Exciting Times | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Exciting Times

May 8, 2011
edmonds200":3g01qqvl said:
Keyham Pilgrim":3g01qqvl said:
Hopefully we will get promotion this year but as long as we are playing entertaining football and at least challenging then I don't think it would be a failure not to go up. The development of the Grandstand wont kick in really till next season so the budget should increase even more then. Plus RL well be able to move some players on who he inherited and some of our young professionals well be older and more experienced.

It took DA two seasons to get out of this league so I cant see why RL need to do it in one. Let's get behind the new manager and hopefully enjoy the ride.

DA had half the budget - anything other than promotion will be failure

and League 2 is a lot weaker than in 2015 and 2016, we won’t be competing with teams like Portsmouth, Luton, Doncaster, Bristol Rovers or Blackpool for promotion.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
It's disappointing to see people so resentful of a manager sacking and unable to move on, the club should always come above any individual regardless of their success or failings.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
HC Green":1t8p07ld said:
edmonds200":1t8p07ld said:
Keyham Pilgrim":1t8p07ld said:
Hopefully we will get promotion this year but as long as we are playing entertaining football and at least challenging then I don't think it would be a failure not to go up. The development of the Grandstand wont kick in really till next season so the budget should increase even more then. Plus RL well be able to move some players on who he inherited and some of our young professionals well be older and more experienced.

It took DA two seasons to get out of this league so I cant see why RL need to do it in one. Let's get behind the new manager and hopefully enjoy the ride.

and League 2 is a lot weaker than in 2015 and 2016, we won’t be competing with teams like Portsmouth, Luton, Doncaster, Bristol Rovers or Blackpool for promotion.

So what was relegation from division 3 then? Was that a success in V Neck fantasy world? Fnar Fnar.
Don't worry, Adams will be fine for a good long while on his failure pay off.
You're so right though. There won't be giants like big money Accrington and Wycombe or A. F. C frigging Wimbledon to try to stay above :lol:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
HC Green":2e3sto3f said:
edmonds200":2e3sto3f said:
Keyham Pilgrim":2e3sto3f said:

Very true, there were some big clubs there the season we finished 2nd. I would imagine the budget this season will be better than it was in 2016/2017 too and anything less than top 3 will be disappointing.

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":23fvk5f8 said:
Balham_Green":23fvk5f8 said:
Balham_Green":23fvk5f8 said:
GreenGoblin":23fvk5f8 said:
This is the first pre-season in I dont know how long that we are spending a bit of cash and not gambling on decent players that have had bad injuries or players with character issues.

How much have we spent so far?

It is a great time to be a member of the Green Army! Yes we were cowed after last season but something is happening at Home Park....Maybe the Green Giant that Ken Brown mentioned all those many years ago is waking up???

Except we signed Aimson who is still suffering from an injury from last season.
We just signed McFadzean who has been in a spot of bother with the law in the past.
On Saturday we had 6 players sit out with knocks and today Mayor is walking round with his ankle strapped up.
There doesn’t seem much difference from previous close seasons apart from the lack of criticism or comment.

Such a contrast to all your pro Adams posts isnt it? You couldnt have been more wrong! You must get over him now..

Perhaps you can tell me which part of my post was factually incorrect?

And which part of my post is? I see loads of clubs queueing up to employ relegation king Adams :lol:

He has had some Clubs contact him but has said no thank you as he isn’t looking for work at the moment. He expects to start looking seriously later in the autumn when the sackings start again.

Yeah right. Pub league reserves dont count. Im sure teams are queueing up for a manager who just got relegated with players as good as Carey & Lameiras

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":a87gh0or said:
edmonds200":a87gh0or said:
Keyham Pilgrim":a87gh0or said:

Bradford bigger than all those apart from Pompey

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
edmonds200":dhmaal9y said:
Balham_Green":dhmaal9y said:
Balham_Green":dhmaal9y said:
[*]
Yes a play off, promotion, 7th in league 1, carey, lameiras, sonny, foxy, matty kennedy, Jake, Oscar - they were terrible times!!!!

And back exactly where he started. Guess you didnt get to see many away games and are easily excited if you still are piping on about losing to the Wombles in a play off final.

Yeah I saw the 2 away games against Pompey in first season, Exeter away (reubens debut) Accie away 1-0 win , Liverpool away, Wimbledon away (DAs first game), Luton away 2-1 win Brunt last min - Great times all of them.

So you saw 7 away games in 4 years? Hardly representative is it?

I saw a lot more than that - you are deluded if you think RL will do anywhere near as well as DA. Take away last 7-8 games where troublemakers made life hard we were on the right track.

(Your religious leader of choice) on a bike!!

Do you really believe that?? Honestly?

I know that this is an opinions board and everyone is allowed a little indulgence and differences in how they see the past, present and future.

But reading that is like meeting an alien life form off a craft that has just landed in my back garden! It is just so far off what I actually saw (I think? :crazy: ) happening at the end of last season.

Dadams was paid to get his happy troupe to win enough points to stay up. He failed, they failed (false Villanelle sadface :sad:)

You see a successful manager who was 'shot down in flames' by a phew old pharts like me on a hobby website? and some people who booed at his incompetence? ?

Really? :crazy:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Pogleswoody":258w6uup said:
edmonds200":258w6uup said:
Balham_Green":258w6uup said:
Balham_Green":258w6uup said:
[*]
Yes a play off, promotion, 7th in league 1, carey, lameiras, sonny, foxy, matty kennedy, Jake, Oscar - they were terrible times!!!!

And back exactly where he started. Guess you didnt get to see many away games and are easily excited if you still are piping on about losing to the Wombles in a play off final.

Yeah I saw the 2 away games against Pompey in first season, Exeter away (reubens debut) Accie away 1-0 win , Liverpool away, Wimbledon away (DAs first game), Luton away 2-1 win Brunt last min - Great times all of them.

So you saw 7 away games in 4 years? Hardly representative is it?

I saw a lot more than that - you are deluded if you think RL will do anywhere near as well as DA. Take away last 7-8 games where troublemakers made life hard we were on the right track.

(Your religious leader of choice) on a bike!!

Do you really believe that?? Honestly?

I know that this is an opinions board and everyone is allowed a little indulgence and differences in how they see the past, present and future.

But reading that is like meeting an alien life form off a craft that has just landed in my back garden! It is just so far off what I actually saw (I think? :crazy: ) happening at the end of last season.

Dadams was paid to get his happy troupe to win enough points to stay up. He failed, they failed (false Villanelle sadface :sad:)

You see a successful manager who was 'shot down in flames' by a phew old pharts like me on a hobby website? and some people who booed at his incompetence? ?

Really? :crazy:
I assumed that he was suggesting troublemakers in the dressing room.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
It's a shame some 'fans' are coming across as wanting Lowe to fail purely because they can't move on from the old manager. (Who did fail massively last season)

May 16, 2016
How come the ones making the most fuss about Adams going are the ones that wanted him gone in the first place ?

It's like watching your ex get married and your sooo not jealous.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
HC Green":2kqf5ors said:
GreenGoblin":2kqf5ors said:
This is the first pre-season in I dont know how long that we are spending a bit of cash and not gambling on decent players that have had bad injuries or players with character issues.

It is a great time to be a member of the Green Army! Yes we were cowed after last season but something is happening at Home Park....Maybe the Green Giant that Ken Brown mentioned all those many years ago is waking up???

We just signed McFadzean who has been in a spot of bother with the law in the past.
On Saturday we had 6 players sit out with knocks and today Mayor is walking round with his ankle strapped up.
There doesn’t seem much difference from previous close seasons apart from the lack of criticism or comment.

Really?

Anyone can see that the standard of signings made so far is much better than those of the last few years. We are signing proven players with recent success at this level, not only that, we’re beating other clubs to them, whereas in recent years we’ve been the last option or the only option for a number of rejects.

This is the most excited I’ve been about Argyle, not just in a long time, but ever.

Aug 22, 2006
Cobi Budge":1cx9kwzr said:
HC Green":1cx9kwzr said:
GreenGoblin":1cx9kwzr said:

Really?

Anyone can see that the standard of signings made so far is much better than those of the last few years. We are signing proven players with recent success at this level, not only that, we’re beating other clubs to them, whereas in recent years we’ve been the last option or the only option for a number of rejects.

This is the most excited I’ve been about Argyle, not just in a long time, but ever.

What you've said in bold is correct although an ex manager of the team we're getting the players from might be a factor don't you think? The bit about the standard of signings made is much better i'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion? On what basis? Lets take Adams' first season (I wasn't a massive fan of his by the way but acknowledge what he did especially in the early days) Jervis, Sawyer, Wylde, Carey. All players from a standard above us. Say what you like about the Scottish Premiership, it's better than league 2 level. Let's throw in the loanies, Boateng, Tanner and Threlkeld. Not bad eh. How are the players that have been brought in now a lot better? Mayor aside the others have given one solid season. Now one big difference is that most of Lowe's signings have just experienced promotion from league 2. That's great. Hopefully that's one step forward in terms of players already having the confidence and it's fresh in their minds. So that is something to be excited about. But we've brought in many players in the past that have experienced promotions whether it be the scottish 2nd tier, league 1, league 2. Also we are in a fortunate position where we can capitalise on a team's dire situation. So for me i'm fascinated to see what happens to this team and management as a unit when we are successful. How do we build and improve the squad? What other connections does Lowe and his team have whether it be in other leagues in England or abroad? How does he deal with players if they are homesick, what back up plans does he have, what about injuries, what about the loan market? What about fans expectations? My expectations are high just from the situation and what's been said by management. I've just stated that we will be successful... we NEED to be successful quickly. But I know how football works so actually going against what I've said i'd give him 2 seasons even though it should happen quicker. I'd be interested to see how everyone else sees it. This is just the start. I'm excited to get going only because it's a fascinating new test for us, with different people in charge, different personnel and different systems. The coaching team seem to be giving the place a new lease of life, attacking football on the cards with some extremely bold statements thrown in (taylor 20 goals, Mayor better than carey/lamieires etc.) The players brought in on the other hand, Mayor aside, aren't anything above what we've seen in the past. but because Lowe's worked with them in a promotion winning side that gives him "the edge" which in turn should help us. Lowe/Schumacher and co will be successful. Lets hope they build the foundations that's needed to challenge for league 1 promotion before they've left. That would be exciting and a great achievement.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
Derek Adams Win Percentage over 498 games - 42.4%
Ryan Lowe Win Percentage over 81 games - 41.98%

This coupled with the fact RL had a huge budget last year why are these exciting times! We haven't even kicked a ball yet

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Steve.PAFC2012":365optkm said:
It's a shame some 'fans' are coming across as wanting Lowe to fail purely because they can't move on from the old manager. (Who did fail massively last season)

Agreed. Seem to be almost hopeful RL doesn't succeed. Strange choice for Argyle fans.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
My perspective... happy so far with all recruits bar the wish to look further than Bury, and totally agree with Cobi that this is the most positive I've ever been about Argyle both on and off the pitch.

But... Danny Mayor is the only one I'd say is a truly exciting signing and subjectively a 'very good' signing. I would say all the others are OK and could turn out to be much better or worse than that. As it stands I'd say Adams' first transfer window is better than this one, but obviously that can change dramatically in the next few weeks.