F1 2024 | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

F1 2024

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Very jealous - I've only ever driven it virtually! I have seen BTCC there though.

I've always thought that Paddock Hill bend is the best first corner on any race track anywhere.
In 2005 I took the family to Brands Hatch to see the inaugural A1 Grand Prix (remember that?), won by Nelson Piquet Jr.

When I got there I just could not believe how narrow the racing track was in real life. Before the main event there was an exhibition race with older F1 cars and they were absolutely tiny, like little Scalextric cars whizzing around this thin ribbon of tarmac. Back when they were racing for real I only ever saw them on telly, so it was a real shock.

Here's a 1980 Lotus, which is the kind of car that was on display that day. Looks like a Dinky Toy compared to the beasts of latter years. (And note where the driver's feet were. Think Johnny Herbert...)

Lotus81B-4-small.jpg

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Here's a 1980 Lotus, which is the kind of car that was on display that day. Looks like a Dinky Toy compared to the beasts of latter years. (And note where the driver's feet were. Think Johnny Herbert...)

Patrick Tambay springs to mind too. I recall both he and team-mate Derek Warwick (both driving for Renault) crashed out on the first lap of the '84 Monaco GP: both suffered leg injuries, but Tambay came off worst as his suspension came in through the monocoque and broke his leg.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Patrick Tambay springs to mind too. I recall both he and team-mate Derek Warwick (both driving for Renault) crashed out on the first lap of the '84 Monaco GP: both suffered leg injuries, but Tambay came off worst as his suspension came in through the monocoque and broke his leg.
Poor Johnny suffered even worse, though. I'm sure there are videos on YouTube but I don't really want to look for them or link to them because the sight of his exposed, shattered legs and feet flopping around out of the front of his wrecked car is pretty grim.

Last edited:

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
Very jealous - I've only ever driven it virtually! I have seen BTCC there though.

I've always thought that Paddock Hill bend is the best first corner on any race track anywhere.
It was one of those “race days” back in the mid 90s, I think it was a Formula 3 car, 1600 cc for sure. We were shown “how to drive it” after we had done a few laps, we were driven in a stock 3 series BMW, I nearly crapped myself undercutting another car on Graham Hill bend, the way those driver know the limits of the cars is amazing, bear in mind I drove a one litre y reg fiesta at the time, so even the beemer was a huge step up, it had ABS 😂.

you’re right though, start/finish straight then Paddock into Druids is a great little stretch.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat
Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Another 1-2 in qualifying for red bull. Congratulations to red bull for making by far the best car this year but its very quickly mkaing F1 boring now. Just limited competition. Will watch the start of the grand Prix but then turn it off.

Sep 13, 2003
I'm loving Alonso's passion for F1, I will set the alarm mainly for him...I like his aggressive defending as well.
Lando Norris just lets cars overtake him without an ounce of defence...also the sprint race yet again showed me he is not Championship material yet. He just makes too many mistakes at crucial moments.

Reactions: Jon with no H
Sep 13, 2003
In 2005 I took the family to Brands Hatch to see the inaugural A1 Grand Prix (remember that?), won by Nelson Piquet Jr.

When I got there I just could not believe how narrow the racing track was in real life. Before the main event there was an exhibition race with older F1 cars and they were absolutely tiny, like little Scalextric cars whizzing around this thin ribbon of tarmac. Back when they were racing for real I only ever saw them on telly, so it was a real shock.

View attachment 14723
Great post !
I remember A1 GP. Equal machinery but piloted by third rate taxi drivers. The races were quite entertaining though as there were loads of mistakes and crashes. Better than the dull Electric series currently!

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I'm loving Alonso's passion for F1, I will set the alarm mainly for him...I like his aggressive defending as well.
Lando Norris just lets cars overtake him without an ounce of defence...also the sprint race yet again showed me he is not Championship material yet. He just makes too many mistakes at crucial moments.

I guess there is skill and judgement in being overtaken while minimising race time, there's not a lot to be gained by holding someone up in much faster machinery if it compromises your race. But I agree with you, he does seem error-prone when he's in a good position.

I think he'll get there eventually though, he does seem like he could well be the real deal.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I wonder what impact Newey leaving Red Bull will have if these rumours are true?
Which team would you like him to go to? Personally I'd like him to retire and level up the playing field.