Charlton v Argyle Match Thread | Page 26 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Charlton v Argyle Match Thread

Dec 29, 2011
I have given it a night to sleep ,on in case I am suffering a personal meltdown, but I came away from last nights match still feeling positive about aspects of Argyle's performance.Yes there were many individual mistakes, but at no time did Argyle throw the towel in.For 40 minutes it was a real match and Charlton fans we talked to after the game said the same thing.I have seen so many drubbings over the year but I would not put this in the same cateogry.When we went down to 10 men no player hid in my opinion

Reactions: Kevin Pedlar

CAFCRed

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Aug 17, 2022
We don't do well at the Valley. I've watched a number of our games away at theirs in the last few seasons and they have only ever been a completely bang average side. Stockley and Reyki-Saki are not going to fire them to promotion. Absolutely no chance. Not a patch on the quality of the likes of Peterborough, Wednesday, Ipswich etc. At our best we are better than them as we have shown against Peterborough and Barnsley, but today was an absolute shambles. Charlton are the very definition of a really ordinary midtable side but whenever we play them you would think there were 3 divisions between the sides. Real bogey ground.
Sorry but to say Charlton are a bang average side is completely wrong, yes last season was a shambles for us but prior to that, in our last 5 seasons at this level we have gone up as Champions, up as play off winners, got playoffs and missed out on playoffs by goal difference. literally the opposite of definition of mid table.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Sorry but to say Charlton are a bang average side is completely wrong, yes last season was a shambles for us but prior to that, in our last 5 seasons at this level we have gone up as Champions, up as play off winners, got playoffs and missed out on playoffs by goal difference. literally the opposite of definition of mid table.
You'll have to ignore the Pasoti football experts mate. Have to say i was impressed how you got forward and exposed our poor passing at the back (or was it too much pressure from your front men?). Either way, we had an off dayand i think we will both be up there despite last night.

Reactions: Tugboat
Jul 28, 2020
5-3-2 away perhaps..
Depends whether you play it with full backs ☑️Or wing backs ✖️away from home

With full backs it could work- but do we have any ?

Our away performances have been hopeless .

My preference would, therefore be:
3-4-2-1 at home
4-5-1 away

Aug 6, 2022

I didn't stipulate exact dates and so my opinion there is subject to interpretation. Last season, you battered us at home and you turned out to be an average side, finishing 13th. This season you battered us again, and I see the same pretty average side in the long-run. My comment said last few seasons - I was including this game obviously, and last season primarily. That's two seasons. I seem to recall, as per my post, that we seem to get battered at your place almost every other year, hence I broadly said last few seasons. Perhaps wrong use of wording but I'm counting at least 2 seasons. If you read Schumacher's comments about us making you look like Real Madrid, that's more or less what my post was pointing to. For some strange reason every time we play at yours, we get battered. And last season, and in my opinion this, you are a very average side. We've already faced Barnsley and Peterborough, the latter with a front-line of JCH and Marriott. Looking at your 11 last night, I fail to see a team that is going to be challenging for promotion. As I said, if you're suggesting that Stockley, Rak-Sakyi and Kirk are going to fire you into the top-end of L1, well we'll have to agree to disagree. They're ok, but I wouldn't compare them to the front-line at Sheff Wed, Ipswich or Peterborough, to name 3 - would you?

You absolutely battered us yesterday, but we came out of the blocks terribly and then had 10 men from 40 minutes on. I'm not worried by the showing as we've already beaten Peterborough and Barnsley, 11 v 11, and have not lost a single player (not even the injured Camara or Cooper), over the summer, and have key first-team players to return from injury, and so we are well placed to build on last season's 7th place finish.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'to say Charlton are a bang average side is completely wrong' - well, how is your 11 from last night any stronger than last season? What's improved that's going to take you from 13th to the top end? No disrespect mate, but I don't think anyone is frightened of that first 11. I'm only saying all of this because reading the Charlton board, you'd think the bookies have them down for 1st place. Totally carried away and I saw the same thing with when JJ was in charge of you.

Edit: I forgot to mention - You also lost Conor Washington from last season. So again, how are you better than last season?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022
You'll have to ignore the Pasoti football experts mate. Have to say i was impressed how you got forward and exposed our poor passing at the back (or was it too much pressure from your front men?). Either way, we had an off dayand i think we will both be up there despite last night.
Ok, so tell us then how Charlton are any better than last season ? They finished 13th last season Sir. Inform us as to the additions they have made that could be considered game-changing signings. Please do let us know Sir. I suspect you will fall flat. Sheffield Wednesday meanwhile, added Ihiekwe and Smith from Rotherham, Bakinson, Stockdale and more - excellent L1 pros with title winning experience. Not forgetting Will Vaulks, who is a Welsh international, and Reece James. Lots of experience, lots of signings from Championships clubs. Now enlighten me about Charlton. I look forward to your considered analysis on Charlton. Would you say that signing Rak-Sakyi and Sessegnon will see them go from 13th to the top end Sir? Really?? Don't forget to include in your summary, that they lost their best player in Conor Washington from last season. Awaiting your enlightened understanding.

I'll make sure to save this quote for the end of the season and give you a reminder Sir.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Daz
May 16, 2016
Any team that batters Argyle with 5 goals at home must be more than average. You don't go 1 point ahead of us after 4 games for no reason even one that's been relegated back into this level on a seemingly regular basis.

Aug 6, 2022
Any team that batters Argyle with 5 goals at home must be more than average. You don't go 1 point ahead of us after 4 games for no reason even one that's been relegated back into this level on a seemingly regular basis.
In isolation, that is a weak statement. 60 minutes agains ten men, of which 1 goal was a resulting pen from the red, 1 was a worldy of a strike, and the other 2 dropped at their feet/deflections. Sorry but, scoring 5 goals means you are above average is like saying the sky is blue and so it will be sunny tomorrow.

CAFCRed

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Aug 17, 2022
I didn't stipulate exact dates and so my opinion there is subject to interpretation. Last season, you battered us at home and you turned out to be an average side, finishing 13th. This season you battered us again, and I see the same pretty average side in the long-run. My comment said last few seasons - I was including this game obviously, and last season primarily. That's two seasons. I seem to recall, as per my post, that we seem to get battered at your place almost every other year, hence I broadly said last few seasons. Perhaps wrong use of wording but I'm counting at least 2 seasons. If you read Schumacher's comments about us making you look like Real Madrid, that's more or less what my post was pointing to. For some strange reason every time we play at yours, we get battered. And last season, and in my opinion this, you are a very average side. We've already faced Barnsley and Peterborough, the latter with a front-line of JCH and Marriott. Looking at your 11 last night, I fail to see a team that is going to be challenging for promotion. As I said, if you're suggesting that Stockley, Rak-Sakyi and Kirk are going to fire you into the top-end of L1, well we'll have to agree to disagree. They're ok, but I wouldn't compare them to the front-line at Sheff Wed, Ipswich or Peterborough, to name 3 - would you?

You absolutely battered us yesterday, but we came out of the blocks terribly and then had 10 men from 40 minutes on. I'm not worried by the showing as we've already beaten Peterborough and Barnsley, 11 v 11, and have not lost a single player (not even the injured Camara or Cooper), over the summer, and have key first-team players to return from injury, and so we are well placed to build on last season's 7th place finish.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'to say Charlton are a bang average side is completely wrong' - well, how is your 11 from last night any stronger than last season? What's improved that's going to take you from 13th to the top end? No disrespect mate, but I don't think anyone is frightened of that first 11. I'm only saying all of this because reading the Charlton board, you'd think the bookies have them down for 1st place. Totally carried away and I saw the same thing with when JJ was in charge of you.

Edit: I forgot to mention - You also lost Conor Washington from last season. So again, how are you better than last season?
Fair assessment, for what its worth I don't think we are the finished article and would agree there are stronger teams in our league, Rak Sakyi comes with good pedigree but he's unknown, was his first game against you so I cannot say if he will fire us to promotion, all I know Is he was top scorer in PL2 last season so knows where the back of the net is, obviously that's not senior football but nothing else to go by. There is no doubting we need more goals to compete with the top end and a lot of fans are calling to sign another striker, but I would also say it's too early to judge. We have 8 league goals this season (ok yes skewed by 5-1 result) but it took us 8 games to get that many last year so we are already creating and scoring more. (expected with our new style of play)

As for how our 11 is stronger than last season, well only 2 players that started our 2-0 win vs you at home last season, started yesterday - Dobson , our POTY last year and Clare who played in a back 3 last year. We have a new manager and new formation/way of playing - we are completely different from last season, this is not the same Charlton as last season - will we improve? Possibly but I, like a lot of Charlton fans are cautious.

Yeah last season we got carried away with JJ when he first took over from Adkins but the damage was already done (2 wins out of 13) and we had too much dead wood last year, Watson, Arter, Pearce, Gunter etc all gone and replaced. We were playing wingers as strikers and/or wing backs and central midfielders and full backs as centre backs, our players didn't fit the system and we didn't have any tactical awareness - our good early form under JJ was mainly due to new manager bounce especially from having a club legend in charge.

My point was, last season yeah would agree we were bang average, at best. But historically we have been a strong team in this league for the most part, how you can judge we are bang average this season based on 4 games, when as I say our side is completely different to last year is beyond me - We might be, who knows. FWIW I like Plymouth and wish you good luck for the season.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Ok, so tell us then how Charlton are any better than last season ? They finished 13th last season Sir. Inform us as to the additions they have made that could be considered game-changing signings. Please do let us know Sir. I suspect you will fall flat. Sheffield Wednesday meanwhile, added Ihiekwe and Smith from Rotherham, Bakinson, Stockdale and more - excellent L1 pros with title winning experience. Not forgetting Will Vaulks, who is a Welsh international, and Reece James. Lots of experience, lots of signings from Championships clubs. Now enlighten me about Charlton. I look forward to your considered analysis on Charlton. Would you say that signing Rak-Sakyi and Sessegnon will see them go from 13th to the top end Sir? Really?? Don't forget to include in your summary, that they lost their best player in Conor Washington from last season. Awaiting your enlightened understanding.

I'll make sure to save this quote for the end of the season and give you a reminder Sir.
What is with this "Sir" and the general sarcy tone of your response? I thought CAFC made his points in a fair and polite way, unlike some of the opposition people who come on here baiting and crowing.

CAFCRed

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Aug 17, 2022
Yep Plymouth been strong in this division, think a lot of that performance was trying to make up for our loss v Sheff Wed, we were the better team but just couldn't finish on Sat (Sheff wed got booed off at halftime) So you probably played us at the wrong time as we were looking to make amends.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
What is with this "Sir" and the general sarcy tone of your response? I thought CAFC made his points in a fair and polite way, unlike some of the opposition people who come on here baiting and crowing.

Totally agree MM

Jun 19, 2006
weston super mare
Despite his impressive goal I wouldn't be fussed if Whittaker doesn't start on Saturday. Several times he had the ball in good positions but was too greedy and ignored players in better positions.

Mayor is the better option.
If he starts on Saturday it should be instead of Hardie. He has an eye for goal, but not for the better passing option. If he and Hardie start then Hardie would be the better inside forward

Reactions: greenpilled

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
I like Charlton and the way they play. They suffer the same inconsistencies as us, but I hope were both up there at the end fighting it out. I like Stockley and Kirk, they make very intelligent runs create their own space, would have them in my team. coyg