Brief Synopsis!!! (Wigan) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wigan)

Apr 9, 2011
ping_g5":x23akonz said:
arrythewurzel":x23akonz said:
Why wasn’t their player sent off for the foul on Carey which led to penalty? No attempt to play ball? Prevented a goal scoring opportunity? Another rule change?
couple seasons back that would have been a red card, for denying a goal scoring opportunity. I think the rule was changed as technically a goal scoring opportunity wasn't denied as we got a free pop from 12 yards. I think it's now only a red when a player is clearly going to score (ie round the keeper and get's brought down) or the player make no effort to play the ball. However, from what I've seen it's been very inconsistently enforced by refs at all levels.

looking at the replay, i can't see the player making any effort to get the ball so possibly could have been red.
Would have been had it been one of ours!! Remember Edwards v Oxford sending off & a penalty to them cost us the match

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Just seen the highlights. That should 100% be a red on the penalty decision. Carey's 4/5 yards out and taken down from behind as he goes to shoot. Nailed on.

For there goals, Matthews should do better on the first, Bradley gets sucked towards the runner and loses his man on the second, the third is really unlucky.

Sarcevic's effort on goal was hideous after some lovely control. Oh well... onto next week!

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Deacster":2e7hiy4k said:
argobenz":2e7hiy4k said:
Deacster":2e7hiy4k said:
The best team lost. Referee was inept, Wigan cynical and streetwise but other than the goals they didn't threaten. Stick a decent midfielder or two in there and we are a seriously decent team. Ness a passenger as always, Sarcevic did so much good work in filling holes ans nicking the ball only to give it away, always gets in good positions but cant finish.

That's a green tint if ever I heard one.

Truth is, we looked really good first half, but the 2nd goal before the break knocked us, and we never recovered, except for a GC free kick we didn't create anything like a chance in the second half.

Funny enough I'm not overly disappointed, although I'd argue 1-2 would have been fairer. As there were parts of that game where you couldn't tell which side were top, so Argyle are definitely finding their feet in this league.

That said, they were a good side and 33, 15, 9 were class, I expect them to romp away with the league. And the good news is we've played them twice so they will be playing teams around us so bloody good luck to them.

On the down side for them what crap support for top of the league, they must have been really envious of a very good green army attendance. :scarf:
No green tint, the better team did lose.

Sorry but 1-3 proves you wrong.

I'll give you we played well and the result flattered them but they were better in many areas.

The good news is, if we played like that every week I'd expect a top ten finish.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I was excited by what I saw yesterday--some entertaining classy stuff. New boy Vyner could be a hell of an acquisition---little bit too cocky on occasions and will need to address that, but on first view one of the best players I've seen at HP over the last 7 years. Also, I don't care what anybody says--watching some of the stuff Lameiras does is worth the entrance fee.

Jun 14, 2004
Saltash
argobenz":umb65xpo said:
Deacster":umb65xpo said:
argobenz":umb65xpo said:
Deacster":umb65xpo said:
The best team lost. Referee was inept, Wigan cynical and streetwise but other than the goals they didn't threaten. Stick a decent midfielder or two in there and we are a seriously decent team. Ness a passenger as always, Sarcevic did so much good work in filling holes ans nicking the ball only to give it away, always gets in good positions but cant finish.

That's a green tint if ever I heard one.

Truth is, we looked really good first half, but the 2nd goal before the break knocked us, and we never recovered, except for a GC free kick we didn't create anything like a chance in the second half.

Funny enough I'm not overly disappointed, although I'd argue 1-2 would have been fairer. As there were parts of that game where you couldn't tell which side were top, so Argyle are definitely finding their feet in this league.

That said, they were a good side and 33, 15, 9 were class, I expect them to romp away with the league. And the good

news is we've played them twice so they will be playing teams around us so bloody good luck to them.

totally agree with that, Wigans quality up front was the main difference.... :thumbs:

On the down side for them what crap support for top of the league, they must have been really envious of a very good green army attendance. :scarf:
No green tint, the better team did lose.

Sorry but 1-3 proves you wrong.

I'll give you we played well and the result flattered them but they were better in many areas.

The good news is, if we played like that every week I'd expect a top ten finish.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Old Gunner":28s8rhsi said:
I was excited by what I saw yesterday--some entertaining classy stuff. New boy Vyner could be a hell of an acquisition---little bit too cocky on occasions and will need to address that, but on first view one of the best players I've seen at HP over the last 7 years. Also, I don't care what anybody says--watching some of the stuff Lameiras does is worth the entrance fee.
I agree with you OG. Lameiras does misplace passes but his vision is superb and he is capable of opening up a defence with a killer pass. That skill is crucial at any level and I would like to see him given 90 minutes. Maybe he does tire but he was more likely to open up their defence than Jamie Ness, for example.

Aug 17, 2006
Why were we playing a new loanee rather than Songo'o who has been immense in defence this season?
Nothing against Vyner at all. Should we not have used our own proven player in such a high profile match. I was not there yesterday I live 400 miles away so can't comment on Vyner apart from seeing the highlights and reading the reports. Does anyone else agree?

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
esmer":1mvz9ndn said:
We played a very good team yesterday who defend exceptionally well and have quality all over the pitch. It's hugely encouraging that we matched them and overall had the better of the game but we can't expect to beat a team that good if we give them three soft goals. Particularly encouraging for me was the superiority we had in the middle of the park and the performances of Fox, Ness and Sarcevic were excellent and very encouraging. The worry is how much Edwards will be missed but I came away form the match with the feeling that we are only two or three signings away from being a very good team.

The way we knocked it around at times was a joy to watch. OK, so the close intricate one touch stuff didn't always come off, but it was great watching an Argyle side trying to do that.

Also brilliant to see the keeper rolling the ball out to the full back's or Vyner almost every time.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
chester":2rqtjp1r said:
Why were we playing a new loanee rather than Songo'o who has been immense in defence this season?
Nothing against Vyner at all. Should we not have used our own proven player in such a high profile match. I was not there yesterday I live 400 miles away so can't comment on Vyner apart from seeing the highlights and reading the reports. Does anyone else agree?

Love Songo'o, but Vyner oozed class for a young man. Comfortable on the ball and always making himself available==this guy loves having the ball. Only criticism was I detected perhaps a little arrogance--and he got caught in possession a few times.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Our goal - no attempt to play the ball & Carey was about to pull the trigger, should have been a red card.

Wigan's first - Get the feeling if McCormick conceded that one he'd be getting criticised. I like Matthews but he also punched quite a few balls in which should have been simple catches.

Wigan's second - Bradley seems to get sucked out by the wingers run leaving a big gap, he had a good debut but I think Vyner could have done more to get a foot in.

Wigan's third - Not a lot you can do about that, would have been a simple block or save if it wasn't for the touch.

We had the better of the game and it was definitely a good collective effort, but unfortunately Wigan put the ball in the net when they had to and that's why they're top.