Goodbye Freddie (signs for Rotherham) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goodbye Freddie (signs for Rotherham)

Jul 12, 2016
demportdave":2qxawj56 said:
Justin":2qxawj56 said:
demportdave":2qxawj56 said:
macleanie":2qxawj56 said:
Very worrying. Soon this squad could be severely lacking in talent.
Do you mean the "talent" that gutlessly surrendered our hard-fought for status as a League 1 club over the last 3 months of the season.

I would suggest that all of the players who have departed in the last couple of weeks had already made the decision to move on well before the end of the season. That is the only logical explanation for our dramatic capitulation and relegation.

When it really mattered, they didn't care and it culminated in the shameful performance at Accrington. In fairness, the only ones I would exclude from criticism are probably Songo'o and Carey.

Freddie was on the bench against Accrington. We were 3-0 down when came on.
Read the full post Justin.

I said that the players lacked fight and commitment for 3 months, Accrington was the cumulation of it. In far too many games leading up to that woeful performance, the players almost seemed to accept defeat and showed very little respect for the many fans who followed them up and down the country on a regular basis; hardly the stuff of ā€œlegendsā€ I would suggest.

The wheels had come off well before that day in Accrington, but when myself and a few others posted our concerns we were derided by the likes of you because of a few wins in January. Early into the New Year I posted ā€œwe are sleep-walking to relegationā€ and got slaughtered by green tints telling me we are in mid-table and will finish in the top half.

When you have seen Argyle relegated as often as some of us, you recognise certain ominous signs and they were all in evidence for much of last season. Key among them was a lack of heart from too many of the players and the feeling that they could and should be doing much better.

Spot on again. The team hoisted the white flag with few exceptions. How they bottled it towards the end of the season was unforgivable.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't usually agree which much you two miserable old buggers say, but it's hard to argue with any of this.

Nov 18, 2011
Tugboat":1cnbf4m9 said:
Sadly I donā€™t see RT being RLā€™s type of player either

Yep. The Ryan Taylor of 2019 is not the same player as in 2017, the injuries are really taking their toll.

Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
I feel a bit guilty as Iā€™m not disappointed Freddie is leaving. Yes, he got his fare share of goals but just seemed uninterested some games. His hold up play was very poor and didnā€™t help the side get forward.

Aug 11, 2013
Fair enough - the league 1 teams chasing him donā€™t know what theyā€™re doing, havenā€™t done their homework and the 18 goals he scored were simply a lucky bi product of some mediocre performances.

Lamieras Songo Carey Fox Edwards and now Ladapo would not have been the first players Iā€™d have marked on my ā€˜clearance listā€™

Could do with some good news soon !

cheshiregreen

āœ… Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
The Doctor":aole0vbd said:
Iā€™m thinking thereā€™ll be no bidding war, even though multiple clubs are interested because there is a trigger price in his contract that once paid allows him to leave. This is pure conjecture on my part but it fits the way that the Herald article is written.

Could well be the case, but, if Sunderland bid Ā£400,000 back in January window when they seemed desperate to recruit a striker so they could easily have upped it by the extra Ā£100k to trigger the clause.

But who knows? He will clearly be gone very soon.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
How Sunderland are still interested him after his 'display' is beyond me. He was truly atrocious that day.

Jul 3, 2006
IJN":2fgcatf3 said:
arrythewurzel":2fgcatf3 said:
Gutted, and gutted on the whole no-one's that bothered on here. We should press the club to be renamed Plymouth Apathy. The first decent striker we've had - bang - give him away. Ā£750K for useless Steve Maclean and we sell our star man at bargain basement prices.

I like to think of it like this. Could we go out and spend that Ā£500k on an equivalent player - I'd say no we couldn't. He'd tear up league 2.

He didn't want to play for us towards the end, I was told that by a player now give.

Sod him. Sell him for what we can get and get someone in who is proud to wear green.

If any player, other than Lameiras, is deluded enough to think they're in a position to criticise Ladapo's contribution to the team last season, that says a great deal about why we ended up where we did.

Incidentally, in his last two starts for Argyle, he scored two goals, running from practically the halfway line to score v Gillingham and crashing a 20 yard volley into the top corner v Scunthorpe. Really looked like he didn't want to be here.

Perhaps the consensus on this thread is right and Brentford, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc - who could have the pick of any player they want in the bottom two divisions - are all wrong. Maybe Argyle are going to stitch these richer clubs up once again by passing on a Sonny Bradley-style dud while we pick up a superior replacement for a fraction of the price.

But personally I think this looks like the only good player we have contracted for next season on their way out.

Jan 2, 2010
A hangover from a poor season, hardly raised the bar at times.
On of the ingredients in the cocktail of cock-up.

Aug 10, 2006
Ipplepen green":1z7hg9dc said:
I feel a bit guilty as Iā€™m not disappointed Freddie is leaving. Yes, he got his fare share of goals but just seemed uninterested some games. His hold up play was very poor and didnā€™t help the side get forward.
rather have taylor who sometimes holds the ball up and who can't score in a brothel than someone who put the ball in the back of the net 19 times brilliant, hopefully lowe will have the sense to bring in at least 2 goalscorers.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
loyal1970":2c443flo said:
Ipplepen green":2c443flo said:
rather have taylor who sometimes holds the ball up and who can't score in a brothel than someone who put the ball in the back of the net 19 times brilliant, hopefully lowe will have the sense to bring in at least 2 goalscorers.
i hope he uses alex fletcher in a two prong attack.he will score goals if given his chance in my opinion.