Exciting Times | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exciting Times

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
PlymOdi":31d5pdqf said:
Steve.PAFC2012":31d5pdqf said:
It's a shame some 'fans' are coming across as wanting Lowe to fail purely because they can't move on from the old manager. (Who did fail massively last season)

Agreed. Seem to be almost hopeful RL doesn't succeed. Strange choice for Argyle fans.

Not at all just trying to temper expectations which seem way to high - everyone is expecting us to play like barcelona and walk to promotion - if we are bottom half after 10 games rumblings will start and I dont want the same thing to happen to RL that happened to DA. Successful clubs and businesses build them around stability and team managers are a central part of that - we have made the decision and need to honour the contract unlike what we did with Derek. Last summer he was very loyal to us when he could have gone to numerous clubs after 3 hugely successful seasons. I wonder if RL will do the same if we are top by christmas and a big Northern Club comes calling? Time will tell

Mar 14, 2009
edmonds200":1n1nvwai said:
PlymOdi":1n1nvwai said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1n1nvwai said:
It's a shame some 'fans' are coming across as wanting Lowe to fail purely because they can't move on from the old manager. (Who did fail massively last season)

Agreed. Seem to be almost hopeful RL doesn't succeed. Strange choice for Argyle fans.

Not at all just trying to temper expectations which seem way to high - everyone is expecting us to play like barcelona and walk to promotion - if we are bottom half after 10 games rumblings will start and I dont want the same thing to happen to RL that happened to DA. Successful clubs and businesses build them around stability and team managers are a central part of that - we have made the decision and need to honour the contract unlike what we did with Derek. Last summer he was very loyal to us when he could have gone to numerous clubs after 3 hugely successful seasons. I wonder if RL will do the same if we are top by christmas and a big Northern Club comes calling? Time will tell

What after four years in charge DA took us back to league two.

The reason people got fed up with DA is the style of play and because of two tremendously poor starts over the last two seasons.

Its OK to be critical (as long as the new manager gets at least 18 months to implement his plans) , especially after Adams had four seasons at a club and we went backwards seriously quickly.

He was a decent league two manager, but in league one apart a 4 month period, he was very poor league one manager.

Apr 5, 2008
edmonds200":145jnwa4 said:
PlymOdi":145jnwa4 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":145jnwa4 said:

he had a couple of decent runs in league one,but blew the chance of making the play offs when we were in prime position,then went on a dreadful run of form,hence why we were relegated

So you think Lowe might be gone in 3 months if we are top? ludicrous comment,

Time will tell you were talking rubbish!

Sep 6, 2006
edmonds200":3qzo1zoa said:
PlymOdi":3qzo1zoa said:
Steve.PAFC2012":3qzo1zoa said:

Losing to Wimbledon in the play offs is not a 'hugely successful season' neither is finishing 7th in the 3rd Division

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
Balham_Green":u5kja2tu said:
edmonds200":u5kja2tu said:
PlymOdi":u5kja2tu said:
Steve.PAFC2012":u5kja2tu said:

Losing to Wimbledon in the play offs is not a 'hugely successful season' neither is finishing 7th in the 3rd Division

Beating Pompey over 2 legs was hugely successful - and finishing 7th with the 16th highest budget is too. If RL gets to a play off final this season will you call it a failure?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It depends on the football as well as the results. If we fail to go up, but we have a season in which the football is positive and laying a blueprint for the future, and young players are being given a chance etc, then I’ll be ok with that. Under Adams, results were everything, and that’s because the football was largely turgid even during our promotion season, I’m not saying he didn’t do a good job in getting us promoted, but promotion was everything because of the unattractive football, whereas under Lowe, I’m hoping for some exciting, positive play mixed with good results.

Sep 6, 2006
edmonds200":1jnclx1l said:
Balham_Green":1jnclx1l said:
edmonds200":1jnclx1l said:
PlymOdi":1jnclx1l said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1jnclx1l said:

Beating Pompey over 2 legs was hugely successful - and finishing 7th with the 16th highest budget is too. If RL gets to a play off final this season will you call it a failure?

No. And I wont call it hugely successful either!!

May 1, 2011
HC Green":3iwr5q65 said:
Balham_Green":3iwr5q65 said:
Balham_Green":3iwr5q65 said:
GreenGoblin":3iwr5q65 said:
This is the first pre-season in I dont know how long that we are spending a bit of cash and not gambling on decent players that have had bad injuries or players with character issues.

How much have we spent so far?

It is a great time to be a member of the Green Army! Yes we were cowed after last season but something is happening at Home Park....Maybe the Green Giant that Ken Brown mentioned all those many years ago is waking up???

Except we signed Aimson who is still suffering from an injury from last season.
We just signed McFadzean who has been in a spot of bother with the law in the past.
On Saturday we had 6 players sit out with knocks and today Mayor is walking round with his ankle strapped up.
There doesn’t seem much difference from previous close seasons apart from the lack of criticism or comment.

Such a contrast to all your pro Adams posts isnt it? You couldnt have been more wrong! You must get over him now..

Perhaps you can tell me which part of my post was factually incorrect?

And which part of my post is? I see loads of clubs queueing up to employ relegation king Adams :lol:

He has had some Clubs contact him but has said no thank you as he isn’t looking for work at the moment. He expects to start looking seriously later in the autumn when the sackings start again.

Another well thought out impartial post.

No one could excuse you of being obsessed with Derek Adams.

May 1, 2011
edmonds200":2y4p56jz said:
Balham_Green":2y4p56jz said:
Balham_Green":2y4p56jz said:
[*]
Yes a play off, promotion, 7th in league 1, carey, lameiras, sonny, foxy, matty kennedy, Jake, Oscar - they were terrible times!!!!

And back exactly where he started. Guess you didnt get to see many away games and are easily excited if you still are piping on about losing to the Wombles in a play off final.

Yeah I saw the 2 away games against Pompey in first season, Exeter away (reubens debut) Accie away 1-0 win , Liverpool away, Wimbledon away (DAs first game), Luton away 2-1 win Brunt last min - Great times all of them.

So you saw 7 away games in 4 years? Hardly representative is it?

I saw a lot more than that - you are deluded if you think RL will do anywhere near as well as DA. Take away last 7-8 games where troublemakers made life hard we were on the right track.

For the 2nd year in a row we were bottom of the league at Christmas.
For the 2nd year in a row we had a shocking start to the 1st third of a season.
The troublemakers you refer to were all Adam's signed players, The players downed tools due to the toxic atmosphere at the club which stemmed down from the managers office.
It is a fact that after 4 years under Adams we are exactly where we started, so really Lowe isn't under much pressure to do better that :thumbup:

Jul 12, 2016
edmonds200":2412bcwn said:
PlymOdi":2412bcwn said:
Steve.PAFC2012":2412bcwn said:

"....He could have gone to numerous clubs after 3 hugely successful seasons" Says who? First I've heard of it.
Can"t see any clubs queuing up to offer him a job.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":3uay562z said:
edmonds200":3uay562z said:
Balham_Green":3uay562z said:
edmonds200":3uay562z said:
PlymOdi":3uay562z said:
Steve.PAFC2012":3uay562z said:

No. And I wont call it hugely successful either!!

But do you think that under RL the team might turn up and perform, giving it their all and putting on a show for the huge Green Army support?
My gripe against Dadams is that he got teams to the jumping point before advising that their parachutes may not have been packed properly and he had been too busy to check them!! :facepalm:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Think our previous manager "lost his way" a little at the end of his tenure.

What was it he said? We had 3 years of "over success" - which isn't even a phrase is it? :think:

As mentioned elsewhere, expect slow start to season.

Oct 31, 2015
edmonds200":2heo7h6v said:
Take away last 7-8 games where troublemakers made life hard we were on the right track.

:funny: :funny:

Apart from 2 X seasons of disaterous starts and the above statement then I can agree.

Really hope you don't believe your own writing. :shock:

Fact. We are back where DA started with a poorer squad than he inherited.

Aug 5, 2015
I think some people need to take a reality check on what constitutes a successful season. Look at the history books. Look at GOS. They are as rare as hens teeth. I’ve been following Argyle since the late 1960’s. I’ve only seen them at Wembley twice. So getting to Wembley and not winning does not constitute a successful season. Really? OK disappointing but really.....

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
rsp4":1wlf16dr said:
Argyleloyal87":1wlf16dr said:
GreenGoblin":1wlf16dr said:
This is the first pre-season in I dont know how long that we are spending a bit of cash and not gambling on decent players that have had bad injuries or players with character issues.

How much have we spent so far?

It is a great time to be a member of the Green Army! Yes we were cowed after last season but something is happening at Home Park....Maybe the Green Giant that Ken Brown mentioned all those many years ago is waking up???

If the figure for Telford is true then we’ve spent, £50k

Chairman is in the press saying we have paid compensation for a lot of the Bury players. If true we will never know the figure.

Now where is my Bury Argyle half n half gone :funny:

Lowe is saying we’ve only paid for Telford and the only thing I can find Simon saying about paying compensation is about paying good money to get them here and I take that has he’s talking about Lowe and the backroom staff he’s brought down.