Brief Synopsis!!! (Wigan) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Wigan)

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Wigan’s class outweighed our dominance I am afraid. You can’t fault how we played and what we did, but when Wigan broke there were multiple class players controlling the ball and running off it and they looked like scoring and sadly did.

I thought all our midfielders played well today, but the issue remains that none of them individually offer what is needed in controlling the pace of the game.

We can rotate that existing group all we want, and as today they can all play well, but we are missing a Toums and it hurts. Unless we fill that hole we will continue to lose games that we dominate and start looking downwards in the table at the end of the day instead of upwards.

Didn’t like the Wigan players attitude, but they did what they needed to get the result and begrudging I applaud that as it helped win them the game. Oh, how I miss being that team at the top.

Jan 30, 2016
Disagree with the synopsis ref Lamiras -as soon as he went off Argyle lost much of their goal threat. Thought the we huffed and puffed, played some rather good football at times, but could not blow the house down.
I think our midfielders need some shooting practice in training next week as we did have some good opportunities to shoot but did not do so -and when we did the shot was wide or flew over the bar.
Referee and linesmen were poor today -thought that they missed some blatant fouls and also a second penalty for Argyle.
Wigan a very good team though and we gave them a run for their money.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Deacster":17khe9bu said:
The best team lost. Referee was inept, Wigan cynical and streetwise but other than the goals they didn't threaten. Stick a decent midfielder or two in there and we are a seriously decent team. Ness a passenger as always, Sarcevic did so much good work in filling holes ans nicking the ball only to give it away, always gets in good positions but cant finish.

That's a green tint if ever I heard one.

Truth is, we looked really good first half, but the 2nd goal before the break knocked us, and we never recovered, except for a GC free kick we didn't create anything like a chance in the second half.

Funny enough I'm not overly disappointed, although I'd argue 1-2 would have been fairer. As there were parts of that game where you couldn't tell which side were top, so Argyle are definitely finding their feet in this league.

That said, they were a good side and 33, 15, 9 were class, I expect them to romp away with the league. And the good news is we've played them twice so they will be playing teams around us so bloody good luck to them.

On the down side for them what crap support for top of the league, they must have been really envious of a very good green army attendance. :scarf:

Apr 6, 2009
skynet":1zv1mxu2 said:
Wigan were just that little bit better than us where it mattered, solid defence and breaking quickly and clinically finishing their first two chances. Their central defender Dan Burn 33 was very good but Taylor gave him a helluva game. I thought Ness was OK. Some of the off the ball antics by Wigan were disgraceful and the linesman on the Lyndhurst side was a clown along with the ref. We played well but our weaknesses in centre midfield are glaringly obvious.

Linesman the other side was terrible too. The foul on Carey was a red card but apparently he or the ref didn't see it. 4th official seemed to but has no authority to make any decision. Had they gone down to 10 in the first half a point would have been doable.

Disappointing score as it doesn't reflect the game. Wigan are class and will go up but we played really well and any other team we would have beaten them playing like that.

Paul cooks comment is exactly right. He's a very honest manager in the interviews afterwards even if he's a clown on pitch side

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
very enjoyable and entertaining match which i think wigan just deserved to win as they were superior in the second half.great atmosphere and congratulations to all participants.my ratings;

Remi Matthews - 6
Oscar Threlkeld - 7
Zak Vyner - 7
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 9
Jamie Ness - 6
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Graham Carey - 8
Ryan Taylor - 6

Can somebody educate me. I lost track of the times Taylor was penalised for backing into the central defender marking him, but every time he was jumping from a standing position with no backward momentum. So where is the foul? Or am I misunderstanding the rule.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
AlanMS":mjdu20c2 said:
Disagree with the synopsis ref Lamiras -as soon as he went off Argyle lost much of their goal threat. Thought the we huffed and puffed, played some rather good football at times, but could not blow the house down.
I think our midfielders need some shooting practice in training next week as we did have some good opportunities to shoot but did not do so -and when we did the shot was wide or flew over the bar.
Referee and linesmen were poor today -thought that they missed some blatant fouls and also a second penalty for Argyle.
Wigan a very good team though and we gave them a run for their money.

I totally agree with this, I posted recently some shocking rates of scoring in the pre game warm up's, we were taking 21 shots to score 4 times and most missed the goal! The fact that this was from 18 yards or less is really worrying.

What the hell the coaches do with them I don't know, surely training drills where they hit the target from the edge of the box with both feet would be useful.

And while they are at it how about trying to slip a ball into a dangerous areas so the forwards can attack it, instead of just to the feet of RT with two monsters looming. Mix it up, as we are so easy to stop as the majority of our goals come from GC (So cut out his supply) or from our defenders on corners, we are unfortunately a bit predictable.

Nov 22, 2006
My first game since the win over Northampton, the football we played was much much better than earlier in the season, we were as good as if not better than Wigan for parts of the game but to see us concede one soft goal is bad enough, three is disappointing.

Vyner I though filled in quite well decent young centre back, David Fox was brilliant so calm and composed on the ball but I feel needs a bit more help in the centre of midfield, Sarcevic and Ness had similar games they weren't bad but I think it should be a midfield 3 of Fox/Sarcevic or Ness/ AN OTHER (Say it quietly but I am not a fan of the idea of Songo'o in midfield not from the start anyway)

Carey had a good game as always but I thought Lameiras was guilty of trying to be a bit to clever at times and gave the ball away to softly, all these flicks and tricks are great when you're winning comfortably not when the game is level or we are behind and Taylor put in another hard working fully committed performance, he is perfect for the way Adams plays

Aug 15, 2015
When you a play a side like Wigan, you need all your players on it. Sawyer was getting exposed for pace as per usual, Lameiras had a poor game, Ness and Sarcevic combined good periods with poor periods. We kept lumping balls to Taylor but Burn is a monster of a man and had the majority of the aerial battles.

Ness is clearly not match fit. I will judge him when fully fit. Sarcevic improved as the game went on but he's still someone that in my view isn't up to scratch. His touch is woeful and he has no sense of composure. Shame, as he gets himself into good positions. As a combination it wasn't strong enough.

Lameiras needs to learn to be more direct when it matters. Overplays it far too much when sometimes he's better off running at the defence. Didn't do enough of that today and then started to give possession away also - Adams was right to haul him off. Needs to stop with the silly short corners also. The same sadly goes for Sawyer. It's ok for now but if we want to progress into the Championship we will require better.

Threlkeld clearly isn't at the level we know he is capable of and looking at him I'm not sure we'll see the real him until next season, sadly. Currently a shadow of the player for me and can only hope it's fitness related.

Fox and Carey excellent today. Got on the ball, showed desire and were direct with their approach. Sarce, Ness and Lameiras were lacking in that and too much unnecessary flicks and dawdling in possession. Needed more from them and better decision making with the ball. Keeping it simple the way Toums would do.

Vyner looks promising and a good passer. Perhaps a bit too casual but promising start.

Today we needed an 'in behind' type of striker to give our play another dimension and therefore we couldn't break Wigan down. Why we kept lumping it up to Burn, I don't know. Good performance but thought the three of Sarce, Ness and Lameiras didn't contribute enough over the 90 minutes. We otherwise might have got something from that.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
For all our possession we didn't really create much and when we did the quality of end product just wasn't there. You can see why Wigan are top of the league. 1st half we were the better team overall but 2nd half they killed us off with the help of some woeful refereeing.

Lameiras struggled in the heavy ground and even Carey was snuffed out by their fast RB.

NESS is a PASSENGER. If I played that badly in a sunday am pub game I would hang up my boots. Certainly no replacement for Toums and is so negative and slow. His first thought is sideways or back and even simple balls back to players are to their wrong feet or hospital balls.
Have we actually won a game with this guy in the team ??????

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Agree with the main thread that we played well against a team with better players and a ref who let them get away with too much sheer physical abuse of our players. Disagree with comments re Ness, Sarcs and Lameiras, who I thought played well enough although all three faded as the game went on. Yes we miss Toums, who wouldn't, but we may not be able to replace him. I don't think our current midfield is that bad and Sarcs has most definitely upped his game. Wish he could shoot though, but maybe that will improve. Ness has only played two games since coming back and has surprised me so far, better than I remember from the start of the season. This whole team is unrecognisable from that of Sept/October. So I'm a bit disappointed because I think 3-1 flatters Wigan but overall we put in an energetic and committed team performance with plenty of attacking intent. I'm 90% happy with that.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
The reason we lost in my opinion was fairly simple * delivery into the box. Wigan's delivery was superb. Outs often didn't beat the first man or was floated in rather than hit with pace. Did Walton have a save to make? Maybe one from a soft header. Other than that, not a lot of difference between the sides.

A cracking game of football despite the result.

Dec 3, 2005
I dont understand some peoples accessement of Lameires - as soon as he left the pitch, any hope of getting anything from the game was gone - Argyle went flat. He was all over the place, trying to get 'that' pass through their defence, only by luck by their defenders did they mange to divert it or our players were not quite on the same level of thought.

The Ref and his team were aweful - something that is becoming common place - how on earth they kept 11 players on the pitch, i do not know. One minutes he is tryng to play the advantage - the next he blows up when Lameireas is through!!

Great game to watch - though it died out in the later part of the 2nd half - Wigan are a good team, and took their chances well, Argyle almost matched them, so I am not dispondent after the defeat. Wigan are steamrolling this league - we have to just bounce back at Oldham.

The new lad from Bristol, Vyner had a very good debut, fitting in very well.

In the main Argyle need to improve on their delivery into the box and be brave and go for the shot - several times a shot was on, but it was not taken.

Great respect for Cyril Regis and the applause after 5 minutes for Ryan.

I didnt like Wigan's 'dark side' some of their antics were unexpected - I was expecting them to relie entirely on their football.

Aug 2, 2011
Probably as good a game of footie as I have seen at HP this season. We did not deserve to lose. By far the better side first half although to be fair they came back second half. IMO we gave them a football lesson in the first half.

Not badly disappointed we showed some really nice touches but do feel the gods were not on our side today. Wigan will go up but on that display we can have hope going forward.

Mar 23, 2008
argobenz":3cdw0ayc said:
Deacster":3cdw0ayc said:
The best team lost. Referee was inept, Wigan cynical and streetwise but other than the goals they didn't threaten. Stick a decent midfielder or two in there and we are a seriously decent team. Ness a passenger as always, Sarcevic did so much good work in filling holes ans nicking the ball only to give it away, always gets in good positions but cant finish.

That's a green tint if ever I heard one.

Truth is, we looked really good first half, but the 2nd goal before the break knocked us, and we never recovered, except for a GC free kick we didn't create anything like a chance in the second half.

Funny enough I'm not overly disappointed, although I'd argue 1-2 would have been fairer. As there were parts of that game where you couldn't tell which side were top, so Argyle are definitely finding their feet in this league.

That said, they were a good side and 33, 15, 9 were class, I expect them to romp away with the league. And the good news is we've played them twice so they will be playing teams around us so bloody good luck to them.

On the down side for them what crap support for top of the league, they must have been really envious of a very good green army attendance. :scarf:
No green tint, the better team did lose.