Burnley 0 - 1 Argyle. FA Youth Cup. | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Burnley 0 - 1 Argyle. FA Youth Cup.

dunlop

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Nov 17, 2009
Let's hope this team is remembered as the class of 2018 and at least 3/4 of these lads go on to become stars of the first team.

Feb 28, 2016
Great to see this run is generating such a high level of interest in the talent we have and that people are watching and forming their own opinions on players rather than just blindly adopting the opinion of the manager. We all prefer different styles and types of player and itā€™s a game of opinions.

Sounded like Downing and Crawford had really good games and were well disciplined. I think Harry Downing appears to have taking well to the captains role, which Iā€™m pleased with as I always felt either Crawford or Downings characters suited the role. Whilst posting in play, I said I was disappointed to hear Rio Garside had been subbed off so would like to say it sounded that Matt Ward played really well when he came on and sounded as if it was an astute tactical substitution, Matt Ward is someone I have always thought to be of a similar high standard as Sangster, so glad his contribution impressed commentators from outside the club looking in.

Letā€™s hope they go on to bright careers here but they certainly arenā€™t doing their stock any harm if they need to move on from Home Park.

Jul 29, 2010
Knibbsworth":yvp1vphn said:
I hope this doesn't attract too much attention from scouts up the pyramid. The sharks will be circling now.
They would've been circling before kick off in fairness.

Burnley will have a good youth set up but the achievement last night is in no way diminished by pointing out that Man City's youth set up is on another level, world class, arguably in the top five worldwide.

When we played City I doubt the great and the good of youth poaching scouting bothered to even look where Plymouth was on the map let alone consider coming here. But beating City meant each and every one of them marked their diaries for last night's game.

Without doubt we are on their radar big style now.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
MarkMatthews":1zv3fj9y said:
forming their own opinions on players rather than just blindly adopting the opinion of the manager.

arenā€™t doing their stock any harm if they need to move on from Home Park.

Couldn't resist some digs hey?

Let's hope some make it. Most won't and that'll be because they weren't good enough or consistent enough when they needed to be. Nothing more nothing less.

I watched Phil Foden play recently and despite being probably England's best player in his age group it was quite clear that right now he struggles with the physicality of the game.

We can't keep players for the sake of it, it's a luxury we cannot afford. At this level and in our position they need to develop faster and be first team ready early on. That includes being physically and mentally strong enough.

I can't comment on the terms our youngsters are offered but a few years back I was talking to somebody at Rotherham and they said they'd offered terms to some promising youngsters but they were turned down because they were not offering enough and they could earn more in a warehouse for example. Greed.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Thomas Edwards":1jhb4e7n said:
MarkMatthews":1jhb4e7n said:
forming their own opinions on players rather than just blindly adopting the opinion of the manager.

arenā€™t doing their stock any harm if they need to move on from Home Park.

Couldn't resist some digs hey?

Let's hope some make it. Most won't and that'll be because they weren't good enough or consistent enough when they needed to be. Nothing more nothing less.

I watched Phil Foden play recently and despite being probably England's best player in his age group it was quite clear that right now he struggles with the physicality of the game.

We can't keep players for the sake of it, it's a luxury we cannot afford. At this level and in our position they need to develop faster and be first team ready early on. That includes being physically and mentally strong enough.

I can't comment on the terms our youngsters are offered but a few years back I was talking to somebody at Rotherham and they said they'd offered terms to some promising youngsters but they were turned down because they were not offering enough and they could earn more in a warehouse for example. Greed.

Coping with the physicality of first team football at a young age is very important. I recall seeing Richard Reynolds at nearly 17 years of age make is debut for Argyle in a League Cup match. Richard was a big strapping lad and coped well. I believe he went on to make over 100 fist team games for the Club. From what I can see of the present Youth team the front strikers are no where near where Richards Reynold's physique at the same age.

Whilst we are talking about the Youth Team's success, I thought it a pity that the WMNs could not carry any report on the game last night, despite the later hour of its' printing.

Keepitgreen

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":1smo5vyp said:
Great to see this run is generating such a high level of interest in the talent we have and that people are watching and forming their own opinions on players rather than just blindly adopting the opinion of the manager.
If the lads played their home matches at home (rather than Newton Abbott) there'd be a lot more interest, and opinion, from the Green Army.

Jul 8, 2016
Well done to the lads and to Kevin H and his staff. Great achievement and long may it continue to blood these lads into our 1st team squad.

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
Fantastic result :clap:

Listened online up to HT before I had to disappear out for the night so great to rejoin the match thread this morning to see the result.....well sort of.

Last night I left the match thread on page 2 and got up this morning to work my way through the thread not knowing what the final score was. In my sad little world not knowing the final score and then going through the matchday thread is the next best thing :oops: Unfortunately, I refresh the thread and move to page 3 and there, staring me in the face is the edited thread title which now includes the final score.....aaahhh!

Polite request, can matchday thread titles not be edited to later include the score, ta muchly :thumbs:

BTW, i still worked my way through the thread, well chuffed for the lads!!!

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
Keepitgreen":sasze4xb said:
MarkMatthews":sasze4xb said:
Great to see this run is generating such a high level of interest in the talent we have and that people are watching and forming their own opinions on players rather than just blindly adopting the opinion of the manager.
If the lads played their home matches at home (rather than Newton Abbott) there'd be a lot more interest, and opinion, from the Green Army.
Agreed

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Keepitgreen":2a3lc0z4 said:
MarkMatthews":2a3lc0z4 said:
Great to see this run is generating such a high level of interest in the talent we have and that people are watching oand forming their own opinions on players rather than just blindly adopting the opinion of the manager.
Agreed, KIG.