Callum Rose | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Callum Rose

Feb 8, 2005
MarkMatthews":3vj5ak16 said:
Quintrell_Green":3vj5ak16 said:
We took Oscar T who they nurtured through their ranks. It might end up 'quid pro quo'. We shall soon discover. The North West, like the North East is a breeding ground for future pro footballers so it will be very competitive

It will be competitive, the mother of all uphill struggles infact. We saw that with Ty in the NE. However the fact a northern professional, club have given a trial to someone who has only ever played; non pro, southern football is great news, if they have been watching him, they will have inadvertently, seen others.

Hopefully they wonā€™t be able to come in for the likes of Cooper and CamSang on the cheap, given how management feel about them, they will have safeguarded the club against this sort of interest, AND develop them accordingly. But for those they couldnā€™t give a pancake flip about, I sincerely hope there is a way out.

The fact they donā€™t develop the likes of; Oscar, Kellett and Clough, is a good thing. They wonā€™t be competing against people their own age unfairly because they ā€œarenā€™t on of their own.ā€

How do you know that PAFC were not instrumental in getting this trial for him? It seems to me that you have a downer on the Club, without knowing the full facts.

Is it just co-incidental that Bolton, of all Clubs, should suddenly take notice of a youth centre half that will be discarded by PAFC at the end of the season. I cannot believe that there has been no input from Argyle in such a case. When someone is about to be released, circulation to all league clubs would be the minimum that I would expect from my Club, and a follow up from Bolton to Argyle would be appropriate before any decision would be made by them.

Just because Argyle release their younger players, that does not mean they then lose all interest in their welfare.

If Bolton have given Rose a trial, then credit should go to Argyle, not criticism.

Jun 22, 2015
TonyD":1simemhx said:
Mark as the man with all the facts can you name 5 ex argyle academy players that have been released by the club that are now thriving and earning a living playing at a higher level than Argyle ?

I ask simply because you seem to constantly berate the club for releasing academy players instead of giving them long highly paid contracts

Could I also ask what qualifications / background you have that your obviously a better judge of players we should be giving contracts to as obviously the staff at Argyle don't know a good player capable of stepping up from u18 / reserve team level when they see one

We all know many thousands of youngsters are signed to clubs up and down the country, we also know not many of those thousands go on to become professional footballers playing for the club that developed them at a young age.

For example and I use this example liberally - the millions poured into the premier league and their academy's has only seen approx 30 players going on to play first team football over the last few seasons

Another stat is that only half of 1% of academy players go on to make a living in the game

And one final one - of the 1.5 million youngsters playing at youth team level approx 0.012% (180) will make it as a premier league footballer

Huddersfield who recently scrapped all their youth academies 8-16 yrs due to only 1 player progressing from academy to first team in almost 20 years ....

Your usually the first to condemn Argyle for not giving players contracts but again back to my opening question can you name 5 that came through the ranks at Argyle and are now playing at a higher level having been released ?

Should the question not be why aren't we producing players?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We are producing players. The point is that the success rate is very low, and it's very low almost everywhere.

It's higher at Exeter because the size of club necessitates building around that model to survive, whereas Argyle's sights are much higher.

The Football League and Premier League is littered with Argyle youth products that were mainly developed pre-admin, but as has been pointed out no-one that Argyle have released in the last 5 years or so has proved the club wrong or is anywhere near the standard of Mason, Stephens, Gallagher, Barnes, Gosling et al.

As we continue to get back on our feet, I'd hope that our post-admin youth system soon starts to bear fruit.

Jun 22, 2015
Biggs":2qhxtl5i said:
We are producing players. The point is that the success rate is very low, and it's very low almost everywhere.

It's higher at Exeter because the size of club necessitates building around that model to survive, whereas Argyle's sights are much higher...

The Football League and Premier League is littered with Argyle youth products that were mainly developed pre-admin, but as has been pointed out no-one that Argyle have released in the last 5 years or so has proved the club wrong or is anywhere near the standard of Mason, Stephens, Gallagher, Barnes, Gosling et al...

As we continue to get back on our feet, I'd hope that our post-admin youth system soon starts to bear fruit.

BUT WE WERE IN THE SAME LEAGUE WITH EXETER LAST SEASON, AND POSSIBLY NEXT SEASON

UNFORTUNATELY IT WONT WITHOUT BRIDGING THE 19-21 YEAR OLD GAP, THAT ENTAILS KEEPING THEM FOR ANOTHER COUPLE OF SEASONS, NOT 1ST YEAR PRO THEN GONE :scarf:

Pasotimods

Apr 30, 2007
croppercapture2.jpg

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We could also be two leagues apart, Pele10. If my auntie had bollo...

Anyway, being in the same league doesnā€™t mean you have the same aspirations. I reckon Man City have a slightly different way of doing things than Huddersfield.

Agree on the pathway to the first team, though. An advantage of getting to the Championship and being higher in the football pyramid generally, is that young players are more likely to be loaned out to League 1 and 2 sides, rather than non-League clubs where thereā€™s a risk of dropping off the radar if they donā€™t excel in a tough environment.

Feb 8, 2005
If we pick up youngsters at 5/6 years of age, then we have to wait 10 years for them to develop. Ten years ago we were still seeing the after effects of administration.

Do you really think parents of talented kids back then would have let them go to Argyle?

Are we really criticising the Club for something that was out of their control?

As we climb the leagues we should attract better talent to begin with, but we will have to wait 10 years to get any benefit.

Such is life.

Feb 28, 2016
Biggs":19wxir30 said:

Anyway, being in the same league doesnā€™t mean you have the same aspirations. I reckon Man City have a slightly different way of doing things than Huddersfield.

Agree on the pathway to the first team, though. An advantage of getting to the Championship and being higher in the football pyramid generally, is that young players are more likely to be loaned out to League 1 and 2 sides, rather than non-League clubs where thereā€™s a risk of dropping off the radar if they donā€™t excel in a tough environment.

You have just answered the main reason why not many go on to prove the club wrong. Because when they released from a L2 club, not many clubs will even look at them. Our academy doesnā€™t get better/worse depending on what division the club is in. Same lads get released from a championship club will get more interest from the lower leagues.

As to Jim, yes I do know the facts in Roses case, as Iā€™m sure HC Green will tell you, if you go regularly to coach road, you get to know people in the know, attendances arenā€™t big, you are all on one side and use a small clubhouse. Up to you if you donā€™t believe me.

As to the points about my qualifications, that was answered last time, I donā€™t have any, just a fan expressing an opinion, on a fansā€™ opinion board. How many posters on here are qualified? What football qualifications has James Brent got, to be able to judge who the best manager to appoint is? If we arenā€™t going to have any opinions that arenā€™t from qualified professionals, then we might as well pack up and go home because PASOTI would shut overnight.

Feb 8, 2005
MarkMatthews":3ehf0ynf said:
Biggs":3ehf0ynf said:

You have just answered the main reason why not many go on to prove the club wrong. Because when they released from a L2 club, not many clubs will even look at them. Our academy doesnā€™t get better/worse depending on what division the club is in. Same lads get released from a championship club will get more interest from the lower leagues.

As to Jim, yes I do know the facts in Roses case, as Iā€™m sure HC Green will tell you, if you go regularly to coach road, you get to know people in the know, attendances arenā€™t big, you are all on one side and use a small clubhouse. Up to you if you donā€™t believe me.

As to the points about my qualifications, that was answered last time, I donā€™t have any, just a fan expressing an opinion, on a fansā€™ opinion board. How many posters on here are qualified? What football qualifications has James Brent got, to be able to judge who the best manager to appoint is? If we arenā€™t going to have any opinions that arenā€™t from qualified professionals, then we might as well pack up and go home because PASOTI would shut overnight.

I think you mean Tony. :D

Feb 28, 2016
jimsing":2rki3ccx said:
MarkMatthews":2rki3ccx said:
Biggs":2rki3ccx said:

I think you mean Tony. :D

Apologies, yes I did.

May 8, 2011
MarkMatthews":12uxce08 said:
Biggs":12uxce08 said:

I would recommend attending a SWPL game at Newton Abbot or an U18 game at Harperā€™s Park because as well as watching some entertaining football you get the opportunity to chat to a wide range of Argyle people including Directors, the Chief Executive, Derek Adams as well as the parents of the players and the manager!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
How times have changed!!!
Steve Davey was telling us at Senior Greens today that he joined as an apprentice with Johnny Hore, Norman Piper and Richard Reynolds. They all got their opportunities at Home Park and made successful careers.

Jun 10, 2017
jimsing":2xjhsrb4 said:
MarkMatthews":2xjhsrb4 said:
Quintrell_Green":2xjhsrb4 said:
We took Oscar T who they nurtured through their ranks. It might end up 'quid pro quo'. We shall soon discover. The North West, like the North East is a breeding ground for future pro footballers so it will be very competitive

It will be competitive, the mother of all uphill struggles infact. We saw that with Ty in the NE. However the fact a northern professional, club have given a trial to someone who has only ever played; non pro, southern football is great news, if they have been watching him, they will have inadvertently, seen others.

Hopefully they wonā€™t be able to come in for the likes of Cooper and CamSang on the cheap, given how management feel about them, they will have safeguarded the club against this sort of interest, AND develop them accordingly. But for those they couldnā€™t give a pancake flip about, I sincerely hope there is a way out.

The fact they donā€™t develop the likes of; Oscar, Kellett and Clough, is a good thing. They wonā€™t be competing against people their own age unfairly because they ā€œarenā€™t on of their own.ā€

How do you know that PAFC were not instrumental in getting this trial for him? It seems to me that you have a downer on the Club, without knowing the full facts.

Is it just co-incidental that Bolton, of all Clubs, should suddenly take notice of a youth centre half that will be discarded by PAFC at the end of the season. I cannot believe that there has been no input from Argyle in such a case. When someone is about to be released, circulation to all league clubs would be the minimum that I would expect from my Club, and a follow up from Bolton to Argyle would be appropriate before any decision would be made by them.

Just because Argyle release their younger players, that does not mean they then lose all interest in their welfare.

If Bolton have given Rose a trial, then credit should go to Argyle, not criticism.

Argyle played no part in getting Callum a trial with Bolton, and that is a fact,, And Argyle have no interest in a player once they leave the club unless they go on to make a success of themselves at a higher level, this is when Argyle will claim it is down to them for this players success

Jul 6, 2011
Knibbsworth":3tzhlrsw said:
A trial is only a trial Mark. If they say no thanks, the trialist moves on with their possessions in their kitbag.

Tyler Harvey trialled with Chelsea and Sunderland for example, and ended up in non-league after Argyle where he's been ever since.

Harvey had a training weekend at Chelsea with Christian Walton and a few others from other clubs I believe, but it wasn't a trial, although they probably did take the opportunity to have a quick look at them.

Jul 6, 2011
Biggs":2rzp3rwp said:

Yeah.. buying success, didn't do them any good against Wigan though did it...........

I thought it was a bad idea sending Alex Fletcher to a struggling team, in fact Dorchester would probably have been a better option with Rose already there. Talking about Rose I must admit I rate him higher than Bennett and firmly believe he will be a major success.