Callum Rose | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Callum Rose

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Quite a bit of speculation throughout here.

The only people that know the facts are Callum and Derek Adams, maybe one or two others tops.

As with any "break up" you can be sure you will never get the truth. Not from Callum and certainly not from parents or friends.

I doubt Argyle had much or anything to do with his trial, why would they?

I hope it's a successful one, and he makes a living out of football. Good luck to him.

Dec 21, 2015
MarkMatthews":368h83yx said:
Biggs":368h83yx said:
We could also be two leagues apart, Pele10. If my auntie had bollo...

Anyway, being in the same league doesnā€™t mean you have the same aspirations. I reckon Man City have a slightly different way of doing things than Huddersfield.

Agree on the pathway to the first team, though. An advantage of getting to the Championship and being higher in the football pyramid generally, is that young players are more likely to be loaned out to League 1 and 2 sides, rather than non-League clubs where thereā€™s a risk of dropping off the radar if they donā€™t excel in a tough environment.

You have just answered the main reason why not many go on to prove the club wrong. Because when they released from a L2 club, not many clubs will even look at them. Our academy doesnā€™t get better/worse depending on what division the club is in. Same lads get released from a championship club will get more interest from the lower leagues.

As to Jim, yes I do know the facts in Roses case, as Iā€™m sure HC Green will tell you, if you go regularly to coach road, you get to know people in the know, attendances arenā€™t big, you are all on one side and use a small clubhouse. Up to you if you donā€™t believe me.

As to the points about my qualifications, that was answered last time, I donā€™t have any, just a fan expressing an opinion, on a fansā€™ opinion board. How many posters on here are qualified? What football qualifications has James Brent got, to be able to judge who the best manager to appoint is? If we arenā€™t going to have any opinions that arenā€™t from qualified professionals, then we might as well pack up and go home because PASOTI would shut overnight.

Voicing your opinion is one thing - but berating the club and putting your views across so strongly and putting the club down at every opportunity with regards how many young players they release ... Is a statement of I'm right the club is wrong

None of the players Argyle have released have gone on to anything more then semi pro in non league football so who is wrong you or the club ??

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
davie nine":1zwaykqq said:
How times have changed!!!
Steve Davey was telling us at Senior Greens today that he joined as an apprentice with Johnny Hore, Norman Piper and Richard Reynolds. They all got their opportunities at Home Park and made successful careers.

Times have changed indeed. In those days getting players in from other parts of the UK was a bigreat event. The top teams have hardly any English players let alone local ones and even in the conference teams are fielding overseas players. The money has resulted in an up skilling of football throughout the pyramid and it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that local footballers can't make the grade.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Mark Pedlar":3fp6gs2u said:
davie nine":3fp6gs2u said:
Steve Davey was telling us at Senior Greens today that he joined as an apprentice with Johnny Hore, Norman Piper and Richard Reynolds. They all got their opportunities at Home Park and made successful careers.

Times have changed indeed. In those days getting players in from other parts of the UK was a bigreat event. The top teams have hardly any English players let alone local ones and even in the conference teams are fielding overseas players. The money has resulted in an up skilling of football throughout the pyramid and it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that local footballers can't make the grade.

A very rational observation. You are spot on, there.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Mark Pedlar":31bhxqul said:
davie nine":31bhxqul said:

Plenty of Argyle Youth players have gone on to be successful i.e.

Paul Wotton
Gary Sawyer
Luke McCormick
Jock Morrison
Kevin Hodges
Leigh Cooper
Michael Evans
Martin Barlow

The list goes on .....

Jul 14, 2008
Iā€™d imagine some of the fans who get frustrated at the lack of opportunities for young players would be the same ones who call for a managerā€™s head after a run of bad results. You canā€™t have it both ways. These days no manager in their right mind would take a gamble on putting young inexperienced players into the first team when, at least in the short term, they will be inferior to seasoned professionals. Not unless they are forced down that route due to lack of resources like Exeter. Look how much pressure managers are under. Stuart McCall was sacked by Bradford after a run of six defeats despite still being in the play offs. When owners (and many fans) are that fickle of course managers will take a short termist approach to team selection because so often they have no idea whether they will still be at the club in the medium term. Itā€™s just a symptom of modern football and the lack of patience that seems to exist.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
GreenArmy1984":umy9la5c said:
Mark Pedlar":umy9la5c said:
davie nine":umy9la5c said:

Plenty of Argyle Youth players have gone on to be successful i.e.

Paul Wotton
Gary Sawyer
Luke McCormick
Jock Morrison
Kevin Hodges
Leigh Cooper
Michael Evans
Martin Barlow

The list goes on .....

They have indeed - and some very good players listed there. I think the point was how many players have gone on to have a successful league career after having been released by Argyle as a kid.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
And that times have changed with the influx of foreign players/higher standards as per Mark P's post.

I'm not sure how posting a list of players who came through before said changed times is particularly relevant.

Doyley43

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
I believe the influx of foreign players has ruined everything including the national squad! Young lads are just not given the chance to progress due to the added competition.

I would love the Sky/TV bubble to burst and for the obscene money to dry up. I would rather football go back to the grass roots. We would then maybe see more youngsters given the chance at every level.

Good luck to Callum, I hope he makes it somewhere.

Nov 18, 2011
Doyley43":1ru7gzaz said:
I believe the influx of foreign players has ruined everything including the national squad! Young lads are just not given the chance to progress due to the added competition.

I would love the Sky/TV bubble to burst and for the obscene money to dry up. I would rather football go back to the grass roots. We would then maybe see more youngsters given the chance at every level.

How has the national squad been ruined? It could be argued that the opportunity to play a higher standard of football week in week out can only improve the English players that do play in the Premier League.

Using your theory the England football team would have won far more in the days before the Premier League and the influx of foreign players but it didn't, a home advantage World Cup aside.

Good English players will still get a chance if they're good enough, it may just have to be a bit lower down the league ladder. I'd say that the filtering down of talent has made League 1 + 2 a lot more watchable then it was 10-20 years ago as the quality is so much higher. There's no way a player as talented as Carey would have been knocking around the lower leagues 10-20 years ago.

Anyway back on topic and best of luck to Callum Rose, hopefully he uses his release as motivation to prove the Argyle management team wrong like Isaac Vassell did. I do however trust the management fully with their assessment of a player and whether they're worth a new contract or not.

Doyley43

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Joe Totale":z4yv9l2i said:
Doyley43":z4yv9l2i said:

How has the national squad been ruined? It could be argued that the opportunity to play a higher standard of football week in week out can only improve the English players that do play in the Premier League.

Using your theory the England football team would have won far more in the days before the Premier League and the influx of foreign players but it didn't, a home advantage World Cup aside.

Good English players will still get a chance if they're good enough, it may just have to be a bit lower down the league ladder. I'd say that the filtering down of talent has made League 1 + 2 a lot more watchable then it was 10-20 years ago as the quality is so much higher. There's no way a player as talented as Carey would have been knocking around the lower leagues 10-20 years ago.

Anyway back on topic and best of luck to Callum Rose, hopefully he uses his release as motivation to prove the Argyle management team wrong like Isaac Vassell did. I do however trust the management fully with their assessment of a player and whether they're worth a new contract or not.

Less English players making the grade due to foreign players (and the introduction of TV money) quite simple I would have thought!

Too much money in the top tier for me, I think it's obscene! I preferred football when it was more of a level playing field before the days of Sky. I guess so many support (maybe from afar) the Man Utd, Man City's, Arsenal and Chelsea to name a few and you can see this by the shirts being worn around town. I am sure these fans have a different opinion to myself and enjoy the Premier League.

Please don't try to get me into an argument about Callum, I have not said the management got it wrong about him. I do though, the same as you, wish him the best of luck. If he does prove them wrong then fair play to him, it does happen on occasions, but I for one will not blame the Argyle management team if he does make it elsewhere.

Aug 17, 2011
Do we think less English players are making the step up to the top level because they have reservations about playing abroad?

I reckon (and I havenā€™t checked the facts) we must be the highest placed nation in the world without any national player playing abroad. Our players like to stay at home and I believe this is why our national team has struggled over the years, not the fact we have Foreign players in the professional Divisions

Jan 30, 2017
frosk2005":clpeybbj said:
Do we think less English players are making the step up to the top level because they have reservations about playing abroad?

I reckon (and I havenā€™t checked the facts) we must be the highest placed nation in the world without any national player playing abroad. Our players like to stay beat home and I believe this is why our national team has struggled over the years, not the fact we foureign players in the professional decisions

I've always found this curious. Is it the language barrier?

If so, can we blame our education system's lack of focus on languages for our international football failings?

Aug 17, 2011
Green90":1fdt6nra said:
frosk2005":1fdt6nra said:

I reckon (and I havenā€™t checked the facts) we must be the highest placed nation in the world without any national player playing abroad. Our players like to stay beat home and I believe this is why our national team has struggled over the years, not the fact we foureign players in the professional decisions

I've always found this curious. Is it the language barrier?

If so, can we blame our education system's lack of focus on languages for our international football failings?

This is something that has played on my mind for a number of years, the top players have played in our highest division which over my lifetime has been rather predictable (442) and only now does that seem to be changing also. Buy our lack of experiences with other nationalities higher divisions must be a deterrent to our plans at a national level. Personally I work with several Romanians currently, and I have picked up a number of Romanian phrases and words and I would be surprised if prem players playing with several Brazilians for example wouldnā€™t know at least a little of the language, but that being said, we are behind in terms of language skills with the rest of Europe (again in my opinion) and we need to broaden our horizons interms of football. People like Sanchowho left Man City this summer are going to lead the way in players experimenting with other divisions and realising that playing in La Liga or the Serie A isnā€™t so bad! And that, playing in these divisions may help us produce higher standards, different options and different styles of play and make our national squad less predictable.... who knows we may stand a chance against the likes of Iceland if we do that.... I couldnā€™t resist a troll moment after the amount of rum Iā€™ve drank tonight haha