Exciting Times | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exciting Times

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Argyleloyal87":1pgf6qko said:
rsp4":1pgf6qko said:
Argyleloyal87":1pgf6qko said:
GreenGoblin":1pgf6qko said:
This is the first pre-season in I dont know how long that we are spending a bit of cash and not gambling on decent players that have had bad injuries or players with character issues.

How much have we spent so far?

It is a great time to be a member of the Green Army! Yes we were cowed after last season but something is happening at Home Park....Maybe the Green Giant that Ken Brown mentioned all those many years ago is waking up???

If the figure for Telford is true then weā€™ve spent, Ā£50k

Chairman is in the press saying we have paid compensation for a lot of the Bury players. If true we will never know the figure.

Now where is my Bury Argyle half n half gone :funny:

Lowe is saying weā€™ve only paid for Telford and the only thing I can find Simon saying about paying compensation is about paying good money to get them here and I take that has heā€™s talking about Lowe and the backroom staff heā€™s brought down.

Yeah but we paid a significant sum to get Lowe here.

May 1, 2011
Kentishgreen":1st4c2kw said:
I think some people need to take a reality check on what constitutes a successful season. Look at the history books. Look at GOS. They are as rare as hens teeth. Iā€™ve been following Argyle since the late 1960ā€™s. Iā€™ve only seen them at Wembley twice. So getting to Wembley and not winning does not constitute a successful season. Really? OK disappointing but really.....

Not in the basement league when you blew automatic promotion in the same season and then you lose at Wembley with a really poor performance.

Jan 27, 2012
Genuine question: If the Bury staff and players are not being paid then why do Argyle have to pay fees for them ? Surely Bury are in breach of contract and the management team and players can move on free transfers.

Mar 16, 2009
London
rsp4":wkf6mjpp said:
edmonds200":wkf6mjpp said:
Take away last 7-8 games where troublemakers made life hard we were on the right track.

:funny: :funny:

Apart from 2 X seasons of disaterous starts and the above statement then I can agree.

Really hope you don't believe your own writing. :shock:

Fact. We are back where DA started with a poorer squad than he inherited.

Hypothetical, and definitely not fact.

Ladapo, Carey and Lameiras are way above anything Sheridan left. But itā€™s hypothetical, because we have no idea who Adams would have recruited and who would have stayed.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Justin":1ebh4f2v said:
rsp4":1ebh4f2v said:
edmonds200":1ebh4f2v said:
Take away last 7-8 games where troublemakers made life hard we were on the right track.

Apart from 2 X seasons of disaterous starts and the above statement then I can agree.

Ladapo, Carey and Lameiras are way above anything Sheridan left. But itā€™s hypothetical, because we have no idea who Adams would have recruited and who would have stayed.

Except Sheridan left our best players under contract. Adams did not.

Ladapo was getting sold regardless of the manager, Lameiras was never staying in League Two. Carey the only one that may have remained had Adams have stayed.

So whilst a footballers ability is somewhat subjective, Iā€™d say itā€™s a fair conclusion that Lowe has inherited a worse squad than Adams did.

May 1, 2011
Nobby":1bxey30j said:
Justin":1bxey30j said:
rsp4":1bxey30j said:
edmonds200":1bxey30j said:

Ladapo was getting sold regardless of the manager, Lameiras was never staying in League Two. Carey the only one that may have remained had Adams have stayed.

So whilst a footballers ability is somewhat subjective, Iā€™d say itā€™s a fair conclusion that Lowe has inherited a worse squad than Adams did.

Spot on. A well balanced post.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Nobby":20r1mjm0 said:
Justin":20r1mjm0 said:
rsp4":20r1mjm0 said:
edmonds200":20r1mjm0 said:

Different philosophies is all.
I get that it's fashionable to knock everything about Adams at the moment, but history will show him favourably.

The health status of the club is leaps and bounds ahead of where we were when Adams came in, and he is largely responsible for this.

Crowds increased year on year. We were good enough to finish 7th in year 1 back in League 1, on a pitiful budget. Despite having to devise ingenious methods to utilise the pitiful budget (yearly contracts), he still attracted genuine quality, some of which (Ladapo) we are now benefiting from financially, to make the next step in our evolution a hell of a lot easier.

Also, he transformed the youth and reserve elements of the club. The wealth of promise now emerging through his revised set-up is no coincidence, and again puts us in a much healthier state than we've been for possibly 20 years.

The cog in the wheel was relegation, but with the comparative riches now available, a half decent manager should be capable of pushing us to, at the very least, the cusp of the League 1 play off places within 2 or 3 years.

After all, this is what Adams managed, with a quarter of the resources.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
Justin":vg6gff8v said:
Nobby":vg6gff8v said:
Justin":vg6gff8v said:
rsp4":vg6gff8v said:
edmonds200":vg6gff8v said:

I get that it's fashionable to knock everything about Adams at the moment, but history will show him favourably.

The health status of the club is leaps and bounds ahead of where we were when Adams came in, and he is largely responsible for this.

Crowds increased year on year. We were good enough to finish 7th in year 1 back in League 1, on a pitiful budget. Despite having to devise ingenious methods to utilise the pitiful budget (yearly contracts), he still attracted genuine quality, some of which (Ladapo) we are now benefiting from financially, to make the next step in our evolution a hell of a lot easier.

Also, he transformed the youth and reserve elements of the club. The wealth of promise now emerging through his revised set-up is no coincidence, and again puts us in a much healthier state than we've been for possibly 20 years.

The cog in the wheel was relegation, but with the comparative riches now available, a half decent manager should be capable of pushing us to, at the very least, the cusp of the League 1 play off places within 2 or 3 years.

Youā€™re spot on with this.

Almost everything around the club is leaps and bounds ahead of what Adams inherited - apart from the first team, which is weaker in my opinion. If Lowe can get something out of them/blood some youngsters we could be in a very good spot. It would be nice to get some good fees and add-ons for some of our talent for once so that we benefit now and in the future.

May 1, 2011
Justin":mcy6ae75 said:
Nobby":mcy6ae75 said:
Justin":mcy6ae75 said:
rsp4":mcy6ae75 said:
edmonds200":mcy6ae75 said:

This from the poster who assured us several times last season there was no chance of us being relegated.

You just make up figures at will to support your argument. Where is your source for the statement 'a quarter of the resources?' Do you read it on a side of a bus?

I'm an Adam's critic but even he was honest enough to admit he had a competitive budget last year. He certainly didn't have a bottom 4 budget. If we aren't bottom at Christmas that will certainly make a welcome change.

Lowe has a lot of work clearing up the mess he has inherited. Yet if he has a good first season no doubt that will all be down to Derek Adams! If he doesn't do so well it allows you to keep pointlessly banging the Adam's drum.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Bristol Rich":1el96nau said:
Justin":1el96nau said:
Nobby":1el96nau said:
Justin":1el96nau said:
rsp4":1el96nau said:
edmonds200":1el96nau said:

This from the poster who assured us several times last season there was no chance of us being relegated.

You just make up figures at will to support your argument. Where is your source for the statement 'a quarter of the resources?' Do you read it on a side of a bus?

I'm an Adam's critic but even he was honest enough to admit he had a competitive budget last year. He certainly didn't have a bottom 4 budget. If we aren't bottom at Christmas that will certainly make a welcome change.

Lowe has a lot of work clearing up the mess he has inherited. Yet if he has a good first season no doubt that will all be down to Derek Adams! If he doesn't do so well it allows you to keep pointlessly banging the Adam's drum.

Yawn. Your usual trolling of my posts Rich.

It would be flattering, if it was even slightly accurate.

I never assured anyone of anything, and Iā€™m too positive in my mindset to have got involved in discussions about relegation.

Jul 12, 2016
Bristol Rich, just ignore him .He seems to know as much about football as I do about brain surgery.

Mar 16, 2009
London
oldage":2rj1iqa7 said:
Bristol Rich, just ignore him .He seems to know as much about football as I do about brain surgery.

A well thought out and reasoned insult Oldage. Impressive.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Justin":1cpfb1k1 said:
Nobby":1cpfb1k1 said:
Justin":1cpfb1k1 said:
rsp4":1cpfb1k1 said:
edmonds200":1cpfb1k1 said:

I agree with most of this, apart from the last paragraph.

I have disagreed with a lot of Justinā€™s opinions, particularly with his opinion about Matt Macey.
However, there is no doubt in my mind that DA made the CLUB more efficient than when he arrived.
Unfortunately, when it became apparent that he had lost the dressing room after making too many poor signings in the previous summer, the Board had no alternative than to terminate his employment.

Dorset Green

āœ… Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Derek Adams made a lot of mistakes last season from start to finish and certainly deserved to lose his job. However his overall win percentage as Argyle's manager was good..

I didn't take to Derek Adams public persona or his style of play and I think that is pretty common amongst Argyle fans. I have much more enthusiasm about Ryan Lowe. His passion for the game is more visible, he has established a reputation for attacking football and there is a perception that he's likely to be more "fan-friendly".

None of this guarantees he'll be more successful than Derek Adams, but you feel that he might just deliver something much more exciting to watch.