Goals (striker debate) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goals (striker debate)

Oct 5, 2013
I don’t think anyone disagrees we need another striker in, if only temporarily, and RL is trying to do this.
In the meantime, our other options need to be considered just in case, and that’s what we are discussing here!

Reactions: Greendawe
Aug 5, 2016
This is not strictly so. End of season rest and rehab, plus pre season goals may have made more of a difference to both than an unfortunate injury. We could have 3 attacking players scoring goals if it wasn't for the injury !

I respectfully disagree.

Jephcott was going like a steam train until we signed Ennis.

Then Lowe made himself a problem because Ennis is technically better than the two strikers he had. However the fact is the team did not score as many goals as with the poacher and the whippet.

It was a tough decision but he went with his best striker Ennis more often than not. Lowe then rotated on the odd occasion but going back to Jephcott and Hardie didn't work by then as their rhythm seemed interrupted. Jephcott went from scoring every other game to not even having a chance for 5 games at a time.

By that time we had defensive issues, G. Cooper was out injured, the CBs were booting long aimless balls up the pitch and Hardie couldn't do anything with them. At the back we were seeing shocking lapses in concentration. Mayor was out of form and then Camara seemed to lose his mojo.

Perhaps you are right and everyone just needed a rest. But I don't think professional players run out of steam in January, which is round about when we seemed to lose form and consistency.

The very subtle decision to introduce Ennis seemed to knock Jephcott out of his stride, and the experiment with tactics behind the scenes to adapt to Ennis's hold up play seemed to also affect the form of Hardie, Mayor, Camara and the back 3. We didn't seem the same team after January to the confident one before it.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
In a similar way that an injury to Ennis had put our best striking partnership back together an unfortunate injury to Danny Mayor has seen the team become more direct in moving the ball up the pitch particularly with the through balls or slide rule passes for Hardie to run onto.
Mayor does a good job in getting the ball up the pitch with his dribbles it's just that when he gets to the opposition penalty area the defenders are set and Mayor reaches a dead end.
The introduction of Broom and Houghton has made the team more direct and utilises the pace of Hardie.

That's not to say Ennis and Mayor are poor players, far from it and they will play a part this season, it's just that the whole team performs differently and better without them, although it is still early days.

Mar 16, 2009
London
I don’t think anyone disagrees we need another striker in, if only temporarily, and RL is trying to do this.
In the meantime, our other options need to be considered just in case, and that’s what we are discussing here!

Temporarily??

We’re urgently in need of one (or two) new *permanent* strikers to add to the squad.

We can’t seriously compete across the season without them.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
RL is probably looking for a needle in a haystack- all other managers in the league are doing exactly the same thing- he cannot magic one or two out of thin air
Until another signing walks through the door we have to make do with what we have
If he cannot get in the bodies he requires before the end of the month- he will have to wait until the January transfer window & hope none of our players pick up long term injuries
He will not be the only manager in this league juggling recruitment balls hoping his targets sign on the dotted line

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I respectfully disagree.

Jephcott was going like a steam train until we signed Ennis.

Then Lowe made himself a problem because Ennis is technically better than the two strikers he had. However the fact is the team did not score as many goals as with the poacher and the whippet.

It was a tough decision but he went with his best striker Ennis more often than not. Lowe then rotated on the odd occasion but going back to Jephcott and Hardie didn't work by then as their rhythm seemed interrupted. Jephcott went from scoring every other game to not even having a chance for 5 games at a time.

By that time we had defensive issues, G. Cooper was out injured, the CBs were booting long aimless balls up the pitch and Hardie couldn't do anything with them. At the back we were seeing shocking lapses in concentration. Mayor was out of form and then Camara seemed to lose his mojo.

Perhaps you are right and everyone just needed a rest. But I don't think professional players run out of steam in January, which is round about when we seemed to lose form and consistency.

The very subtle decision to introduce Ennis seemed to knock Jephcott out of his stride, and the experiment with tactics behind the scenes to adapt to Ennis's hold up play seemed to also affect the form of Hardie, Mayor, Camara and the back 3. We didn't seem the same team after January to the confident one before it.

Otherwise known as 'Faustino Asprilla syndrome' :D

(for what it's worth, I also rate Ennis highly and he'll be better for Argyle than Asprilla was for Newcastle)

Mar 16, 2009
London
Point is why has the panning been so bad? There really is no excuse for leaving it so late into the transfer window. You can’t just blame targets turning us down.

if you inflexibly insist on 2 upfront with no meticulously prepped plan B - three strikers is simply not enough. Now that’s down to 2.

We have a matter of days - after that it’s down to the list out of contract players - but if there’s anyone from that list who are appropriate why are waiting?

January is clearly not an option. We’re already dropping points by not having genuine options (Cambridge match),

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Point is why has the panning been so bad? There really is no excuse for leaving it so late into the transfer window. You can’t just blame targets turning us down.

if you inflexibly insist on 2 upfront with no meticulously prepped plan B - three strikers is simply not enough. Now that’s down to 2.

We have a matter of days - after that it’s down to the list out of contract players - but if there’s anyone from that list who are appropriate why are waiting?

January is clearly not an option. We’re already dropping points by not having genuine options (Cambridge match),
On the other hand waiting can be advantageous to RL. He might well have expressed an interest in a player either through his agent or his club. That player may well be holding out for what he may consider to be a better offer or playing for a club nearer home. If that is not forthcoming he will be glad to come to Argyle for the wages he was offered in the first place or alternatively end up unattached. There are 2 ways of looking at this situation. I just hope it works for RL.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Footballers like to play football and that means being on the pitch at the start of games rather than being on the bench for most of it.
If you were a striker looking to move, you wouldn't be hopeful of starting many games at the moment.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's certainly been an odd transfer window, all along we had just 3 strikers until Garrick signed although he's not an out-and-out striker.

It started so well with four centre-backs, a midfielder and a keeper signed up before the end of June, three players were signed in two days.
And then the #incoming fell silent for a month until Galloway signed (who was already here as a trialist) and then just before the end of July Broom arrived on loan and then last week Garrick signed as well.

It does look like all the careful planning went into a new defence, which was definitely needed, and once last season finished the deals were ready to go.
Except the other end of the pitch is now a problem in terms of striking depth. Are we the only League One team not to sign a striker this summer?

As the closure of the transfer window approaches the minds of players and agents will start to focus and they will finally make up their mind and hopefully Lowe can bring in a striker.

Jan 27, 2012
It would be interesting to see what Mayor could do as a striker. Just as an experiment.
Defenders hate tackling him. I think he could win penalties.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
It would be interesting to see what Mayor could do as a striker. Just as an experiment.
Defenders hate tackling him. I think he could win penalties.
Mayor hasn’t got the predatory instincts of decent striker imo.. just can’t see him as a striker myself. Perhaps a wide role as part of a 3 man attack but not as main striker up the middle for me.