Brief Synopsis | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I don’t want to be too critical at this early stage- but Fleetwood ( 1-2) and Charlton (1-5) are in NO WAY better sides than Argyle, in my opinion. On the contrary.

I do think that Shuey and his team need to roll up the old blue- print for away games, and bin- it .... and come up with a new and better blue print.

It’s not about playing the ‘beautiful game’ away from home ( save that for home matches).

Think luggy and ‘pointage’ - keep it tight and rock solid at the back - and I think we can do some serious damage on - the-road with our quick strikers ( which will hopefully be re-inforced before 1september), by hitting hard-and-fast on-the-break......
But what actual evidence can you offer that Argyle are a better side than Fleetwood and/or Charlton?

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
If you take the first 30 mins of the game l think we were well in the game.

Numerous chances they had came from us giving the ball away.

We conceded 5 so the talk is about defenders.

However, we are suppose to be an attacking side. And we had so much possession in that first 30 mins and we just simply made bad choices in the attacking third. We got into some really good postions.

From the first minute, Hardie found himself clear on the edge of the box but didn’t shoot. Edwards and Mumba got in good crossing positions but never found a green shirt.

I know defensively we were poor with our decision making but it wasn’t good in the final third either. Like if you see Charlton’s first goal from our mistake the player plays a beautiful ball to Stockley. Spots the pass straight away. I’m not sure if we would punish teams in the same way.

Sep 22, 2020
the league is usually in order of teams that concede the least goals. i thought we had learnt that last season. you cannot look to be free flowing and scoring lots every game. sometimes you just have to dig in, have five at the back and be hard to beat.

Reactions: Railway sleeper
Dec 30, 2020
I'm really not sure about criticism of the formation/approach.

We could have played exactly the same way with exactly the same personnel yesterday, and if Gillesphey and Cooper had chosen to launch the ball down the pitch at key moments rather than play risky passes, we'd probably have gone in 0-0 at half time, 11 v 11, having had lots of possession, some good sights of goal, multiple corners etc and feeling pretty good.

It was poor individual decision making and execution more than anything tactical

That said, I really didn't like the selection of the midfield four - Whittaker, Azaz, Randell and Houghton are all passing/dribbling midfielders, not in the team for their defensive qualities and three of them are 21 year old kids.

I don't know if that had much bearing on the result yesterday but in general I think we need more of an experienced, ball-winning, physical presence in there (thinking particularly of Butcher and Camara) especially away from home. I hope we don't use that same four in combination again.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
What was the scoop with Schuey's response to the question about Mayor in the post-match interview. He gave a pretty terse response. A falling out, or is DM just carrying a knock and the manager doesn't want to give much away about it?
I noticed that too.

I thought it was a fair and honest assessment from Schuey about last night, in a pretty cordial interview considering the game wasn't long over. But he certainly seemed to take exception to an innocuous and reasonable question about Mayor, with a terse response. I just wondered what was behind it, if anything.

May 16, 2016
If I were looking for a straw to grasp, I'd say that at least, other than last night, I know we're better than that and can play nice football and win.

In a few months time when we might be complaining about FA cup ticket priorities, there's about 1200 GA that can use the "yes but I was there when......" argument.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Easy for us armchair managers to criticise but a lot on here,including myself,have been concerned about our lack of physicality for a long time and we still need a midfield enforcer and a physical CF who can hold the ball with this new formation.I appreciate that there are budget constraints but we still need these type of players

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Humiliated.

The sheer arrogance and audacity to believe we could be that naive with and without the call and get away with it.

Tye players and staff deserve that grounding.

Most of the passing was woeful and the unwillingness to close down take it back to basics were outrageous.

A reminder we aren’t as good as we sometimes think and have to adapt to certain aspects like direct high pressing.

SS got it wrong tonight in his setup away from home. In hindsight yes, but it was clear within the first 10 minutes what we were lacking.

Why didn’t he make a change after Wilson’s red?

Bug lessons and I hope it’s still a raw feeling for the team because that was disastrous.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We do seem to swing quite wildly between being very good and being very bad, not just this season but at times last season as well. It's quite rare for example that we produce a middle of the road, average performance over 90 minutes. It would be good if we could close that gap. The wild swings will only frustrate fans because expectations shoot up after performances like on Saturday and then plummet with performances like last night's. For example I think people would be a lot more mellow had we won with a lesser performance against Peterborough and only lost narrowly last night, obviously the outcome is the same in terms of points on the board, but the way that people react is different.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Six inches makes all the difference (so I'm told!). If the shot for the pen had been six inches further left it wouldn't have hit Wilson's arm and we'd have been lauding a brilliant goal-line block. No penalty, no red card, and we might well have gone in at half time only 1-0 down. A good rollicking from Schuey, a tactical change or two and we may well have got something from the game.
Fine margins. I know it might not have panned out this way but I don't think we need to over-analyse what appears to be a 5-1 drubbing when it could so easily have been different. Let's just hope that we learn something from this game - hopefully that, from time to time, it's OK to play long from the back when there's no easy short ball on!

Reactions: Andy70
Dec 3, 2005
Six inches makes all the difference (so I'm told!). If the shot for the pen had been six inches further left it wouldn't have hit Wilson's arm and we'd have been lauding a brilliant goal-line block. No penalty, no red card, and we might well have gone in at half time only 1-0 down. A good rollicking from Schuey, a tactical change or two and we may well have got something from the game.
Fine margins. I know it might not have panned out this way but I don't think we need to over-analyse what appears to be a 5-1 drubbing when it could so easily have been different. Let's just hope that we learn something from this game - hopefully that, from time to time, it's OK to play long from the back when there's no easy short ball on!
Have you seen the film - Sliding Doors - brilliant film about 'What If's'

Sep 12, 2015
What,if I may ask is the difference between are last match of last season and this 1-5 drubbing. Only asking.

Reactions: Devizes Green

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth following last nights bout of collective clunkery, but we have to get realsies here. We are a mid table League One outfit right now. We were last season too. Our ceiling with the current squad and budget is 7th at best. We just need to accept that.

If the club has any aspirations to go higher, it needs a level of investment that the owners do not seem willing to make right now. Fair enough.

We lack pace at the back, we are prone to individual errors, we at times have an absent midfield and we lack a strong CF. It will be a patchy season. But without investment in the squad things will not get better. Money talks etc. And this is becoming more apparent every season. Sure, there are clubs that manage to do well on peanuts, but those are becoming less and less common.

I like the way we play, I like the vibe around the club right now, and I'm happy to live with the issues and deficiencies. At least we are solvent and we are stable. Right now, that's enough for me.

We'd last 5 minutes in the Championship if we went up this season. We are no where near ready for it. And that's the truth of it.

Reactions: David Fisher