Centre Back issue... (merged) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Centre Back issue... (merged)

Oct 11, 2014
First things first on the training ground. Sort out the defence first, then move to the midfield and finally to the forwards. Without the defence working, then the other two won't work either. Clean sheets should now be the first aim, be hard to beat. From there we can work on the midfield weaknesses and hopefully by January be at a point where we can make some transfers and go on a little run and finish around 16th. If we don't sort the defence out, then we will leak goals and be cut too far adrift to be worth spending extra money in January in a bid to stay up.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
How can anyone bury their head in the sand and say there isn't a MASSIVE issue with the defence.

Posh cut us apart like a hot knife thru butter and TBH they didn't even get into 2nd gear.

The defending this year has been all at sea and we have been wide open to simple counter attacks.

The current crew must be off the Titanic because we are going down based on the showing so far.

Oh for Oscar, Bradley and Vyner back

Feb 8, 2005
samjones":107kzqhz said:
How can anyone bury their head in the sand and say there isn't a MASSIVE issue with the defence.

Posh cut us apart like a hot knife thru butter and TBH they didn't even get into 2nd gear.

The defending this year has been all at sea and we have been wide open to simple counter attacks.

The current crew must be off the Titanic because we are going down based on the showing so far.

How can anyone take the view that we are going down?

We've only just started the season and things can change on a sixpence.

There is NOT a massive issue with the defence, the defence has NOT been leaking goals, we have NOT been cut open on a regular basis, and anyone can have a bad game now and then.

It just so happens that several first teamers had a bad day last Saturday, and I expect Adams and Wotton to make sure that they don't continue in that way in the future.

Sep 6, 2006
jimsing":muzk94mf said:
samjones":muzk94mf said:

How can anyone take the view that we are going down?

We've only just started the season and things can change on a sixpence.

There is NOT a massive issue with the defence, the defence has NOT been leaking goals, we have NOT been cut open on a regular basis, and anyone can have a bad game now and then.

It just so happens that several first teamers had a bad day last Saturday, and I expect Adams and Wotton to make sure that they don't continue in that way in the future.

Yes by dropping them. But who to bring in?

Feb 8, 2005
I fully expect most of the team (especially both centre halves) to be playing tonight.

It is an opportunity for them to exorcise Saturday's performance.

A bad day at the office does not make them bad players. They are professionals and they should be wanting to make up for their performances on Saturday.

They need confidence and the only way they are going to get it is by playing.

Jul 17, 2011
to be fair i think that sawyer and edwards could be a really good combination. but it does make adams look stupid if he does that so i'm not sure if her will. he might even consider playing carey as a CDM tonight to get him more involved!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Anyone know why Adams brought in Peter Grant.. By my reckoning he’s 5th choice CB. Could if spent theses wages on a CB with pace.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
driscollberg":8wcsk661 said:
to be fair i think that sawyer and edwards could be a really good combination. but it does make adams look stupid if he does that so i'm not sure if her will. he might even consider playing carey as a CDM tonight to get him more involved!
DA has already indicated that the team tonight won't be much different to last Saturday. Obviously Moore's been dropped but I can't see many other changes.

Unless he's playing mind games of course.

Oct 16, 2016
Centre back issue....that’s far too simplistic, teams defend as a team. When the ball is spat back towards your goal because the midfield can’t keep it you remove all confidence from the defenders and keeper, we’ve all seen that if you’ve watched football at any standard.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Shankster":1kdae2k5 said:
Centre back issue....that’s far too simplistic, teams defend as a team. When the ball is spat back towards your goal because the midfield can’t keep it you remove all confidence from the defenders and keeper, we’ve all seen that if you’ve watched football at any standard.

I disagree, we seriously lack a CB that isn’t slow and can pass.. makes me wonder why we brought in Peter Grant if Sawyer is the newest thought at CB. Does that make Grant 6th choice CB behind Eddy, Wooton, Canavan, Sawyer and Songo’o ?

A

ArgyleLuka

Anton Ferdinand has just been released from Southend by mutual consent. Derek said there would be no loan signings but he never mentioned free agents.

Just a possibility.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Probably better than any of our current CB’s but is he fit? No point if he isn’t.

Also a question of wages perhaps.

I personally think it might be worth scouting abroad for someone who can play from the back comfortably.

Aug 11, 2013
Afraid DA has made his bed and we have to lie in it.

I understand from friends of Sonny that he wasn’t asking the earth just a reasonable rise from the league 2 wage he’d been stuck on. He was keen to stay and thought the clubs offer was derisory. An insult in fact. So we let a kingpin of our team go and pick up a couple of players who’s careers have taken a dip post serious injury. It beggars beliefa.

think that decision is going to cost a lot of people dearly ..... how we let a player like that slip away is beyond me. He was one to break the wage structure for and literally would have headed a brick for the cause of his team. These sorts of decisions leave you feeling we’ll never quite make the promised land .... ever!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
arrythewurzel":16ampxcx said:

I understand from friends of Sonny that he wasn’t asking the earth just a reasonable rise from the league 2 wage he’d been stuck on. He was keen to stay and thought the clubs offer was derisory. An insult in fact. So we let a kingpin of our team go and pick up a couple of players who’s careers have taken a dip post serious injury. It beggars beliefa.

think that decision is going to cost a lot of people dearly ..... how we let a player like that slip away is beyond me. He was one to break the wage structure for and literally would have headed a brick for the cause of his team. These sorts of decisions leave you feeling we’ll never quite make the promised land .... ever!
a "reasonable rise" is subjective.

Oct 31, 2015
arrythewurzel":2glwrmsn said:

Interesting comments on pay. What gets me is that Caravan, Wotton name sake and Peter Who Grant are 3 wages for carp CBs when giving Sonny a pay rise from.lg2 wages and one other would probably have cost less.

We will never know but only DA is to blame and he is the one to change it. Makes a mockery if we continue to start with Eddy and Sawyer who were both ay the club last season.

DA is here to stay but boy he winds me up!!!!