources they have?
The failure called "staying up" means any position between 7th and 20th????

Anything other than promotion is a failure it seems - what a crock of sh!t

Calm down dear!!!

I was not expecting promotion BUT I was expecting an improvement and to build on last seasons team that was so successful in the Dec to March period. For whatever reason that didn't happen and in fact this team has gone backwards NOT improved.
Christ this team would get tonked in the championship.

So to conclude a failure in my opinion even if we do stay up. Sorry my opinion got you so hot under the collar :)
Do you recall who said this just over 12 months ago, rsp4?

"DA is the right man for the job and I am very glad to say I was wrong". ;) :)

Still, we can all change our minds.
It'll be in your dossier Davie, that's for sure! :lol:

justanotherfan

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":3oqglprh said:
Vampires11":3oqglprh said:
so what would have been success?? Did you seriously expect us to be in the play-offs or promoted up against clubs like Sunderland, Pompey, Barnsley, Luton, Charlton etc with the resources they have?

I agree.

However, l think there are many things you can do which lm not sure Adams has done.

1. Bring through youth players into the first team. We have seen glimpses, but nobody since he has been here has yet to establish themselves as a first team squad regular who consistently gets game time throughout the season. The appearances of Cooper and Jephcott for example, are fleeting, and few and far between. After so many years at the clubā€™s helm l think that is poor.

2. I think he is tactically inflexible. Itā€™s either 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1. Only changes if we are behind or we are having a very bad run of results. When he does change it from the two mentioned formations they normally seem in desperation. For example, he stated he didnā€™t like three at the back formations when he first arrived at the club. When we started to struggle for results he started to use this formation.

3. Our style of play. Plan A is effective, at times. Yet there never has been a real Plan B. If we are allowed to play then thatā€™s OK. However, if a team comes at us especially at the start of games we are often hanging on because we start slowly.

4. The basics. defending, passing and shooting. At times itā€™s woeful. Against Walsall Carey whipped in two delightful free kicks. However, for the majority of matches unless itā€™s a Carey free kick our set plays, especially our corners in particular, never result in chances. Iā€™m not expecting goals all the time. However, in league one set pieces are where you get your easy goals. Sturrocks team was a master at this. In games we werenā€™t playing well we manage to get results through set pieces.

Defending has often been an issue since Adams has been at the club. The way the players stand off opposition players eg Andy Cook against Walsall at HP is something that needs addressing.

Argyle at best, are a mid table league one side. However, until recently we have been very poor. I donā€™t mind losing. There are teams with much more financial clout than us and thatā€™s just the way it is. However, itā€™s like today. Nobody really expected us to win. Yet l find our mindset is defensive from the outset, when really your hoping Argyle will have a go.

I just like to see a more positive, flexible and braver Argyle team especially away from home.

In all honesty if we got promoted to the championship we would get our ass spanked most weeks because of the financial clout of the opposition so until we get somebody willing to invest millions upon millions into this football clubā€™s playing budget then l think league one football is about as good as we can expect for many years to come.

Ben Purrington?

Oct 31, 2015
davie nine":1umaahc4 said:
rsp4":1umaahc4 said:
Vampires11":1umaahc4 said:

Calm down dear!!!

I was not expecting promotion BUT I was expecting an improvement and to build on last seasons team that was so successful in the Dec to March period. For whatever reason that didn't happen and in fact this team has gone backwards NOT improved.
Christ this team would get tonked in the championship.

So to conclude a failure in my opinion even if we do stay up. Sorry my opinion got you so hot under the collar :)
Do you recall who said this just over 12 months ago, rsp4?

"DA is the right man for the job and I am very glad to say I was wrong". ;) :)

Still, we can all change our minds.

Yes mate I can :)

I wasn't expecting another terrible start (sorry poor start for some )and thought lessons had been learnt. I truly hope end of 19/20 season :-

1. I am still breathing
2. I am eating humble pie in vast proportions.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
All the posters shouting about the play offs have suddenly gone quiet.

Guess they are too busy eating copious amounts of humble pie lol

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Fair response, rsp4.
I also hope you are still breathing and that you are eating humble pie in May.
I do understand your frustration at our poor starts in the last 2 seasons.
The only difference is my opinion that, because of the fact that he ā€˜lives footballā€™ and seems loyal and dedicated to his job, he will be successful and I agree with our owners and directors who have persevered with him.
I also believe that, currently, the majority of supporters have faith in him.

Jul 6, 2005
davie nine":39ot4o3q said:
Fair response, rsp4.
The only difference is my opinion that, because of the fact that he ā€˜lives footballā€™ and seems loyal and dedicated to his job, he will be successful and I agree with our owners and directors who have persevered with him.
Davie, not trying to be argumentative but you think that Adams will be successful because he ā€œlives footballā€ and seems loyal and dedicated to his job.

Those are basic requirements surely and what we need in addition is tactical nous, the ability to learn quickly and to make effective changes when things arenā€™t going to plan.

A Manager who needs fully 5 months to get the team playing well consistently is unlikely to be successful, unless like many Argyle/Adams fans, you think staying up in League 1 counts as success.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
demportdave":150vfoo2 said:
davie nine":150vfoo2 said:
Fair response, rsp4.
Davie, not trying to be argumentative but you think that Adams will be successful because he ā€œlives footballā€ and seems loyal and dedicated to his job.

Those are basic requirements surely and what we need in addition is tactical nous, the ability to learn quickly and to make effective changes when things arenā€™t going to plan.

A Manager who needs fully 5 months to get the team playing well consistently is unlikely to be successful, unless like many Argyle/Adams fans, you think staying up in League 1 counts as success.
I believe that he is learning and gaining experience every year that he is in football management. Of course, he has made mistakes but he is capable of adapting to circumstances that confront him.
His overall record here, as I understand, is second only to Paul Sturrockā€™s so his tactical nous cannot be as bad as you are suggesting.
Another thing that convinces me is that, despite these poor runs of form, it is clear that he retains the respect of his players and has never ā€˜lost the dressing roomā€™.
The only player that I am aware of that has criticised him after leaving was the Dutch goalkeeper, te Loeke.
Clearly, we will both have to wait a while longer to find out who is right about Derek Adams but I intend to stick to my opinion and I am sure you will stick to yours.

Oct 31, 2015
davie nine":3cnmsxl5 said:
demportdave":3cnmsxl5 said:
davie nine":3cnmsxl5 said:
Fair response, rsp4.

I believe that he is learning and gaining experience every year that he is in football management. Of course, he has made mistakes but he is capable of adapting to circumstances that confront him.
His overall record here, as I understand, is second only to Paul Sturrockā€™s so his tactical nous cannot be as bad as you are suggesting.
Another thing that convinces me is that, despite these poor runs of form, it is clear that he retains the respect of his players and has never ā€˜lost the dressing roomā€™.
The only player that I am aware of that has criticised him after leaving was the Dutch goalkeeper, te Loeke.
Clearly, we will both have to wait a while longer to find out who is right about Derek Adams but I intend to stick to my opinion and I am sure you will stick to yours.

As ever Davie some good points put forward by your good self rather than the dross others spout.
I think the one area all of us can agree on is we want DA to be successful but some of us think his mistakes have been right howlers putting us in a position we shouldn't be in with some of these players.

I really hope you are right and I'm wrong and at the end of next season I can buy you a pint and you can say told you so :).

For now I will tolerate him (in your words) if he keeps us up but boy a 3rd season with a "poor" start and I will be shouting the same rhetoric .

Jul 6, 2005
davie nine":1us3r8on said:
demportdave":1us3r8on said:
davie nine":1us3r8on said:
Fair response, rsp4.

Fair comment, we donā€™t often agree, particularly when it comes to Adams.

Saturday was an example of the lack of tactical nous from Adams.

If ever there was a game where we needed to keep the ball in their half it was against Sunderland. There was a strong case for playing Taylor, either on his own or alongside Ladapo. But once again, he chose to sit back and let them have the ball and dictate the tempo of the game. It was only a matter of time before they scored.

Adams main tactic was to put out a statement midweek about Ladapo being a serious doubt for the match, then starting him. A rather pathetic attempt to employ Ferguson-esque mind games which fell completely flat. Ladapo up front on his own was largely a passenger. No ability to hold the ball up and no desire to run, chase and close them down. After easily getting possession, they brought the ball up to the halfway line and beyond at will, particularly in the first half.

A couple of weeks before, Accrington went up there with 2 up front, took the game to them, scored early goals and were unlucky to only get a draw. That required imagination from John Coleman which Adams does not possess. Colemanā€™s philosophy was that they were expected to lose so they gave it a real go, surprising Sunderland with their attacking intent.

With Adams itā€™s all about damage control and it is all so predictable and plays into the hands of the opposition. We have seen so many games like that over the last 4 seasons, try and get to half time at 0-0 and maybe pinch a goal from a set play in the second half.

Adams once again sent out a negative team and then complained that his players looked afraid, which is a very poor indication of his ability to motivate the players. What was their mindset at the kick off? They certainly appeared to lack the belief that they could actually get something from the game.

Come back Holloway, all is forgiven. He may be a treacherous liar, but he never sent out an Argyle team to get beaten because that was all they could expect.

Sep 6, 2006
demportdave":3u3ezqyk said:
davie nine":3u3ezqyk said:
demportdave":3u3ezqyk said:
davie nine":3u3ezqyk said:
Fair response, rsp4.

If ever there was a game where we needed to keep the ball in their half it was against Sunderland. There was a strong case for playing Taylor, either on his own or alongside Ladapo. But once again, he chose to sit back and let them have the ball and dictate the tempo of the game. It was only a matter of time before they scored.

Adams main tactic was to put out a statement midweek about Ladapo being a serious doubt for the match, then starting him. A rather pathetic attempt to employ Ferguson-esque mind games which fell completely flat. Ladapo up front on his own was largely a passenger. No ability to hold the ball up and no desire to run, chase and close them down. After easily getting possession, they brought the ball up to the halfway line and beyond at will, particularly in the first half.

A couple of weeks before, Accrington went up there with 2 up front, took the game to them, scored early goals and were unlucky to only get a draw. That required imagination from John Coleman which Adams does not possess. Colemanā€™s philosophy was that they were expected to lose so they gave it a real go, surprising Sunderland with their attacking intent.

With Adams itā€™s all about damage control and it is all so predictable and plays into the hands of the opposition. We have seen so many games like that over the last 4 seasons, try and get to half time at 0-0 and maybe pinch a goal from a set play in the second half.

Adams once again sent out a negative team and then complained that his players looked afraid, which is a very poor indication of his ability to motivate the players. What was their mindset at the kick off? They certainly appeared to lack the belief that they could actually get something from the game.

Come back Holloway, all is forgiven. He may be a treacherous liar, but he never sent out an Argyle team to get beaten because that was all they could expect.

Exactly. Adams can never admit he gets it wrong. Part of his arrogance which aggravates some fans. Davienines argument that he is dedicated and loyal is about as feeble and limited as you can get.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
rsp4":3i9davrp said:
davie nine":3i9davrp said:
demportdave":3i9davrp said:
davie nine":3i9davrp said:
Fair response, rsp4.

As ever Davie some good points put forward by your good self rather than the dross others spout.
I think the one area all of us can agree on is we want DA to be successful but some of us think his mistakes have been right howlers putting us in a position we shouldn't be in with some of these players.

I really hope you are right and I'm wrong and at the end of next season I can buy you a pint and you can say told you so :).

For now I will tolerate him (in your words) if he keeps us up but boy a 3rd season with a "poor" start and I will be shouting the same rhetoric .
Ok, mate. I enjoy our debates and I hope that in May our mutual ambitions are realised.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
demportdave":3p1jsouu said:
davie nine":3p1jsouu said:
demportdave":3p1jsouu said:
davie nine":3p1jsouu said:
Fair response, rsp4.

I can only say that you are probably right about Saturdayā€™s performance although we could have got a lucky draw if we were awarded the penalty for handball.
My observations were not about one game but about DAā€™s overall record since he was appointed. It was also about the level of respect that he has from the important people at our club; namely, the majority of supporters, players, owner and Board of Directors who you have praised on the Grandstand thread even if you donā€™t expect us to proceed much further whilst they are at the helm.
Anyhow, I am quite happy to debate sensibly with you and rsp4 but I will withdraw from this thread now that the Balham Bore has decided to join in.

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
samjones":ihb69193 said:
All the posters shouting about the play offs have suddenly gone quiet.

Guess they are too busy eating copious amounts of humble pie lol

That was never a possibility. Top half is a realistic ambition and will be an ok season given our current financial resources.

David Friio's mate

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
TynanWozGr8":12iampjb said:
I hope a significant number of the posters on here are now eating a large slice of humble pie after Adams has turned the season around

Heā€™s too good a manager not to have

When he does go letā€™s hope he doesnā€™t get the lacking loyalty poo - the abuse he got was a f1king joke

This hasnā€™t aged well, has it? A lesson in hubris for a few people, Iā€™d hope.

May 1, 2011
TynanWozGr8":1ukubwx1 said:
I hope a significant number of the posters on here are now eating a large slice of humble pie after Adams has turned the season around

Heā€™s too good a manager not to have

When he does go letā€™s hope he doesnā€™t get the lacking loyalty poo - the abuse he got was a f1king joke

We are all waiting for you to admit you were horribly wrong, just hold your hands up and admit it.