Brief Synopsis | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I noticed that too.

I thought it was a fair and honest assessment from Schuey about last night, in a pretty cordial interview considering the game wasn't long over. But he certainly seemed to take exception to an innocuous and reasonable question about Mayor, with a terse response. I just wondered what was behind it, if anything.

I reckon SS was just pee’d off and didn’t want to continue the interview much longer.

I’m not reading anything untoward into his response about Danny Mayor.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
I reckon SS was just pee’d off and didn’t want to continue the interview much longer.

I’m not reading anything untoward into his response about Danny Mayor.
Yep, fair enough - I imagine the last thing he wanted to do was to front up with a journo immediately after that shocker. And I thought he was spot-on and honest with his assessment, pretty much. Fair play to him.

Reactions: DavidDally
Feb 8, 2005
Let's give Charlton a bit of credit here.

We were initially successful in harrying their backline and got the ball off them on several occasions. However, we did not do much with it, except for one shooting opportunity which went over the bar.....again.

They then did the same to us and we lost the ball on several occasions, but their finishing was much better, and we found ourselves one nil down quite quickly. As soon as Wilson was red carded the game went away from us and the successful penalty sealed our fate.

Ten men against eleven was never going to prevail and their worldy on the cusp of half time put the match to bed.

They continued to harry our back line and were able to add to the score.

The pitch was quite wide, which usually helps us, but with us being a man down they were able to just pass it around at their leisure, and it was always going to be a one sided affair.

Whittaker showed that they relaxed a bit, but a comeback was never going to happen.

Had we remained with eleven men, and were able to continue to carry on to harry their backline into making mistakes, the scoreline may have been different.

However, it didn't and we move on to the next match. Shuey rested a few players from this game, and during the game also, and we should be well up for the next game on Saturday.

Charlton are a good side and we got beat by the better team, mainly because of their man advantage, but it will be interesting what happens at the return match, and in particular, where both teams are in the league when that happens.

Jul 12, 2016
When we have faced 10 men in the past we don’t seem to have much of an advantage. Why when we lose a player do the opposition tend to have a field day?

Feb 8, 2005
When we have faced 10 men in the past we don’t seem to have much of an advantage. Why when we lose a player do the opposition tend to have a field day?
I know what you mean, Oldage, but the opposition usually defend what they have got, a point or three, and make life difficult for us to break down.
No good going down to 10 men when 2-0 down and trying to defend, is it?
Charlton's ground is wide and therefore has plenty of space to play with, thereby allowing them to use that space to their advantage. ie play the ball around and tire out the opposition until the extra man creates space for a pop at goal.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Why are Charltons attendances so inconsistent, when we played them away last season they had over 26000 attending, so half that attended last night l.

Last season Charlton were offering free seats.....bring someone for nothing....plus school offers etc.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Gillesphey had a poor game.....but his support from Mumba was literally none existent.

He stood for long periods on the touch line on the half-way line.....he looked like a little lost boy at times....waiting for the ball to be given to him...without going back and looking for it himself.

Also I had no inkling that Randell was playing without looking at my match programme

There is something about Argyle playing at Charlton that might need an exorcist to deal with.

Last season Argyle 16 games unbeaten....Charlton in disarray off the pitch and with another new manager...performing badly....and what happens they win 2-0 at a canter.....they were so ready for the taking and we couldn't even make a match of it.......2007/8 season was the last time we won in the league there......did someone pee up against the Sam Bartram statue after that win.....and the football gods took note.

Reactions: Andy B.
Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
It’s amazing how we see things differently. Having had some time to think about it after being very deflated Tuesday evening and spoken to my lad who was at the game – my take on it would be like this…….

The match started brightly with both sides very open but trying to play decent football - albeit with BOTH teams giving the ball away sloppily at times. I remember thinking it’s going to be a high scoring, entertaining game if it stays like this. Unfortunately the opener went to them – somewhat against the run of play I thought. We then had quite a decent spell camped in their half as they often gave the ball away badly but we didn’t really create any decent chances. Then came the penalty and the red card which was a massive blow and obviously the chances of us getting anything from the game virtually evaporated.

Yes, we paid the price from making mistakes for us to get to that point – but then again, they were equally sloppy at times and they couldn’t have complained if it was the other way around and we’d gone a goal up and them down to 10 men facing a penalty. poo happens sometimes. But the 10-men gave it a good go I thought and continued to battle and did try to play a bit. Then their full-back goes and scores a worldy just before the break …. Sometimes it’s just not your night.

I think Schuey gave up on this game and made changes at HT with an eye to weekend by taking off Randell & Hardie then Azaz just after the restart , which is understandable but disappointing for the night and I feared a real battering at that point. There was a good bonus from Galloway getting a half (and he looked decent), and Whitaker getting a full game & scoring a cracking goal - but Butcher struggled in the middle with a tiring Houghton and it was always going to be difficult for Jephcott & Ennis. A bad night all round – but not disastrous or necessarily indicative of things to come.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
It’s amazing how we see things differently. Having had some time to think about it after being very deflated Tuesday evening and spoken to my lad who was at the game – my take on it would be like this…….

The match started brightly with both sides very open but trying to play decent football - albeit with BOTH teams giving the ball away sloppily at times. I remember thinking it’s going to be a high scoring, entertaining game if it stays like this. Unfortunately the opener went to them – somewhat against the run of play I thought. We then had quite a decent spell camped in their half as they often gave the ball away badly but we didn’t really create any decent chances. Then came the penalty and the red card which was a massive blow and obviously the chances of us getting anything from the game virtually evaporated.

Yes, we paid the price from making mistakes for us to get to that point – but then again, they were equally sloppy at times and they couldn’t have complained if it was the other way around and we’d gone a goal up and them down to 10 men facing a penalty. poo happens sometimes. But the 10-men gave it a good go I thought and continued to battle and did try to play a bit. Then their full-back goes and scores a worldy just before the break …. Sometimes it’s just not your night.

I think Schuey gave up on this game and made changes at HT with an eye to weekend by taking off Randell & Hardie then Azaz just after the restart , which is understandable but disappointing for the night and I feared a real battering at that point. There was a good bonus from Galloway getting a half (and he looked decent), and Whitaker getting a full game & scoring a cracking goal - but Butcher struggled in the middle with a tiring Houghton and it was always going to be difficult for Jephcott & Ennis. A bad night all round – but not disastrous or necessarily indicative of things to come.
That's exactly how I saw it.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
No Matchday Moments or full match replay on Argyle TV so far which is understandable but it would have been interesting to see some coverage of the match situations.

Jul 27, 2021
It’s nothing we haven’t already seen. And by a number of these players.

People think your being negative if you talk about budgets but look at our league and see how many other teams play 3ATB or a 4ATB formstion where they play from the back. Then look at who they got in those key defensive position, how much they cost and how much they are on.

We all know it’s was stupid to play the passes they did tonight. Yet they keep on doing it. Not because they do it on purpose. They just aren’t good enough to execute the game plan without making key mistakes. Not every game they will get punished like Butcher’s mistake against Barnsley second half, but they keep on giving away these opportunities.

And the problem is when your not a free scoring side, but your playing an attack minded formation that leaves you exposed unfortunately your results will be inconsistent.

We have good players. Who can play well on their day. Unfortunately, they are just inconsistent and make horrific mistakes. Coaching can help. Yet let’s be honest tonight we saw goals we been seeing for years.

Whats the answer? Better players. Unfortunately, we need to be patient for this.

I thought there were signs in that first half where we took the game to them. Showed some good front foot mentality. Unfortunately, we let them off the hook with bad decisions. Not just at the back. But also going forward.

We just not a side that plays badly and can get a result. And that is what the good teams do. I still enjoying our new style. It has much potential. I just think overall to execute the game plan consistently we will need better defenders.
The way Argyle played at the back reminded so much of the last relegation team

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
The way Argyle played at the back reminded so much of the last relegation team
So you're suggesting that a team with extras in it which ended last season with 80 points is akin to a relegation team the next season?
There is no way we are bad enough for relegation, we just aren't good enough to get 80 points this season.

Reactions: Devizes Green

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog

This is such a good post and evaluation of the game. I often read 'Ave IT''s posts and wish I had written them myself!

Reactions: Piper 54
Aug 8, 2013
With regard to playing from the back, that most cultured of backs Alan Hansen once
said something along the lines of "If there are several options, choose the best one, and if there
are two options, choose the better one, but if there's ANY doubt, launch it". Maybe sound advice
for the team playing under the current system.

Reactions: Railway sleeper