Callum Rose | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Callum Rose

Feb 28, 2016
davie nine":7c9qk1nu said:
Does anyone know if Callum Rose played for Dorchester today? Seems a more relevant question in view of the subject of this thread.

Yes he did Davie, 1-1 with Dunstable.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
MarkMatthews":bzp042o9 said:
Ollieargyle9":bzp042o9 said:
Doyley43":bzp042o9 said:
I believe the influx of foreign players has ruined everything including the national squad! Young lads are just not given the chance to progress due to the added competition.

I would love the Sky/TV bubble to burst and for the obscene money to dry up. I would rather football go back to the grass roots. We would then maybe see more youngsters given the chance at every level.

Good luck to Callum, I hope he makes it somewhere.

I would say the opposite, the influx of foreign players has vastly improved our game not ruined it. In a globalised world you get the best available product regardless of where it was born or developed. The English game imports some of the best talent from across the world making the end product far richer for ideas than it used to be. Foreign players with skills and techniques developed abroad, foreign managers who have developed tactics and philosophies from a multitude of footballing cultures. England has become a home for many of these approaches and our product as a spectator sport is considered one of the best in the world for it.

The issue really is the seemingly British refusal to set up shop elsewhere. Many foreign players are willing to travel here, there and everywhere just for an opportunity to prove themselves. That same drive isn't found on our shores, I think the expectation of English players that they have a right to play in this country holds them back. You look at the best footballing nations in the world and a large proportion of their players play abroad, many of which over here learning their trade in one of the most diverse football leagues in the world. It's this willingness to move that makes these players the stars they are. They didn't become superstars overnight, they found clubs abroad that would give them a chance to prove themselves, they found clubs who needed the skills they had that their own country didn't need, they met the demands of clubs so they could benefit from skills shortages elsewhere.

Until English players start taking risks to move abroad they will have to settle for not being footballers because unless you are an exceptional talent you simply cannot expect to compete. There is a world full of footballers out there, clubs have extended their horizons to meet it. English players need to do the same, they need to realise there is a world full of clubs out there; some don't pay as much as English clubs, some don't offer the same prestige in playing in the Premier League, some don't have the same TV spotlight as England but what all of them offer is an opportunity and sometimes that's all you need...

The swamping of the top club with foreigners is definitely a modern disease. It is clear to me we need to introduce a cap on foreign born players to 2-3 per squad. I seem to remember when it was last raised it was said it would be against EU Law, so hopefully it will be something that comes back on the table in the next couple of years. That said I canā€™t see the PFA going along with it as even though it is in the interest of their British members, the foreign players are also their members. It would face resistance from some of the big clubs too, although perhaps itā€™s something the football league could look into.

I couldn't disagree more and am appalled to read someone describe young players coming over here as a disease!

If English youngsters aren't good enough they shouldn't be playing here. Limiting foreign imports won't improve standards, far from it. The greater the competition the harder you have to work, if you are gifted first team opportunities because clubs are tied by import tariffs the players become complacent, the reason to improve yourself is gone.

I certainly hope it isn't on the agenda, football is a beacon for integration where players and fans of all nationalities, sexualities, genders, religions join together in support of their team and long may that be supported and celebrated. I would hate to see multiculturalism sacrificed for a few English youngsters who want a gift wrapped place in English football because can't be arsed to move abroad.

Feb 28, 2016
Ollieargyle9":36xrihln said:
MarkMatthews":36xrihln said:
Ollieargyle9":36xrihln said:
Doyley43":36xrihln said:
I believe the influx of foreign players has ruined everything including the national squad! Young lads are just not given the chance to progress due to the added competition.

I would love the Sky/TV bubble to burst and for the obscene money to dry up. I would rather football go back to the grass roots. We would then maybe see more youngsters given the chance at every level.

I would say the opposite, the influx of foreign players has vastly improved our game not ruined it. In a globalised world you get the best available product regardless of where it was born or developed. The English game imports some of the best talent from across the world making the end product far richer for ideas than it used to be. Foreign players with skills and techniques developed abroad, foreign managers who have developed tactics and philosophies from a multitude of footballing cultures. England has become a home for many of these approaches and our product as a spectator sport is considered one of the best in the world for it.

The issue really is the seemingly British refusal to set up shop elsewhere. Many foreign players are willing to travel here, there and everywhere just for an opportunity to prove themselves. That same drive isn't found on our shores, I think the expectation of English players that they have a right to play in this country holds them back. You look at the best footballing nations in the world and a large proportion of their players play abroad, many of which over here learning their trade in one of the most diverse football leagues in the world. It's this willingness to move that makes these players the stars they are. They didn't become superstars overnight, they found clubs abroad that would give them a chance to prove themselves, they found clubs who needed the skills they had that their own country didn't need, they met the demands of clubs so they could benefit from skills shortages elsewhere.

Until English players start taking risks to move abroad they will have to settle for not being footballers because unless you are an exceptional talent you simply cannot expect to compete. There is a world full of footballers out there, clubs have extended their horizons to meet it. English players need to do the same, they need to realise there is a world full of clubs out there; some don't pay as much as English clubs, some don't offer the same prestige in playing in the Premier League, some don't have the same TV spotlight as England but what all of them offer is an opportunity and sometimes that's all you need...

The swamping of the top club with foreigners is definitely a modern disease. It is clear to me we need to introduce a cap on foreign born players to 2-3 per squad. I seem to remember when it was last raised it was said it would be against EU Law, so hopefully it will be something that comes back on the table in the next couple of years. That said I canā€™t see the PFA going along with it as even though it is in the interest of their British members, the foreign players are also their members. It would face resistance from some of the big clubs too, although perhaps itā€™s something the football league could look into.

I couldn't disagree more and am appalled to read someone describe young players coming over here as a disease!

If English youngsters aren't good enough they shouldn't be playing here. Limiting foreign imports won't improve standards, far from it. The greater the competition the harder you have to work, if you are gifted first team opportunities because clubs are tied by import tariffs the players become complacent, the reason to improve yourself is gone.

I certainly hope it isn't on the agenda, football is a beacon for integration where players and fans of all nationalities, sexualities, genders, religions join together in support of their team and long may that be supported and celebrated. I would hate to see multiculturalism sacrificed for a few English youngsters who want a gift wrapped place in English football because can't be arsed to move abroad.

Danny Barrow, Tom Moxham, Jamil Roberts and now Joe Mason all out playing in the states, Josh Richards out in Sweden (never thought to ask him about the language barrier.) River Allen about to go out to New Zealand to play and thatā€™s just young British players linked to this club. Seems very lazy to tar young British players with the same brush.

Feb 28, 2016
jimsing":17ostgwh said:
MarkMatthews":17ostgwh said:
Quintrell_Green":17ostgwh said:
We took Oscar T who they nurtured through their ranks. It might end up 'quid pro quo'. We shall soon discover. The North West, like the North East is a breeding ground for future pro footballers so it will be very competitive

It will be competitive, the mother of all uphill struggles infact. We saw that with Ty in the NE. However the fact a northern professional, club have given a trial to someone who has only ever played; non pro, southern football is great news, if they have been watching him, they will have inadvertently, seen others.

Hopefully they wonā€™t be able to come in for the likes of Cooper and CamSang on the cheap, given how management feel about them, they will have safeguarded the club against this sort of interest, AND develop them accordingly. But for those they couldnā€™t give a pancake flip about, I sincerely hope there is a way out.

The fact they donā€™t develop the likes of; Oscar, Kellett and Clough, is a good thing. They wonā€™t be competing against people their own age unfairly because they ā€œarenā€™t on of their own.ā€

How do you know that PAFC were not instrumental in getting this trial for him? It seems to me that you have a downer on the Club, without knowing the full facts.

Is it just co-incidental that Bolton, of all Clubs, should suddenly take notice of a youth centre half that will be discarded by PAFC at the end of the season. I cannot believe that there has been no input from Argyle in such a case. When someone is about to be released, circulation to all league clubs would be the minimum that I would expect from my Club, and a follow up from Bolton to Argyle would be appropriate before any decision would be made by them.

Just because Argyle release their younger players, that does not mean they then lose all interest in their welfare.

If Bolton have given Rose a trial, then credit should go to Argyle, not criticism.

Is Derek Adams a good enough source for to know it was a fact that PAFC were not instrumental in getting either, Callum Rose or Alex Battle their trials at Bolton?

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... le-1271091

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Doyley43":3uo1lboc said:
Ollieargyle9":3uo1lboc said:
Doyley43":3uo1lboc said:

Don't agree with any of that, however I respect your opinion!

I'd rather watch Argyle rather than any Prem League match and like I said I hope the bubble burst soon! The money in the top tier ruins it for me, especially when you see someone on Ā£300k a week rolling around acting injured when they are not. I'd rather watch rugby than the Prem league.

https://youtu.be/VQ4v7ecI1nY this video sums that up perfectly, and in my opinion why I also agree that the money in the Premier League now is simply out of control. A football player gets a slight knock and rolls around in "agony", a rugby player has blood pouring down his face yet plays on until a stoppage .

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
A salary cap, and/or a limit of how many foreign players teams in the Premier League would not improve the standard of players available for the England squad. Simple fact is that if these players are good enough they will make it in the Premier League, Man City, Spurs etc have several players who have come through youth systems etc and are now playing at the top of the ladder. The influx of foreign players has definitely been beneficial in actually developing the style and quality of player we see who do make it in the Premier League. Perfect example of this was when Bergkamp came to Arsenal, playing and training with him didn't just benefit the younger players but benefited the seasoned pro's as well, a lot of Dennis's team mates at Arsenal have said that training and playing with him had an impact on improving their own skills and techniques etc.

Simple fact is that the Premier League is big business, one of the biggest "entertainment" industries in the world, and unless the bubble does burst then things aren't going to change in the slightest. Being disabled and pretty much housebound now I spend a lot of time watching football from all around the world, and when it comes to quality and competitiveness the Premier is definitely number one.

I wish Callum all the best, and hope he can forge a career playing for himself at a decent level

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Ollieargyle9":3i21vdek said:
MarkMatthews":3i21vdek said:
Ollieargyle9":3i21vdek said:
Doyley43":3i21vdek said:

One name in favour of multiculturalism now performing at Home Park; Ruben Lameiras. Come and watch him if you haven't already.

That does not mean that Alex Fletcher, or even Alex Battle, should not be given the opportunity if good enough. In fact, I am not sure who Fletcher could replace currently, but I would like to see him work with Lameiras in the senior squad at some stage before the end of the season.

The current style of play would certainly suit him more than when he did get his chances.

Aug 14, 2014
The influx of foreign players has been of major benefit to the standard of English football, though there are one or two downsides essentially the outflow of money to agents and clubs abroad, and a lack of opportunity for more of our youngsters to play in the Premiership at present
Practice of technique, dedicated training, diet, less alcohol consumption, and professional dedication are aspects of the Premership imports that must have rubbed off on our current British superstars such as Kane, Ali, Radford, Lingard, Sterling, Walker and Wilshire. The success of the age group teams last summer is, in my opinion, a result of lifestyle changes and direct competition with the foreign imports in training. The future of the English National team looks bright, if only a manager can shape up. The days of intransigent British attitudes have gone, thank goodness, along with the denigration of all things outside the coventional. The investment in the inner city Manchester City youth academy centre of excellence, at the Etihad campus, is an unbelievable facility where under 9 to under 23 are developed.

Those of us that voted Brexit may rue the day we did so if immigration rules are applied equally accross the board. I for one will miss watching the likes of Sanchez, Pogba, Valencia, Augero, De Bruyne, Hazard, Azpilicueta, Salah, Eriksen and Mahrez if it comes to be. Then again the likes of Jack Stephens recognised and developed by Argyle, honed as product of the new culture resultant from the foreign influences at Southampton will fill the void. In such a scenario Argyle's youth will become increasingly significant as the Television money dries up and the highly paid depart to richer pastures.