Goodbye Freddie (signs for Rotherham) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goodbye Freddie (signs for Rotherham)

Nov 18, 2011
Voice_of_Reason":2d1dea7h said:
Somewhere in amongst the "he's not that good", "take the money", "Argyle price" - you have to factor in the player himself, if (and its a big if) if an established Championship Club has shown an interest, he would rightly want to move on for his own gain, that has to be expected when you are in League 2.

He has 12 months left on his contract, we price him out of a move, he can sulk, do the bare minimum and move in January for far less and everyone loses.

I dont think he has the ability to step up to Championship level, however, i think i'd put a clause in any sale for 15% for any future sales, just in case. We have seen over the years even at that level clubs spend big 7 figure sums on average players out of desperation.

Let him go, add the money to RL's budget and move on.

Yep, agree with all of this especially the sell on clause in case he isn't a flash in the pan. There just isn't any point keeping a player who doesn't want to be here, there's no guarantee a demotivated Ladapo would score goals and he could be a negative influence in the dressing room.

After scoring 19 goals in a rubbish League 1 team he was never going to want to stay at a League 2 team, lets hope we can get a bidding war going between several clubs.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
arrythewurzel":1185vcn1 said:
Gutted, and gutted on the whole no-one's that bothered on here. We should press the club to be renamed Plymouth Apathy. The first decent striker we've had - bang - give him away. £750K for useless Steve Maclean and we sell our star man at bargain basement prices.

I like to think of it like this. Could we go out and spend that £500k on an equivalent player - I'd say no we couldn't. He'd tear up league 2.

He didn't want to play for us towards the end, I was told that by a player now give.

Sod him. Sell him for what we can get and get someone in who is proud to wear green.

Sep 2, 2008
IJN":28j2g8nq said:
arrythewurzel":28j2g8nq said:
Gutted, and gutted on the whole no-one's that bothered on here. We should press the club to be renamed Plymouth Apathy. The first decent striker we've had - bang - give him away. £750K for useless Steve Maclean and we sell our star man at bargain basement prices.

I like to think of it like this. Could we go out and spend that £500k on an equivalent player - I'd say no we couldn't. He'd tear up league 2.

He didn't want to play for us towards the end, I was told that by a player now give.

Sod him. Sell him for what we can get and get someone in who is proud to wear green.
Exactly. It showed as well in the way he played. I also think thats what Adams was suggesting during that time when he said that Ladapo had made himself 'unavailable'. Not a very professional 'professional' at all. Really hope there is truth in these rumours

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
If we cannot get more than $500k, I wonder if he has a buy out clause in his contract for that figure?

Could this have been activated when we got relegated?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
19 goals for a relegated team is fantastic and if you consider the many misses he should have had 30 goals but one particular instance in one of the later games summed him up. He didn't close down or chase the opposition defenders which left Carey fuming, it was Carey who did the closing down and he gave Ladapo an absolute mouthful finishing with an arms in the air gesture towards the dug-out.

His pace would have been crucial in League Two but his suspect attitude under a new era would not be helpful.
The best goal scoring striker we've had since Reuben Reid but a very average lone striker for the team.

DA’s gamble on FL could have gone either way. It turned out to be an astute signing, but his previous record was poor and inconsistent. Clever of DA to see what others couldn’t. I think I’d rather have the money. He was a good opportunistic striker, and in the right team will continue to do well. However his first touch and hold-up play was non-existent, and with that money spent on wages we could do better IMO.

Dec 22, 2010
north devon
Nearly all his goals were scored against lower league teams. Not a team player get what we can and move on , just my opinion.

Nov 2, 2004
He had his head turned in January. 500k is very fair, he only has 12 mths left on his contract. There is no point in trying to hold on to him, he would sulk. Wyke would be a great px.

Mar 23, 2008
Biggs":1ur8ksq9 said:
Adam_R":1ur8ksq9 said:
Deacster":1ur8ksq9 said:
I think his goals often came at the expense of the team.

Don't quite understand this Deacster. How did his goals come at a detriment to the team. In 2017/8 we scored 58 goals and came 7th. Last season we scored 56 (Freddie scoring just under 1/3) and we finished 21st. Without him last season we would have been much worse off.

I think the point is that he may have scored a lot of goals himself, but the team didn't play as well and the goals weren't as spread out.

Especially conceding so many goals, a target-man who could have held the ball up and stopped it coming back into our half would have been valuable. In particular with all those lost leads.
Exactly that. His goal scoring record was very good for a struggling team but a more efficient target man may have scored less but would have been a better foil for Carey and Lamieras and as Biggs says held the ball up better to take the pressure off our defence. As a target man plan A is to win the ball, plan B is if you can't win the ball then make it difficult for the defender to create a lose ball. Trigger was the master of that, too often Freddie just ducked or didn't even challenge allowing centre backs a clean header which they can then direct into a holding midfielder or full back and allows the opposition to come straight back at you.

Jan 3, 2017
I'm fed up of us signing these lazy 20-goal a season types and selling them for a huge profit. Ebanks-Blake was just as bad. Yeah, he scored loads of goals, but didn't 'bleed green' or run around a lot.

Hoping we bring in someone like Marvin Morgan, Nardiello or Deane Smalley. Proper players who had good goalscoring records. Heard there's an ageing Welsh fireman who fancies turning pro too.

May 21, 2015
Terrific season for him despite relegation, but I'm sure if Lowe really wanted him we'd be keeping him.
Happy to take the money and reinvest.

Jul 6, 2005
macleanie":msqs34vs said:
Very worrying. Soon this squad could be severely lacking in talent.
Do you mean the "talent" that gutlessly surrendered our hard-fought for status as a League 1 club over the last 3 months of the season.

I would suggest that all of the players who have departed in the last couple of weeks had already made the decision to move on well before the end of the season. That is the only logical explanation for our dramatic capitulation and relegation.

When it really mattered, they didn't care and it culminated in the shameful performance at Accrington. In fairness, the only ones I would exclude from criticism are probably Songo'o and Carey.

Argyle fans have been gushing in their praise of some the players who have left which I cannot understand looking at their performances last season, both as individuals and as a team.

Wimbledon were all but dead and buried by mid-season and Rochdale weren't in a much better position, but their players dug in, showed some real fight and "played for the shirt".

If only some of our recently nominated "legends" had shown the same fight and commitment, perhaps we would still be a League 1 side.

If Ladapo wants to go, let him go. Take the money and move on with people who want to be here. I'll share the driving with IJN if it helps gets him away quicker.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I'm fairly sure Ryan Lowe would have spoke to KN for one and got the lowdown on him as a player and a person.

If KN has given him any indication that he's not 100% a "team man" RL i'm sure will make an assessment of whether keeping him here and losing him for nothing next May, or a greatly reduced price in January if worth it.

If he feels that for the money he can do better, than we as a club/supporters back that judgement.

Aug 23, 2009
Southway
demportdave":1avgdl8r said:
macleanie":1avgdl8r said:
Very worrying. Soon this squad could be severely lacking in talent.
Do you mean the "talent" that gutlessly surrendered our hard-fought for status as a League 1 club over the last 3 months of the season.

I would suggest that all of the players who have departed in the last couple of weeks had already made the decision to move on well before the end of the season. That is the only logical explanation for our dramatic capitulation and relegation.

When it really mattered, they didn't care and it culminated in the shameful performance at Accrington. In fairness, the only ones I would exclude from criticism are probably Songo'o and Carey.

Argyle fans have been gushing in their praise of some the players who have left which I cannot understand looking at their performances last season, both as individuals and as a team.

Wimbledon were all but dead and buried by mid-season and Rochdale weren't in a much better position, but their players dug in, showed some real fight and "played for the shirt".

If only some of our recently nominated "legends" had shown the same fight and commitment, perhaps we would still be a League 1 side.

If Ladapo wants to go, let him go. Take the money and move on with people who want to be here. I'll share the driving with IJN if it helps gets him away quicker.

Amen to that.