Derek Adams. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams.

Yay or nay?

• I still want him gone.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Stay please Derek take us to the Championship.

Votes: 165 85.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 8, 2018
Saltash
Never wanted him gone. You don’t get play off final, promotion and 7th place in 3 seasons if you’re a bad manager. My only criticism is the complete destruction of the team year on year. Stop buying so many squad fillers, get more quality and try and keep the nucleus of the team together.

If only.........

Mar 23, 2008
Tugboat":35hdo26u said:
I need something in the middle.

Absolute out prior to Christmas but blown away again by the change of performances.

It’s all very marmite to me.
That's it! When he gets us going it's great but two inept starts to the season is not good enough.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Seems an invalid poll though, because all variables equal, there’s no likelihood of promotion.

League 1 survival, or twist and get someone like the cheeky boys from Lincoln, might be more like reality

I do like a lot the one year contract policy, but perhaps it requires a better scouting set up than Argyle have, if so little margin for error given squad size.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
I don’t rate the bloke think his stubbornness cost us dear the last 2 years. He stuck with under performing players until he was almost forced to change due to fan pressure when he finally did we then went on a run. I also think he’s lucky to have picked up a few good players but in doing so also brought in too much dross as well. Does nothing but slag off the budget, but from what I hear even when told if he needs a little extra ask & the board will look at it. Never asks then slates the budget again for not being able to bring in players.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Stay but you can't keep wasting half the season! People pay good money for season tickets and the first half of the season we were dire, can't keep doing that. He needs to keep us up then sort things out in the close season. Pre season was a mess, we need some decent pre season opposition and a couple of quality additions rather than wholesale changes.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Argyle Nutter":35p1c5rz said:
I don’t rate the bloke think his stubbornness cost us dear the last 2 years. He stuck with under performing players until he was almost forced to change due to fan pressure when he finally did we then went on a run. I also think he’s lucky to have picked up a few good players but in doing so also brought in too much dross as well. Does nothing but slag off the budget, but from what I hear even when told if he needs a little extra ask & the board will look at it. Never asks then slates the budget again for not being able to bring in players.

So it's his fault that he's brought in dross, but it's luck when he brings in quality? Couldn't write it.

Also, if you think 'fan pressure' has ever twisted Derek Adams arm into picking or not picking a player, then I think you're very wrong.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Nobby":2u0ff1dx said:
Argyle Nutter":2u0ff1dx said:

So it's his fault that he's brought in dross, but it's luck when he brings in quality? Couldn't write it.

Also, if you think 'fan pressure' has ever twisted Derek Adams arm into picking or not picking a player, then I think you're very wrong.
I’ll agree fan pressure alone wouldn’t sway It but he would have been feeling the pressure on him. & yes I do think luck has something to do with it if you bet on 100 horses that are the favourite a few might win but some will also come in at the back all luck.
You have your opinion I’ll stick to mine thanks

Aug 5, 2016
Mark Pedlar":1axjx1hn said:
Still waiting for the end of season slide as usual. Let's hope we can get enough points to get to a point where that won't take us back to Division 2.

Far too early for this poll.

But not too early at Halloween and Christmas?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I'm on the fence I'm afraid; another fantastic turnaround in form whilst playing a very entertaining brand of football no doubt about that.

That said its another year playing catch up because the start to the season was so horrific we found ourselves rock bottom fearing the worst again.

The proof is in the final position we finish I suppose. Yes, we're on a good run now but how long can we maintain it? Equally you can't just brush over the start to the season we had, finishing anywhere outside the relegation zone would be a huge relief but only because Adams didn't learn from last year's mistakes. For me it would earn him another season but we can't keep yo-yoing between completely useless to completely unplayable, we simply won't go anywhere being so inconsistent.

Mar 14, 2009
I want him gone, but l know the board won’t sack him even if we go back to league two this season. I won’t call for him to be sacked it just how l feel about his management style.

Around Xmas time, which isn’t very long along many were saying DA’s time is up or that they even realised there were flaws within his tactics that he wasn’t addressing that became frustrating.

For me, the poll says take us to the championship. How can we sustain enough good form if you defend every season the same way. We back away and give opposition players time and space to pass, cross and shoot. Of course the argument is he got us promoted doing this. Yet my counter argument is the higher you go up in the leagues the better players use that time and space you aren’t pressing them to their advantage. I’ve not seen any change in our defensive style since he became manager to think he has or will address the problem.

He though are my concerns with him.....

- His after match comments where some of his comments are just delusional

- The way we start games. Waiting to see what the opposition do. Often wasting the first 45 mins of games not getting on the front foot

- His in lack of flexibility with one up front. Haven’t got a problem him playing it but either find people who can support the forward or find a formation where the striker isn’t as isolated from the rest of the team. This happens especially away. Which is why last season for example we were one of the lowest goal scoring teams away from home.

- Tackling. Simple. Stop letting people shadow mark on the edge of the box. Perfect example was Walsall at HP recently. Andy Cook we let compete and win the ball back in our area and then waltz around our penalty area whilst we watched before he finally drove a right footed shot into the net.

He is a streaky manager. Batches of wins come with batches of losses. Like l said before in another thread we have had winless streaks in our first two seasons which often couldn’t be halted.

I think we have decent players who excite us. We can play some good football. Yet l ask you if your honest if it wasn’t for Carey’s wonderful strike, where was the goal coming from on Saturday? You see despite my criticism above the thing with football is you have to score to win games. Under Adams lm afraid we don’t get enough shots on the opposition goal. Can you remember on Saturday the Pompey keeper making another crucial save in the game? And there is the fundamental problem. For all the wonderful skills and flicks when it comes to the final third we simply aren’t looking like a team who scores enough “scrappy” goals. We simply don’t get enough of our players in the opposition penalty box.

That’s why we always win or lose 2-1 in a majority of games. Unfortunately that’s why it wil continue under his tenure. We aren’t good enough defensive unit to keep clean sheets and we aren’t a good enough goal scoring unit to get enough goals to keep covering up our defensive issues.

Oct 16, 2016
Gone.

Consistently inconsistent. I don’t see a plan other than the current ‘plan’. I don’t see the new stand and amenities making any real difference to the investment other than giving the club a better grounding to remain solvent and self supporting.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The alternative?

May 3, 2017
I always believed he would turn our fortunes around and always stood by him. Yes he’s been very frustrating at times and these back to back dreadful starts to the season are mystifying but he is a manager who is building for the long term. Adams is laying foundations for the better of the club and I struggle to see many other current managers who can come in and do a better job in the current financial circumstances.