F1 2024 | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

F1 2024

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Really interested to see how Ollie Bearman gets on this weekend, must be a chance he races in Australia in 2 weeks time too. Shocking for his F2 title chances but what an opportunity for his future career!

Did a great job by the look of it (didn't get to watch the race).

What a call to receive! And well done Ferrari for having the guts to throw an 18-year-old in at the deep end.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Two places ahead of Hamilton!
Yes, and one of four Brits in a row (6th to 9th) which made it the first time since the 60s that four Brits had finished in the top ten, we heard.

I think they said "finished in the points" on Sky but if memory serves, until the big change in the points system (15 - 20-ish years ago?) only the top six finishers were awarded points. Or is my memory not serving me well?

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Yes, and one of four Brits in a row (6th to 9th) which made it the first time since the 60s that four Brits had finished in the top ten, we heard.

I think they said "finished in the points" on Sky but if memory serves, until the big change in the points system (15 - 20-ish years ago?) only the top six finishers were awarded points. Or is my memory not serving me well?

You're right - points were awarded only top six for a long time, and then top eight for a while.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
When I started watching F1 only a driver's best 11 finishes counted towards the title.
At the risk of turning this into a version the 'competitive Yorkshiremen' Python sketch, when I started following F1 (mid to late 60s) I'm not sure there were even 11 races in the season. If there were a few more, I don't think it was as many as the best 11 results that were counted.

I do seem to remember that 'best of' scoring being quite a factor some seasons - hardly surprising, really.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
My interest began in 87 when I was 14. It was only the British GP that was shown live and in its entirety. Mansell had to change tyres which put him 30s behind. Murray Walker was so excited about Mansell closing the gap and eventually took the win, I was fascinated. However, it wasn’t until the early 90’s when the coverage became accessible that I became devoted, and have seen every race since.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
When videos started appearing my best friend would get the official F1 review videos for his birthday, so we'd watch those again and again for the races we couldn't watch on the tele. Clive James did the voice-over for a few of the seasons in the 80s which were absolutely brilliant. He's still got them on his shelf, but you can see all the old races on YouTube now.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
When videos started appearing my best friend would get the official F1 review videos for his birthday, so we'd watch those again and again for the races we couldn't watch on the tele. Clive James did the voice-over for a few of the seasons in the 80s which were absolutely brilliant. He's still got them on his shelf, but you can see all the old races on YouTube now.

I had an F1 TV subscription for a while, and they've got a brilliant archive of old race videos on there. It's not cheap but during lockdown I used to pick a random race from the 1990s and immerse myself in it.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Anyone seen this advert with Valtteri Bottas? Tell you what, he could have a career as a comic actor after this. Brilliant :ROFLMAO:

That is frackin fantastic! Good on yer, Valts, mate! Throw some prawns on the barbie and I'll bring the tinnies.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth