Brief Synopsis | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
With regard to playing from the back, that most cultured of backs Alan Hansen once
said something along the lines of "If there are several options, choose the best one, and if there
are two options, choose the better one, but if there's ANY doubt, launch it". Maybe sound advice
for the team playing under the current system.
This is true, but it's easily said IF you are good at quickly evaluating a range of hypothetical possibilities and determining which is the best or better. If you are not then all you can do is launch it. But if you are told NOT to launch it then that isn't an option and you have to make a judgement and will likely make the wrong one some of the time. One of the things that will make players BETTER at making judgements is experience as it gives them a bigger database of previous scenarios to draw upon and more quickly. So, unless we are going to sign top quality ball-playing centrebacks (which is obviously impossible) and IF we are going to continue to play out from the back (which we are) then we just have to accept that players making the wrong judgement is a necessary part of the process of them learning to make better ones.

Jul 27, 2021
Football is all about fine margins - but has soon as we face power, pace, directness, aggression we morph into a gibbering wreck of a team

We could not handle Charlton period- Jayden Stockley must have been licking his lips as he was given the freedom of the 6yd, 18yd box
Maybe their early goal knocked us confidence wise, by why oh why did the players continue with the rinse, repeat keystone, cavalier way of playing out from the back - were they hoping to get to half time only 1 nil down or were they thinking Charlton would run out of steam
Would the game have panned out differently if Willo had not got sent off & would they have continued their toying with us so easily in the 2nd half or would we have seen Schuey showing his hand & making tactical adjustments to try & get something from the game
Instead the reality was 45 minutes of poor decision making , gifting goals & going down to 10 men- Schuey was left with damage limitation & a game plan with 10 men in a game that had gone
Schuey now has plenty to mull over- it was not just 1 or 2 players that had an off day- it was the entire team- how does he go about fixing it, does he go back to the drawing board or does he tinker
I don't think any of us take any satisfaction in last night's capitulation - I am more interested in the players reaction come Saturday 3pm (weather permitting if FGR pitch is up to muster)
Spot on

Reactions: Greendawe

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
So you're suggesting that a team with extras in it which ended last season with 80 points is akin to a relegation team the next season?
There is no way we are bad enough for relegation, we just aren't good enough to get 80 points this season.

Yet we are currently averaging an expected 69 points for the season. Should we beat FGR then we would be on course for 82.8 pts for the season.

Feb 13, 2021
That performance obviously dreadful but at least it was the whole team and not a few individuals who were well off it! I dont think we can start saying we have poor defenders! If the forwards don't score which we have not exactly been good at yet, it puts pressure on us! The midfield was awful and that puts pressure on the defence!
I think the key was not taking either of a couple of chances early doors and a dreadful, awfull performance by our midfield! So that leaves the defence who turned into a bag of nerves, especially Gilly, but WHY was a tricky winger like that allowed to run at him time and time again! He would have skinned many a defender given that opportunity, so i wouldn't be too hard on Gilly. For me it was the key players like Randell and Houghton along with Hardie who could have made that game a lot less painful! We are always gonna get caught with wing backs so far forward unless they make that risk worthwhile! Which we didnt!