Final day: what we need to do | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Final day: what we need to do

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Isn’t this moot until after the Hull Ipswich game? Hull might still have a vested interest in the game but it could be a heck of a lot harder/easier after tonight. That harder/easier might make them as nervous as we will be.

Sep 3, 2011
I don’t know what I’d prefer, but I think a team playing its last game of the season with nothing to play for is more dangerous. They’re putting in one last good show for the fans and for contracts etc, whereas the side in the play-offs is saving their energy.

Again the similarities with 2019 are eerie, with Norwich playing the Sunderland role.
One major difference is Argyle don't go into the last game in a relegation place. Repeat of the last game 5 years ago and its all good

Reactions: Biggs

Mpt

Aug 6, 2016
I wonder if there is a clause in Mumbas transfer around us remaining in the Championship……

Leo's Grandad

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
It's real squeaky bum time. Knowing Argyle, we won't do things the easy way and they will take us one final rollercoaster afternoon. Time for the Green Army to really play the match of their lives from 1st to 95th minute.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Score a fudgeing goal would be a start

Aug 10, 2006
This season was always going to live or die by our home form. One last chance on our own patch to get it done. We have to set out with a positive mindset and pray that Norwich do the business as well.
And all the catering manager and chairman had to do was bring in an experienced manager and our home form would have continued, we would now be sitting comfortably in mid table.

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
In my opinion the only chance we have of staying up is if Brum slip up.

I think we are incapable of getting a result ourselves. In fact I think we will get hammered by Hull.

I'm sorry but this is all on the appointment of Foster and the reluctance to spend money to appoint a permanent proper manager

Sep 7, 2006
In my opinion the only chance we have of staying up is if Brum slip up.

I think we are incapable of getting a result ourselves. In fact I think we will get hammered by Hull.

I'm sorry but this is all on the appointment of Foster and the reluctance to spend money to appoint a permanent proper manager
No, this is all on Schumacher jumping ship at the worst possible time and taking staff and players with him.

Jul 6, 2005
To be honest it's good we have to go for a win, to be honest today's selection was so negative and it was obvious we went for draw or smash and grab. We should have gone with pace against Millwall, Freddie I, Whittaker and Bundu up front, with devine in midfield instead of playing both Randel and Edwards.
Yes sure, some kid who's played about 3 games was going to win it for us, supplied by another kid from a relegated League 1 club who managed the grand total of 1 assist in 20 League games for Port Vale.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Our main hope for survival is the failure of others.

Today's result, whilst bitterly dissapointing yet again, doesn't change things too much for next weekend. Even if we had held on for a draw, we would still need Norwich to do us a massive favour next week. I may be alone in thinking this, but I hope that Hull still have a mathematical chance of catching Norwich, so they will have to win at Birmingham to make sure.

Norwich winning next week is our best chance of staying up. If Hull come down here after back to back wins against Coventry and Ipswich, they will really fancy their chance of another win and they will probably get it, so we really need Norwich to help us by at least not losing.

When we were rolling over with barely a whimper against the the likes of Leeds, WBA and Ipswich, well-meaning but naive Argyle fans said don't worry, we'll get the points we need against Stoke, QPR, Millwall, Blackburn, Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday.

How did that work out for us? Just a narrow win against Rotherham, arguably the worst team in Championship history and a grand total of 5 points from a possible 18.

If we are relegated, we will look back at loads of "if only" moments, as do all relegated teams. But as I far as I am concerned, the responsibility will be very squarely on the shoulders of Dewsnip and his appointment of Ian Foster.

I doubt there was hardly a single person in Plymouth who had even heard the name Ian Foster until he appeared on the shortlist back in January.

By his own admission, Hallett doesn't know much about football. As such, he puts all of his trust in Dewsnip. So whilst ultimately it was Hallett who signed off on the appointment of Foster, he wouldn't have done so without the strong endorsement of Dewsnip.

Dewsnip obviously knew Foster through his Coaching links at the FA and he decided that a 47-year old Youth Team Coach was the man that Argyle needed, even though there was absolutely nothing on his CV to suggest he would be a decent Championship Manager. And this at a Club that is always banging on about their supposedly effective use of data analysis and extensive background research.

It was ominous that Dewsnip was at pains to stress the new man  would be the Head Coach, not the Manager, thus permitting him to maintain his hands-on role with the 1st team, something a more experienced Manager wouldn't accept.

Whatever Division we are in next season, I hope that Dewsnip will have left the club. Perhaps he'll kiss and make up with Schumacher and join him at Stoke.

We need to push the reset button.