Danny Mayor signs for 2 more years | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Danny Mayor signs for 2 more years

Mar 23, 2008
Really pleased, another piece of the jigsaw. Now hope Conor Grant signs and then to complete the defence.

Oct 15, 2017
oldage":14lldr7r said:
Cult Of Personality":14lldr7r said:
Very Meh signing for me. Good player sometimes but not a great one. I am hoping he finally becomes the player people think he is
At least I'm not the only one to think like that. :thumbup:

Yes, but there are not many of you. :yawn:

Jul 28, 2020
Hopefully thereā€™ll be a right winger along soon- to complete the set.

But what Lowe also needs to work on is to get work rate from his flair players. While itā€™s very important to have full backs that get forward, itā€™s equally important to have wingers that track back. We donā€™t want wingers that play ā€œmusical statuesā€ when they lose possession. The amount of times Danny failed to track back with a runner last season was a bit of a worry. Itā€™s an aspect of his game he needs to work on, and could learn a lot from the way Peter Halmosi Used to operate back in the halcyon days...

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Railway sleeper":w7g3p622 said:

But what Lowe also needs to work on is to get work rate from his flair players. While itā€™s very important to have full backs that get forward, itā€™s equally important to have wingers that track back. We donā€™t want wingers that play ā€œmusical statuesā€ when they lose possession. The amount of times Danny failed to track back with a runner last season was a bit of a worry. Itā€™s an aspect of his game he needs to work on, and could learn a lot from the way Peter Halmosi Used to operate back in the halcyon days...

I agree with the point, although I wouldn't say it's a work rate issue. I think Mayor puts in quite a lot of graft, isn't afraid of making a tackle. It's more an issue of awareness / concentration.

Sep 2, 2008
Nobby":3df3t34b said:
Pottypilgrim":3df3t34b said:
gaspargomez":3df3t34b said:
Where the staff and players live is their business. I donā€™t blame them for not wanting to move family homes every couple of years. Its their performances which count.

No doubt the manager and players are on holiday at the moment and taking a break from football. Contract offers are probably with their agents and negotiations paused for a while.

I agree that this will be the case for some players but Lowe has told us that he's met with Mayor and his family already. Mark my words, Lowe already knows if Mayor is staying or not.

Most players contracts don't finish until the end of the month so I can understand why announcements aren't really being made. However, Mayor is currently contracted to Argyle so it shouldn't be a problem announcing that he has signed again unless that's something they can't say because it's not going to happen.

Believe me, he's gone.

Thanks for the insight. New two year deal just announced on Twitter. :wave: :lol:

You're welcome.

All designed to make the signing on experience more enjoyable ;)

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Railway sleeper":10e8tjoz said:

Let's not get too exotic. A mark11 Brian Johnson would be good enough for me!

Sep 2, 2008
PlymOdi":5jbk8h9y said:
Pottypilgrim":5jbk8h9y said:
gaspargomez":5jbk8h9y said:
Where the staff and players live is their business. I donā€™t blame them for not wanting to move family homes every couple of years. Its their performances which count.

No doubt the manager and players are on holiday at the moment and taking a break from football. Contract offers are probably with their agents and negotiations paused for a while.

I agree that this will be the case for some players but Lowe has told us that he's met with Mayor and his family already. Mark my words, Lowe already knows if Mayor is staying or not.

Most players contracts don't finish until the end of the month so I can understand why announcements aren't really being made. However, Mayor is currently contracted to Argyle so it shouldn't be a problem announcing that he has signed again unless that's something they can't say because it's not going to happen.

Believe me, he's gone.

This is what happens when your desire to be the Forum troll outweighs common sense.

Welcome back Danny. Hopefully we get a few better players around you so you can really shine.

Read between the lines and consider the timing of my post :wave:

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Really pleased with this news. Mayor is a player who can make things happen and Iā€™d much rather have him in our team than in the opposition. Also, I have a suspicion that weā€™ve not seen the best of him and if the team overall can be stronger at the back then players like Mayor can be a bit freer and more creative.

This re-signing is also interesting in that it suggests that Argyle are able to compete fairly well financially because I find it hard to believe that there were not other clubs interested in signing him.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Railway Sleeper, it must have been very frustrating for an attacking midfielder playing in front of that inexperienced defence last season. Admittedly, there were several occasions when, late in the game, Mayor did not have the same influence as he had early in a game.
However, I think it is unfair to suggest that he rarely ā€˜tracked backā€™. I donā€™t think that his better attributes are in defence but, having watched 43 of our league matches on iFollow and 3 at Home Park, I donā€™t recall too many occasions when he was not back in the penalty area trying to help defend set pieces.

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":76llehz3 said:
It must have been very frustrating for an attacking midfielder playing in front of that inexperienced defence last season. There were several occasions when, late in the game, Mayor did not have the same influence as he had early in a game.
However, I think it is unfair to suggest that he rarely ā€˜tracked backā€™. I donā€™t think that his better attributes are in defence but, having watched 43 of our league matches on iFollow and 3 at Home Park, I donā€™t recall too many occasions when he was not back in the penalty area trying to help defend set pieces.

I agree with this.

Having confidence in your defence is important for an attacking player like Mayor. I'm hoping we get a solid defence in which will allow Mayor the opportunity to stay up more often then not and perhaps he wont fade some much toward the end of a game.

Players like him work in bursts and that can take a lot out of you especially if you have to track back too often. Get a good solid defence in and keep him up top and I think we'll see him deliver what most of us believe he's capable of.

Jul 28, 2020
davie nine":3a7v7pae said:
Railway Sleeper, it must have been very frustrating for an attacking midfielder playing in front of that inexperienced defence last season. Admittedly, there were several occasions when, late in the game, Mayor did not have the same influence as he had early in a game.

Donā€™t get me wrong - I think Dannyā€™s a great player. But there where occasions when I felt he didnā€™t get back. My opinion is that full backs/ wingers hunt in pairs: letā€™s take the Connolly/ Norris combination in sturrock side- they would often attack as a pair and defend as a pair. Or if Connolly was pushing on , Norris was prepared to hang back and do some spade work. Does Danny do this as much as he should ? Not in my opinion.... then again he hasnā€™t had a settled LWB to work with, so thereā€™s some mitigation there...

Jul 28, 2020
davie nine":1bx1zwsm said:

Just as an aside Iā€™ve heard rumours of Maguire ( Sunderland) on the right wing. If that transpires ( hopefully) what Iā€™d really love to see is a camara ( RWB)/ maguire ( RW) combination on the right hand side .... and Connor grant ( LWB)/ mayor ( LW)- if that happens, that could really open up possibilities for us next season IMO......