Goodbye Freddie (signs for Rotherham) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goodbye Freddie (signs for Rotherham)

Jan 29, 2010
i hope he uses alex fletcher in a two prong attack.he will score goals if given his chance in my opinion.[/quote]

I have watched him play on numerous occasions and your right he will score goals but, not at Football League level.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Pete H":3byf8ok3 said:
i hope he uses alex fletcher in a two prong attack.he will score goals if given his chance in my opinion.

I have watched him play on numerous occasions and your right he will score goals but, not at Football League level.[/quote]

Mind you, lots of people thought the same with Ashley Barnes.

Mar 23, 2008
IJN":3pm7kc7m said:
I don't usually agree which much you two miserable old buggers say, but it's hard to argue with any of this.
Indeed and whilst certain players such as Carey and Songo are a miss, having so many players leaving feels like a therapeutic cleansing process. As a collective, they didn't fancy it and that is unforgivable.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Adam_R":rwrl821v said:
Knibbsworth":rwrl821v said:
The price needs driving up. How much would Exeter want for a top League One goalscorer without pen duties? They certainly wouldn't be driving him up the M5 for £500k. We have a very strange approach as a club at realising and valuing our playing assets.

We always complain about "Plymouth prices" yet we downplay all of our players and say we'd drive them to whatever club for peanuts.

12 months on we will be complaining that some generic club sold their 15 goal striker for 1m+ and we only got 500k for Freddie.

Whether or not you like the guy, his stats would point towards a figure far higher than 500k. Most other clubs probably arent expecting a goal scoring, defence pressuring, team player, goal creating striker. Just someone who can put the ball in the net which undoubtedly this guy can.

Exactly.

Those who are saying it’s Freddie’s first season scoring bags of goals ... maybe that’s because it’s his first season settled as first choice at a club (Credit must go to Adams for that).

He’s only going to get better.

Check out his goal against Millwall if you think he can only score at league 1 level.

Sep 6, 2006
Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":es44lc76 said:
IJN":es44lc76 said:
arrythewurzel":es44lc76 said:
Gutted, and gutted on the whole no-one's that bothered on here. We should press the club to be renamed Plymouth Apathy. The first decent striker we've had - bang - give him away. £750K for useless Steve Maclean and we sell our star man at bargain basement prices.

I like to think of it like this. Could we go out and spend that £500k on an equivalent player - I'd say no we couldn't. He'd tear up league 2.

He didn't want to play for us towards the end, I was told that by a player now give.

Sod him. Sell him for what we can get and get someone in who is proud to wear green.

If any player, other than Lameiras, is deluded enough to think they're in a position to criticise Ladapo's contribution to the team last season, that says a great deal about why we ended up where we did.

Incidentally, in his last two starts for Argyle, he scored two goals, running from practically the halfway line to score v Gillingham and crashing a 20 yard volley into the top corner v Scunthorpe. Really looked like he didn't want to be here.

Perhaps the consensus on this thread is right and Brentford, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc - who could have the pick of any player they want in the bottom two divisions - are all wrong. Maybe Argyle are going to stitch these richer clubs up once again by passing on a Sonny Bradley-style dud while we pick up a superior replacement for a fraction of the price.

But personally I think this looks like the only good player we have contracted for next season on their way out.

The goal at Gillingham was not from half way line! Thats riduculous!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Willis88":y4o08ley said:
Ave_IT":y4o08ley said:
Voice_of_Reason":y4o08ley said:
Somewhere in amongst the "he's not that good", "take the money", "Argyle price" - you have to factor in the player himself, if (and its a big if) if an established Championship Club has shown an interest, he would rightly want to move on for his own gain, that has to be expected when you are in League 2.

He has 12 months left on his contract, we price him out of a move, he can sulk, do the bare minimum and move in January for far less and everyone loses.

I dont think he has the ability to step up to Championship level, however, i think i'd put a clause in any sale for 15% for any future sales, just in case. We have seen over the years even at that level clubs spend big 7 figure sums on average players out of desperation.

Let him go, add the money to RL's budget and move on.
Agreed - and good point. It's a shame in some ways as a motivated Freddie would have scored a lot in L2 and some continuity would be good....... but he's far from being irreplaceable and he's not a great team player. We have to take the money if he wants to go but I do agree with the sentiment that these days £500K for a 19-goal striker in a relegated team who didn't take pens seems remarkably cheap - indeed chicken-feed for most Championship clubs. Other L1/L2 clubs seem to get million-plus for players that have had a decent season especially strikers.

Freddie showed exactly this when we turned down the bid from Sunderland, from February through to May he wasn't the same player, clearly upset about missing out on the opportunity to earn more at a "bigger" club.

He's worth more than £500K and if there's more than one club in the market Argyle should play them off to get the most, the more in the budget for more reliable players with potential (even if some is used to off-set Adams' and RL's costs).

Why the inverted commas around 'bigger'? Do you think it should have said 'much bigger', because they are!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Emu":2c7995p1 said:
Pete H":2c7995p1 said:
i hope he uses alex fletcher in a two prong attack.he will score goals if given his chance in my opinion.

I have watched him play on numerous occasions and your right he will score goals but, not at Football League level.

Mind you, lots of people thought the same with Ashley Barnes.[/quote]
Indeed, and he’s doing it at Premier League level. I hope RL and SS have a look to see what Alex Fletcher can offer.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":2hmmzlbg said:
IJN":2hmmzlbg said:
arrythewurzel":2hmmzlbg said:
Gutted, and gutted on the whole no-one's that bothered on here. We should press the club to be renamed Plymouth Apathy. The first decent striker we've had - bang - give him away. £750K for useless Steve Maclean and we sell our star man at bargain basement prices.

I like to think of it like this. Could we go out and spend that £500k on an equivalent player - I'd say no we couldn't. He'd tear up league 2.

He didn't want to play for us towards the end, I was told that by a player now give.

Sod him. Sell him for what we can get and get someone in who is proud to wear green.

If any player, other than Lameiras, is deluded enough to think they're in a position to criticise Ladapo's contribution to the team last season, that says a great deal about why we ended up where we did.

Incidentally, in his last two starts for Argyle, he scored two goals, running from practically the halfway line to score v Gillingham and crashing a 20 yard volley into the top corner v Scunthorpe. Really looked like he didn't want to be here.

Perhaps the consensus on this thread is right and Brentford, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc - who could have the pick of any player they want in the bottom two divisions - are all wrong. Maybe Argyle are going to stitch these richer clubs up once again by passing on a Sonny Bradley-style dud while we pick up a superior replacement for a fraction of the price.

But personally I think this looks like the only good player we have contracted for next season on their way out.

Well said.

If true this is a worrying development. We need a minimum £1million if Freddie departs, otherwise it’s the same old embarrassing Argyle giving quality players away on the cheap.

Feddie is destined to play in the Premier League but sadly there’s clearly no one left at the club to realise this if he goes for a relative pittance. He’s capable of scoring 35 goals in L2 this season if he stays..

And why IJN are you treating hearsay as gospel? You’re condemning our best player as someone that’s not ‘proud to wear green’ based on what? An alleged conversation with a jealous player?

May 16, 2016
Justin":1vb51erp said:
Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":1vb51erp said:
IJN":1vb51erp said:
arrythewurzel":1vb51erp said:

Well said.

If true this is a worrying development. We need a minimum £1million if Freddie departs, otherwise it’s the same old embarrassing Argyle giving quality players away on the cheap.

Feddie is destined to play in the Premier League but sadly there’s clearly no one left at the club to realise this if he goes for a relative pittance. He’s capable of scoring 35 goals in L2 this season if he stays..

And why IJN are you treating hearsay as gospel? You’re condemning our best player as someone that’s not ‘proud to wear green’ based on what? An alleged conversation with a jealous player?

Thing is, there's 'demanding' £1M and no less, then there's what somebody is actually prepared to pay , then there's no sale and a disillusioned uncommitted Player on your books that's 'worth' £1M but performs like a £500 one.

Premier League? 'You're 'avin a larf'.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
and like I said, maybe there’s a buy-out amount agreed in Ladapo’s contract at the time he originally signed which means he can go for £500k. Maybe putting such a clause in was the only way to get him to move all the way down here. If so, all this talk of £1m, Plymouth Prices etc is irrelevant.

Maybe. I know nothing but it’s certainly possible and would make a lot of sense.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Can't believe somebody suggested he would score 35 next season.

For every goal he scored he'd miss about 20!

Whenever he was given time to finish he fluffed it. That's not an instinctive finisher.

One good season on his record. He ain't worth a million.

P

PAFC Galactico

Ted":124jrmjw said:

Whenever he was given time to finish he fluffed it. That's not an instinctive finisher.

Well said, I lost count of the amount of chances he missed last season. I’m sure there’s a striker we could buy from league 2 or national league that can get us 19 goals next season in league 2 for a fraction of £500,000

Also I’ve just this minute stopped laughing at whoever suggested he will play in the premier league, not April 1st is it? :funny:

Jan 2, 2006
Greenarmy99":4rar3rdq said:
[

Also I’ve just this minute stopped laughing at whoever suggested he will play in the premier league, not April 1st is it? :funny:

He has already played in the premier league !! ;)

Sep 2, 2008
Ted":1e222aol said:

That would be Justin....the same Justin that thought Macey was an awesome keeper... :think: