Danny Mayor. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Danny Mayor.

Jun 27, 2019
Agree with the Argyle Life assessment that Mayor needs to be more greedy. For me he's always looking to lay the ball off when he should be trying to drive into opposition penalty areas. He went on two such runs against Rovers and scared the hell out of them - winning one pen and probably should have had another.

I think he'll come good but we need a decent striker for him to link up with. I thought that would be Telford and it still might be, but not on today's evidence.

Dec 3, 2005
Majority of the time there is NO end result!

Great watching him beat players but after a while, with NO end result, it gets very tedious.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Devongreenowl":1uxympzq said:
Tugboat":1uxympzq said:
Based on what we’ve seen of him this season so far... complete waste of a wage. He’s on top wages and he’s not more influential than the guy in the lowest.

I admit he’s not been on fire, but your comment is completely ridiculous. He’s so lacking in influence that most opposition sides have two or three players around him and he is probably the most fouled player in L2. Waste of a wage? Utterly disrespectful of a really good player and totally over the top comment. :banghead:

Disagree and :banghead: right back at you

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
B_Rathbone1892":3bh3agre said:
Don't see what he's done to warrant his name on the team sheet over George Cooper.

Listening to the radio commentary it certainly seemed like Argyle were much more threatening after Cooper came on and his name (Cooper) was associated with practically everything that was being described from an attacking perspective.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Mayor is a fine player for this level and we are lucky to have him. He may not have hit top form but I’d still rather he played for us than against us. Lowe didn’t help him with that comment and the early season hype was way OTT. It’s not Mayor that’s the issue. It’s a lack of a striker to do the work in and around the box. Mayor does need to shoot more, we all know that, but his instinct is to find a pass and that’s the player he is.

Jan 30, 2016
I think that we have the same problem where Derek Adams could not envisage playing both Carey and Lamiras in the same team. When he finally did they were an absolute joy to watch.
I think that Lowe is of the same mindset and struggles to see both Major and Cooper in the same team. I would have both start but admit that I am not sure who I would drop - perhaps just play one up front?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
He doesn’t suit our formation unfortunately.

Either he adapts or Lowe changes it.

Our only real chance this season is getting in a goal scorer CF to play in a 2 or play a lone striker and get Mayor moved up just behind and get another ball playing CM in.

We’re still disjointed and not a settled team

Maybe move to a 3-4-3

Oct 5, 2013
Tugboat":3ezo6ajt said:
He doesn’t suit our formation unfortunately.

Either he adapts or Lowe changes it.

Our only real chance this season is getting in a goal scorer CF to play in a 2 or play a lone striker and get Mayor moved up just behind and get another ball playing CM in.

We’re still disjointed and not a settled team

Maybe move to a 3-4-3

Thoroughly agree.
Mayor has brilliant skills and vision, (although very little of a left foot, which often means he stops in full flight and turns around on himself, slowing down the momentum he himself has generated), but is not being played in the right position.
Needs to be just behind the front two, as Tugboat says.

Jun 2, 2016
It's not complicated.. You need to get your best players on the ball as often as possible, in areas where they can score, set up goals.
Get Mayor more central, and tell him to shoot more for crying out loud

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
IJN":2llye3uc said:
I absolutely adore the man when he's 'doing his thing' but anyone else really disappointed with what we're getting from him?

To me he's nowhere near what Carey or Ruben gave us.

I do wonder whether his legs or going because he certainly nowhere near as dangerous as he was last season according to some reporters of the game.

You read my mind, Ian. When I got up this morning I was toying with the idea of introducing an almost identical thread about DM but then realised that my tin hat was at the cleaners and I bottled it! ;)

Mirroring the two sides of the argument so far, I totally agree that he is a very talented footballer who provides flashes of talent fully deserving of a far higher level than the Fourth Division. Sadly, these have so far been few and far between and he is in danger of falling way below expectation level, if he hasn’t already done so. As has been noted here, that level of expectation was fuelled by far more pre-season hype than has proved to be justified. Not DM’s fault, but a heavy burden to bear all the same. It's a bit like a mate recommending a film as the best that he has ever seen and urging you to view it. Totally underwhelmed, you come out after your trip to the cinema and think, ‘Really?’

As an eternal optimist, my hope is that DM is a Home Park slow-burner and will suddenly burst into life, attaining legendary status. In that regard I am taken back to the arrival of a certain Tommy Tynan in August 1983. We paid (what was for Argyle) a fair amount of money for him (£50,000?) and although his goal-machine credentials were loudly trumpeted he only managed 3 in the first 15 games. I was living in London at the time and had not had the opportunity of seeing him play until Argyle visited Arsenal for a 2nd Leg League Cup Tie. They lost 1-0 and I remember coming away from Highbury feeling really depressed that my first glimpse of Tynan in action was so disappointing. Well, we all know what happened over the subsequent years. If DM can turn things around the way that Tommy did it would make me a very happy camper indeed.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I wonder if he would be more effective playing on the right side of midfield, thus freeing up Cooper to play on the left side?

Oct 5, 2013
Emu":3sjtz3g1 said:
I wonder if he would be more effective playing on the right side of midfield, thus freeing up Cooper to play on the left side?

This seems a very good suggestion to me. He can get a few crosses in then with his right foot

Sep 6, 2006
Will become a big asset am sure. But I think he could be more part of the problem than the solution at the moment. Everything slows down when it gets to him and little end product. Doesnt help that he is marked by 2 or 3 players.