Goals (striker debate) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goals (striker debate)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
It's not to take away from those goals in those games. It's just a fact that if you remove those 2 games, we have scored 45 in 44. We scored 53 in 46 overall, yes, but we also scored 45 in 44. Either way, an average of both are very similar - 1.15 and 1.02, and both round down to 1 goal. I guess using 44 in 45 just emphasises the fact that we are averaging quite literally just 1 goal a game, across a large sample size, or near enough the entire season.
Not sure I understand you a goal is a goal isn’t it? So equally you could remove 2 matches we didn’t score a goal so it would give 53 goals in 44 matches.

Reactions: ely grap
Jul 4, 2008
newton abbot
It is a worry. I'm not too concerned yet though. Agree with another forward coming in; someone with more experience to support those we have. I must say I am pleased with the energy Ennis is showing. He caused BC lots of problems yesterday. Hardy seems to be getting more opportunities to shoot. Jephcott. In the system, he seem to be playing too deep for the type of striker he is. Maybe with Cooper getting back to fitness it will suit Jephcott with more byline crosses.

Aug 15, 2015
Not sure I understand you a goal is a goal isn’t it? So equally you could remove 2 matches we didn’t score a goal so it would give 53 goals in 44 matches.
I'm just removing the outliers. In this case, that is the 2 games where we scored 4x. Other than those two games, we typically scored a goal or two per game, as reflected in the end of season average. If we averaged 3 or 4 goals per game across the entire season, then I wouldn't remove those 2 games, because it would be roughly in line with how we were consistently scoring. Whereas, the 2x games where we scored 4 goals, wasn't in line with our consistent scoring pattern. I'm focusing on the consistent score pattern.

Likewise, we conceded 80 goals last season but this was skewed by a handful of games where we conceded, what 5/6 in a handful. That doesn't mean we concede 5 or 6 in every game. Our actual average was 1.74 goals conceded per game. You can see how in those games where we conceded 5 or 6, they veer from our average goals conceded tally. The outliers in this case are far away from the average number of goals we conceded per game, which rounded up from 1.74, makes 2.

Gets a bit complicated but I was just trying to focus in on the averages, whilst removing the outliers, as the outliers can be misleading.

Dec 30, 2020
I see your point, although I personally don't think Mayor has that ability in the final third to unlock or decide a game in the way that Carey & Lameiras could. Mayor to me is someone who is more of a star at L2 level, where naturally gifted players like him are less and it's more rough and ready, and more of a physical contest. But I don't think he's a difference maker at L1 level, where he's surrounded by many similar footballing players, in more footballing teams. Yet, he has all the natural ability, he has the touch, the awareness, the skill, the technique. Other than when he's really playing out of his skin (which is rare), I don't see him as someone who will consistently beat defenders at will, and then deliver a pinpoint cross, or ping a shot into the top corner, at this level. Again, making that difference at the top end. Maybe in L2 though, or at least his numbers were better with Bury in L2. But he still has all the skill and natural ability on the ball to be comfortable in a midfield position at L1 level, to be in the middle of the park and passing the ball around with total ease. He's smooth with the ball and he's a nice player to have on the ball in a central position. But I don't see him turning games for us, turning the screw. Even when he's high up the pitch, he struggles to convert when in the right areas. He doesn't seem to know how to use his abilities and damage the opponent. And if he's not going to do it, who is? Maybe that's why Lowe has him deeper? Who knows.
But my point is Mayor *never* gets the ball high up the pitch with the opportunity to run at defenders who are on the back foot, and with space in behind them. Because of the slow pace of our attacks, whenever he gets into the final third he's always facing two banks of players to go through and if he beats one man, he's straight into another.

In those difficult circumstances, he's actually incredibly good at dribbling past people and finding threaded passes into virtually no space.

It's the same issue for the forwards. We never get an attack going where we're running towards goal with men over, the opposition out of position, and space to run into. They're always left waiting for a pass in a crowded penalty area, or dropping off to receive the ball with their back to goal, from midfielders/wingbacks who are too deep to then get up the pitch and support them.

It basically requires an absolutely perfect pass, and/or the forward to beat the entire opposition defence single-handedly

Reactions: Chip green

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
We really do need to make the keeper work to save our shots. In the 3 friendlies, we have created chances but we seem to either shoot straight at the keeper (Jephcott) or blaze it over the bar (Camara). I can only recall one effort on Tuesday that produced a good save (Hardie), at least he tried to lift it over the keeper. Even Ennis does not yet instil confidence with his finishing.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Crying out for an experienced head up front. Someone who doesn’t need to run around much but just occupies opposition defenders with experience and physically

Feb 13, 2021
Based on the last 3 games, I disagree. He had one today that I can think of, he had one against Middlesbrough where Camara put him through, and I can't recall anything against Swansea. Difficult to judge the one vs Middlesbrough as he was still quite far out and he had to hit it 1st time. He should have scored today. But other than that, I don't recall any chances that the midfield have engineered for him. It was the same towards the back end of last season. We were playing terribly and in many games we weren't creating a thing for our forwards.
That’s the massive problem with Jepchott unless a chance is created for him he doesn’t create anything for himself unlike Ennis! Jepchott in my opinion is poor at best! In my opinion we need midfielders and wing backs to step up and start scoring until the forwards can find thier scoring boots!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The shooting stats from last season ...
The average of 12.3 shots/goal attempts per game was the 8th highest, the average of 4 shots on target was the 13th highest.

Which shows we were good at creating chances and shooting but just below average at getting those shots on target.
The shots on target obviously really needs to improve this season and not just from the strikers.

Reactions: Mark Pedlar
Sep 6, 2006
Galloway is 25 and has hardly played any games during his career due to a multitude of injury problems. In some respects, he is still a novice. It would be foolish for any club to offer Galloway a long term deal until it is proven that he can play a whole season without serious injury.

Personally, I think Argyle need to sign another centre back even if Galloway extends his deal here. Tomlinson is a youth player who Lowe wants to send out on loan and Galloway’s fitness cannot be relied on. Three games into the season and already Argyle are short of central defensive options.

The team has good attacking options but still look light at the back to me. I‘d rather see a new defender sign than another striker.
Really? !So what are all our striking options?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Garrick is a winger Broom midfield Ennis out until October and Shirley is a kid. Mayor a striker seriously?!

Lowe has played Broom and Garrick upfront so it does appear they are striking options.

Reactions: philevs
Sep 6, 2006
Lowe has played Broom and Garrick upfront so it does appear they are striking options.
So are you suggesting they are realistic striking options? They are not. They played there for very short periods of time, obviously because there was no-one else. That doesn't make them strikers. We need a target man anyway.