Burnley 0 - 1 Argyle. FA Youth Cup. | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Burnley 0 - 1 Argyle. FA Youth Cup.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
To say Purrington only playing six games this season as an example is very misleading. He's been injured for half the season.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
jerryatricjanner":1dr2gme9 said:
Unfortunately it is a tough business and only a tiny percentage across the land of all the dozens of youngsters going through each club's youth set every year make it.

Very much so. The book Hunger in Paradise and accompanying documentary, are excellent.

A six year-old boy, head bowed, mumbles the eternal answer: ā€œBe a footballerā€¦.ā€ Steadman Scott, footballā€™s most unlikely talent scout, smiles indulgently, and takes him in from the street. He knows the odds. Only 180 of the 1.5 million boys who play organised youth football in England will become a Premier League pro. Thatā€™s a success rate of 0.012 per cent.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/no-hun ... 1784756116

http://sport.bt.com/video/bt-sport-film ... 4241852638

Feb 28, 2016
Personally whenever I watched Ampadu, I never thought he looked better than Callum or Jordan, and would rather have either of them any day but I know neither will be here next season. Donā€™t get me wrong I donā€™t mind giving their lads praise when I feel it deserved and I do like Jack Sparkes as a player and I do think he will go on to great things, so itā€™s not a dig at Ampadu just because he is from Exeter, he now has a great chance of making football pay the bills, even if itā€™s not at Chelsea having that on the CV will make football league clubs take him seriously and I hope he does make it.

Iā€™m not naive enough to think everything will be fine once Adams has gone, we would then need the right replacement, and then a specific written, target for the new bloke such as we want 2 players developed from the academy, into the first team by the end of next season. I donā€™t think that would happen itā€™s just what I would like to see happen, either way I donā€™t think Adams is good news for them.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
MarkMatthews":3ns14j9w said:
Personally whenever I watched Ampadu, I never thought he looked better than Callum or Jordan, and would rather have either of them any day but I know neither will be here next season. Donā€™t get me wrong I donā€™t mind giving their lads praise when I feel it deserved and I do like Jack Sparkes as a player and I do think he will go on to great things, so itā€™s not a dig at Ampadu just because he is from Exeter, he now has a great chance of making football pay the bills, even if itā€™s not at Chelsea having that on the CV will make football league clubs take him seriously and I hope he does make it.

Iā€™m not naive enough to think everything will be fine once Adams has gone, we would then need the right replacement, and then a specific written, target for the new bloke such as we want 2 players developed from the academy, into the first team by the end of next season. I donā€™t think that would happen itā€™s just what I would like to see happen, either way I donā€™t think Adams is good news for them.

That would be a ridiculous condition to write into any managerā€™s contract and why is it that you cannot see the Adams (for all his failings) has done as much if not more than any manager to encourage youth. Maybe not on a personal level whereby he tells everyone theyā€™re
great but he certainly has included youth team players in and around the first team.

Also, if you donā€™t rate Ampadu when Chelsea have had him playing first team football in the Champions league at 17 years of age then frankly your opinion is somewhat diluted.

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Some years ago I read or heard Jimmy Hill explaining how difficult it was it to make it as a professional footballer in the first team of an English League club. Two things stuck in my mind. He said or wrote along the following lines. "If every one of the 92 clubs had 28 professionals on their books (and a lot have less) then that means that there is never more than around 2500 of them in any one season. Now multiply the number of 16 year olds who leave school every year by the number of UK schools and you will see how hard it is." He said there were more bank managers than professional footballers (but that is probably no longer true due to all the bank closures). He then wrote or said: "Think about your own school and try and list all the boys from there who made it to a first team in the English League." It is just an unfortunate fact of life that there are more looking for contracts than spaces. So to get where these boys are now means they are special talents already. But the next few steps mean they have to move from special to very special and then to exceptional. And attitude is important too as Derek Adams pointed out in his assessment of the three last October. His words showed there is more than ability with a football to consider and that is the bit we cannot see from the sideline once a week.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
MarkMatthews":3h84s53a said:
Personally whenever I watched Ampadu, I never thought he looked better than Callum or Jordan, and would rather have either of them any day but I know neither will be here next season.

So Derek Adams has two Champions League standard youngsters on his books, but stubbornly refuses to play them. For what reason exactly? Ampadu clearly has something very special to be 17 years old and thriving in the notoriously youth-UNfriendly environment of the Chelsea first team squad.

I'm honestly not sure you 1) realise the incredibly fine margins involved in professional football, it's not enough to be an exceptionally talented player, and 2) the vast chasm between youth football and professional League 1 football.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
memory man":26mal8n5 said:
Some years ago I read or heard Jimmy Hill explaining how difficult it was it to make it as a professional footballer in the first team of an English League club. Two things stuck in my mind. He said or wrote along the following lines. "If every one of the 92 clubs had 28 professionals on their books (and a lot have less) then that means that there is never more than around 2500 of them in any one season. Now multiply the number of 16 year olds who leave school every year by the number of UK schools and you will see how hard it is." He said there were more bank managers than professional footballers (but that is probably no longer true due to all the bank closures). He then wrote or said: "Think about your own school and try and list all the boys from there who made it to a first team in the English League." It is just an unfortunate fact of life that there are more looking for contracts than spaces. So to get where these boys are now means they are special talents already. But the next few steps mean they have to move from special to very special and then to exceptional. And attitude is important too as Derek Adams pointed out in his assessment of the three last October. His words showed there is more than ability with a football to consider and that is the bit we cannot see from the sideline once a week.

True words--I played with some brilliant footballers over the years (I'm sure we all have), some of whom had unbelievable talent but never made the step into professional football--I was a decent amateur/semi pro player but never good enough for pro. The only one who made it who I used to play with was the late great Laurie Cunningham--and he really was special.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Wow, that's an impressive name drop :thumbup:

What a story his life and career was, and what a sad end.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Biggs":q4ar45rn said:

Thought I'd throw it in to show off Biggs :) He lived near us in Finsbury park and we used to play street football with him and then later against him at secondary school level--couldn't get near the bugger. He had the skill, the charisma and the attitude even as a young boy.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Old Gunner":38c52m10 said:
Biggs":38c52m10 said:

Thought I'd throw it in to show off Biggs :) He lived near us in Finsbury park and we used to play street football with him and then later against him at secondary school level--couldn't get near the bugger. He had the skill, the charisma and the attitude even as a young boy.

Rightly so, I'd be dropping that into conversations at every opportunity. My closest experience to that is playing football with someone who had trials at Aston Villa. It goes without saying he was almost superhuman at school and in the local football leagues.

Didn't make it though, which brings us full circle back to the discussion. It's nigh on impossible to make it at professional level, even if you appear to be insanely talented. I suspect that's at the root of Mark's views, though it's also clear that there is a huge problem in English football (including Argyle) in general giving young players a chance.

Aug 26, 2011
I'm sorry Mark but you have just lost any credibility you might ever have had.

You'd rather have Callam or Jordan over Ampadu :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Having watched Jordan at Helston tonight, I presume you mean Bently, I do not think he will be getting another contract and is a million miles, if not galaxies away from Ampadu.

I first saw Ampadu as an 8 year old and he banged one in top corner from 15 yards and thought it's not often you see a left footer, and a couple of minutes later he did the same with his right foot - always stood out for me - an old head on young shoulders and just read the game so well.

So lets just analyse what you said and then people can come to their own conclusions: you'd rather have Jordan who at three months off 19 has managed TWO appearances for the Argyle's first team, and may have got sent off in one, over Ampadu who, at 14 played for England U16's, as a 15/16 year old played 8 times for Wales U17's & U19's, as a 15 year old made debut for Exeter and played 8 times last season and at 17 years and six days became one of Chelseas youngest ever debutants.

Now not only do you disagree with me and other posters, us amateurs of the game, but you also disagree with the England youth coaches, Wales youth coaches, Tidsdale and Conte oh, and Ian Rush who said he had the potential to become world class. I would love to hear why you rate them above Ampadu.

I wouldn't be surprised if them up the road get a deal that will be worth close to Ā£5 million in the end with appearances clauses etc unless they get stitched up.

Although I did recently post in your favour against a rather unfair post, I am afraid Mark, you are DELUDED and BLINKERED, but after freezing my arse off watching at Helston tonight I must thank you for making me laugh.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
MarkMatthews":x3259wed said:
a specific written, target for the new bloke such as we want 2 players developed from the academy, into the first team by the end of next season.

Why replace Adams when he's met your target already? Sangster and Fletcher are first team players.

Jan 25, 2011
plymouth
Thomas Edwards":2az46ajv said:
MarkMatthews":2az46ajv said:
a specific written, target for the new bloke such as we want 2 players developed from the academy, into the first team by the end of next season.

Why replace Adams when he's met your target already? Sangster and Fletcher are first team players.
Cooper has played as well.