Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Aug 26, 2008
Guernsey
The Chesterfield game was my first live Argyle action in 2 years since I left Plymouth for Guernsey. I have watched both televised games in the FA Cup against Stourbridge and Dorchester. As such, my opinions are based solely on this.

I have kept myself to myself on the whole Fletcher in/out debate as I'm not best positioned to give a truly informed opinion on the matter, so can only go on what I saw against Chesterfield.

We absolutely bossed that game in all areas of the pitch. Hourihane and Molsesly dominated the play in the middle of the park. Molsesly gave the typical loanee debut performance and was the stand-out for me - competent in possession, always in and around the play and appeared to be the only one with any true urgency when we were chasing a goal.

Defence looked solid. I've always preferred Bhasera in a more advanced position and that opinion hasn't changed. Berry and PCH had good link up down the right. Blanchard was the villain for much of the first half. We were getting a lot of joy out of linking up with Chadwick through the middle, but Max too often hoofed it long. In the second half, he tried to hit the channels, but Chadders isn't that type of player. Not enough men in the box for me when the ball came in from wide positions. Better movement required down the middle in the final third.

Nelson and Blanchard not tight enough to each other for their goal. When the ball comes in to a lone striker in the box, you've got to be tighter as a central defensive pair. If their man is allowed to shift the direction of the ball, then the other centre back has to be in a position to intercept. Once Richards shrugged off Max it was an all too easy finish - turned out to be the defining moment of the game.

The substitutions were sadly ineffective. Lennox seems to be an out and out winger but appeared to want to get too involved in the play down the middle when he came on. Griffiths and Madjo had no chemistry together and the team didn't look like they knew what they were doing going forward. From what I've seen/heard/read of Madjo, he would appear to be our best option if we persist with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

All in all, I thought I saw a very capable team in green that tried to play football under dreadful conditions. Just one lapse in concentration and it cost us. I'm quietly confident that a team is in for a real pasting off us if that performance is consistently replicated- hopefully it comes sooner rather that later.

As for Fletcher in/out? Well I didn't see too much wrong, and I've certainly seen far worse Argyle sides. Fletcher is still a young and inexperienced manager and is therefore learning as he goes along. As such he should be afforded the time. I think he did a decent job under difficult circumstances last season and deserves a crack of the whip this time around. I would be tempted to give him until Christmas to see if this type of performance can bring the results; if not, then a more experienced manager/coaching team with the same footballing ethos should be considered moving forward.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
PilgrimTelf":43445cud said:
The Chesterfield game was my first live Argyle action in 2 years since I left Plymouth for Guernsey. I have watched both televised games in the FA Cup against Stourbridge and Dorchester. As such, my opinions are based solely on this.

I have kept myself to myself on the whole Fletcher in/out debate as I'm not best positioned to give a truly informed opinion on the matter, so can only go on what I saw against Chesterfield.

We absolutely bossed that game in all areas of the pitch. Hourihane and Molsesly dominated the play in the middle of the park. Molsesly gave the typical loanee debut performance and was the stand-out for me - competent in possession, always in and around the play and appeared to be the only one with any true urgency when we were chasing a goal.

Defence looked solid. I've always preferred Bhasera in a more advanced position and that opinion hasn't changed. Berry and PCH had good link up down the right. Blanchard was the villain for much of the first half. We were getting a lot of joy out of linking up with Chadwick through the middle, but Max too often hoofed it long. In the second half, he tried to hit the channels, but Chadders isn't that type of player. Not enough men in the box for me when the ball came in from wide positions. Better movement required down the middle in the final third.

Nelson and Blanchard not tight enough to each other for their goal. When the ball comes in to a lone striker in the box, you've got to be tighter as a central defensive pair. If their man is allowed to shift the direction of the ball, then the other centre back has to be in a position to intercept. Once Richards shrugged off Max it was an all too easy finish - turned out to be the defining moment of the game.

The substitutions were sadly ineffective. Lennox seems to be an out and out winger but appeared to want to get too involved in the play down the middle when he came on. Griffiths and Madjo had no chemistry together and the team didn't look like they knew what they were doing going forward. From what I've seen/heard/read of Madjo, he would appear to be our best option if we persist with the 4-2-3-1 formation.

All in all, I thought I saw a very capable team in green that tried to play football under dreadful conditions. Just one lapse in concentration and it cost us. I'm quietly confident that a team is in for a real pasting off us if that performance is consistently replicated- hopefully it comes sooner rather that later.

As for Fletcher in/out? Well I didn't see too much wrong, and I've certainly seen far worse Argyle sides. Fletcher is still a young and inexperienced manager and is therefore learning as he goes along. As such he should be afforded the time. I think he did a decent job under difficult circumstances last season and deserves a crack of the whip this time around. I would be tempted to give him until Christmas to see if this type of performance can bring the results; if not, then a more experienced manager/coaching team with the same footballing ethos should be considered moving forward.

This pretty much precisely mirrors my view. IMO there is a lot of nonsense being spoken at the moment about our style of play; certainly the results aren't there but we are creating chances that are just not being converted into goals. Generally the line between us winning and losing has been a fine one and it may be that minimal change rather than major disruption is all that's needed to move us over that line.