Centre Back issue... (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Centre Back issue... (merged)

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
I think o’keefe can play in the Milwall game. He’s not cup tied is he? Personally I think you have to give P Grant a shout at CB before you play sawyer out of position. Otherwise literally what was the point of signing him? I do quite like the idea of Sawyer at centre back though for his experience alone

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Cobi Budge":h1dazcrn said:
I'd play Edwards & Sawyer together personally.

So what was the point in signing Grant,Caravan and Wooton.Could have spent their wages on a decent pay rise for Bradley...Stubborn of Adams or what......As for dear old Songo and least we know once and for all that he is not a centre back....

Jul 2, 2014
Tugboat":3cju9elu said:
3 CB’s next match?

Play wing backs in a 3-5-2?

Go crazy and put everyone on the transfer list?

There is also merit in this because Smith-Brown and Moore both seemed to fail to get back when Peterborough attacked. They are obviously talented and fast, but seem happier pressing forward than playing defense. Both them were jogging into the box as the ball was going into the net - Smith Brown on Goal one and Moore on goals 2, 3 and 5. They may not have been able to rescue the situation, but they weren't busting a gut to get back either. Both are very promising players, but they need to take their defensive responsibilities more seriously. Having three centerbacks may allows us to get more out of their attacking play without the defensive consequences.

Sep 28, 2003
London
If Adams signs three centre backs and then we start playing with Edwards and Sawyer there, then I don't think he'll ever have a leg to stand on complaining about his budget.

I'm finding it hard to justify losing Bradley as we didn't want to give him an extra 500 quid a week, but signing three guys to replace him (which presumably has cost many thousands more).

Our squad seems to be a bit bloated.

Jan 27, 2012
I think Adams might have to admit his error of judgement in the new centre backs and try to work some miracles in the loan window to get some better quality there. Act now while he still can.

Danknight98

✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2016
Mdgreener":b32wlzlt said:
Tugboat":b32wlzlt said:
3 CB’s next match?

Play wing backs in a 3-5-2?

Go crazy and put everyone on the transfer list?

There is also merit in this because Smith-Brown and Moore both seemed to fail to get back when Peterborough attacked. They are obviously talented and fast, but seem happier pressing forward than playing defense. Both them were jogging into the box as the ball was going into the net - Smith Brown on Goal one and Moore on goals 2, 3 and 5. They may not have been able to rescue the situation, but they weren't busting a gut to get back either. Both are very promising players, but they need to take their defensive responsibilities more seriously. Having three centerbacks may allows us to get more out of their attacking play without the defensive consequences.

I completely agree with this but is it down to the 2 players or what the manager instructs them to do? (Bomb forward when possible)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
arrythewurzel":ifgkcw58 said:
northroadwest1":ifgkcw58 said:
Why did Adams knowingly sign 3 centre backs with no pace!!!

And wouldn’t their wages have more than satisfied Bradley’s demands?

I said at the time it was a mistake to let Bradley go, we should have offered him a better contract and he would have stayed.

We are a tin pot club who are now smaller than the likes of Luton, who can take our players should they choose to.

I’ve no idea why we signed Peter Grant let alone Wooton and Canavan they are all L2 standard players We are in trouble I think.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
For all those praising Edwards, watch the 5th Peterborough goal. Where the hell was he when they broke and how slow was he getting back.

The highlights show how very, very, very, very, very bad our defence was. I thought it was bad yesterday, but watching that back makes it look even worse.

I have no idea what’s happened with Bradley’s wants and Adams wish list vs budget but someone somewhere knows and what a mess.

Pay peanuts and get what you deserve it seems.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Tony_Flags":16a6ph8z said:
For all those praising Edwards, watch the 5th Peterborough goal. Where the hell was he when they broke and how slow was he getting back.

The highlights show how very, very, very, very, very bad our defence was. I thought it was bad yesterday, but watching that back makes it look even worse.

I have no idea what’s happened with Bradley’s wants and Adams wish list vs budget but someone somewhere knows and what a mess.

Pay peanuts and get what you deserve it seems.

Edwards was also woeful against Southend.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
There lies our biggest problem. Pace. We have none through the spine. Vyner had it and bailed Bradley out on more than a few occasions. Bradley was a limited defender but made up for it by being very committed and very vocal. I'm not too upset in losing him. However the replacements need to step up and soon. Edwards is very good at attacking the ball in the air but I have a sneaky feeling he is not match 100% after all he has been through. Yes he went through pre season and is fit but it looks like there is that 5% edge missing.
Pace. We need it!!

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
When thinking about all our successful sides, I think the common theme is that we have always had a real presence in central defence whether it is the big, robust defender or the smarter, faster type. All of them could also pop up and contribute a goal or two as well.

Just to name a few we have had Bradley, Vyner, Hartley, Nelson, Wotton, Coughlan, Marker, Morrison etc. The common attribute with them has generally been leadership, a win at all costs attitude, getting stuck in or pace (Vyner and Nelson)

I think the question is do any of the current crop have that in them to join the group above ? My guess is that Edwards has it in him potentially and he is certainly a brave lad, not sure about the others.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
What is Elliot Ward doing these days? He was awesome when he was with us 10 or so years ago. Mind you, he’s probably slow now too.

Edited to add: funnily enough, he’s a free agent so we could actually sign him if he wanted to come, was fit etc etc. (I’m musing by the way. This didn’t start out as a serious suggestion)

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
I wanted him last season Tim... And every season since in fact, but yes he's probably a very different beast now.