Centre Back issue... (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Centre Back issue... (merged)

Oct 31, 2015
The Doctor":272leffz said:
What is Elliot Ward doing these days? He was awesome when he was with us 10 or so years ago. Mind you, he’s probably slow now too.

Edited to add: funnily enough, he’s a free agent so we could actually sign him if he wanted to come, was fit etc etc. (I’m musing by the way. This didn’t start out as a serious suggestion)

Possibly the best loan signing we have had but doubt he is the same player nowadays. Oh for an Ellliot Ward, Vyner, Nelson type player now alongside a Wotton, Coughlin, Hartley, Bradley, Morrison, Heathcoat type player.

I cant remember such a poor stack of CBs at the club and I include poor old Edwards as well. He was not that good before his illness and has been foundvwanting this season.

DA has made his bed and only he can sort it but talking about poor budget and signing 3 really poor CBs in the summer falls on his shoulders. Add in Moore and Riley and we are really in a mess at the back.

Feb 8, 2005
You are deluding yourself if you are comparing Rose to the likes of what we have at the Club now.

Quality and Rose (or any of our current youth for that matter) are words that do not go together.

They are learning the game.

What we need is experienced leaders. We have them, Wotton just needs to get them organised.

Apr 9, 2011
arrythewurzel":236i0glo said:
northroadwest1":236i0glo said:
Why did Adams knowingly sign 3 centre backs with no pace!!!

And wouldn’t their wages have more than satisfied Bradley’s demands?
Exactly Adams has made a complete & utter mess with the close season recruitment . What beggars believe he reportedly was supposed to have "chased" some of them & wanted them on board for some time ??? Soon we will be back to virtually the same line up we finished last season minus arguably our two better players Bradley & Threlkeld sums up our pathetic pre season really

Feb 8, 2005
Centre backs with pace will cost money. More money than we can afford.

Adams decided to spread his budget over more players, (and as we ran out of players last season who could blame him?) so how can we afford to pay more than the have got?

Therefore the only way we can compete is through practice, hard work, organisation, and determination.

Wotton will sort out the defensive frailties on the practice ground. It is nothing that cannot be rectified.

These boys are professionals and will take a bit of time to get used to the way Adams wants them to play.

Remember we only won 1 of the first 10 fixtures last season, and we had a good season didn't we?

Jul 6, 2011
jimsing":3hx7nyto said:
You are deluding yourself if you are comparing Rose to the likes of what we have at the Club now.

Have you seen them play?
Quality and Rose (or any of our current youth for that matter) are words that do not go together.

They are learning the game.

What we need is experienced leaders. We have them, Wotton just needs to get them organised.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
This has the possibility of the sort of thread which is bumped in a few months time when we have just gone 15 games unbeaten, conceding just a handful of goals along the way.

Here's hoping, anyway.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
I don't see us signing another centre back any time soon, so we have to make do with what we have. My preference on the evidence I have seen thus far would be: Sawyer on the left, good reader of the game, (Bobby Moore was not known for his pace but was okay) and Edwards for strength and heading ability. I would play a basic 4 3 3 attacking to easily change to 4 5 1 defending. And I would always leave at least 1 player up when defending corners etc. as an outlet.

May 8, 2011
Is there an issue, it took until the 84th minute of the fifth game before a team scored against us from open play.
Also did any of the Centre backs concede any of the penalties?

Aug 5, 2016
HC Green":2ktlczrz said:
Is there an issue, it took until the 84th minute of the fifth game before a team scored against us from open play.
Also did any of the Centre backs concede any of the penalties?

Exactly. Also looking at many of the goals conceded on Saturday, Tafari Moore is way, way out of position. Is he part of the defensive line or not? If so it needs to be drilled into him he has defensive responsibilities too.

Sides in the relegation zone need to build the clean sheets first, then sprinkle the goals on top.

Oct 20, 2015
There is an issue. Passing. Distribution from Macey and Wootton has been v poor. Canavan also seems to miss the simple pass.

I love how people are merrily stating that we'll be OK this season because we pulled ourselves out of the mire last season. What makes anyone think we can repeat that remarkable turnaround?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
slingsby_pobble":15txae0z said:
There is an issue. Passing. Distribution from Macey and Wootton has been v poor. Canavan also seems to miss the simple pass.

I love how people are merrily stating that we'll be OK this season because we pulled ourselves out of the mire last season. What makes anyone think we can repeat that remarkable turnaround?
i think we can repeat last season because we have a very good manager.

Apr 5, 2008
slingsby_pobble":jq215ufj said:

Nothing is decided after 5 league games that’s why.Some teams come racing out of the blocks and run out of steam.Peterporough for example have never been promoted previous times they had won first four league games in a row.

Others start of slow and build momentum,you just don’t know,it’s ludicrous to be writing off Argyle or any team at this stage,.